Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How good is the CW and PSK decode with the KX3?  (Read 3217 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »

Am considering a KX3 for portable use and would like to ask anyone who has one how they like the CW and PSK decode. Also how would you rate the CW decode in marginal conditions?

Zack
N8FNR
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »

Firstly, I only have a K3, but the decoding will be similar...

CW is never going to be anywhere near 100% decoded by software, as it's mostly hand sent and machines tend to decode it exactly as it's sent, poor spacing, static crashes adding extra dits, and all. And that's under good conditions. Any halfway reasonable operator will decode CW far better than the K3/KX3.

Similarly, while a K3 will decode PSK31 pretty well, the usual method of operating is with a whole spread of 2.5 ~ 3 KHz of signals where you click on one signal and work that station. With the inbuilt decoder in the K3, you have to tune to a single PSK31 signal using the tuning knob. So yes it works, but it's far less convenient than using a laptop or desktop computer.

Bottom line, decode CW by ear and use a computer for data modes.

73 Dave
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »

to-Zack-N8FNR....

Hi Zack,
   I have the KX3...I LOVE THE RIG.... and I've used the CW decode a couple of times to show my grandkids what DW/RTTY looks like on the display. Zack, I'm from the "old school" where if you're using CW....you let your ears and brain do the decoding.....putting it down  on paper with pen/pencil. With that being said....the couple of times that I've used my KX3's decode feature for CW/RTTY/etc....it worked very well and was easy to use with a 549 signal on 40 meters..I was especially impressed on  RTTY with its ability copying solidly. I have never used my KX3's decode function on a very weak/marginal signal. However,it's my opinion, that I think the KX3 would still work  on a weak signal because of the narrow filtering when using its decoder. I hope that helps you Zack in maybe answering the question you posed in your posting.
Best regards with many 72....73...GD DX.
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp --
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »

to-Zack-N8FNR....

Hi Zack,
   I have the KX3...I LOVE THE RIG.... and I've used the CW decode a couple of times to show my grandkids what CW/RTTY looks like on the display.
Zack, I'm from the "old school" where if you're using CW....you let your ears and brain do the decoding.....putting it down  on paper with pen/pencil.
With that being said....the couple of times that I've used my KX3's decode feature for CW/RTTY/etc....it worked very well and was easy to use with a 549 signal on 40 meters..I was especially impressed on  RTTY with its ability copying solidly. I have never used my KX3's decode function on a very weak/marginal signal. However,it's my opinion, that I think the KX3 would still work  on a weak signal because of the narrow filtering when using its decoder. I hope that helps you Zack in maybe answering the question you posed in your posting.
Best regards with many 72....73...GD DX.
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp --
N3IG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:12:31 AM »

It really is hit and miss. If the sender is properly using a electronic keyer with paddles it does pretty well on cw, but if he is using a bug or strait key it has a harder time unless they have a good fist. If he sends a "C" too slowly it will read as "T E T E" etc. The brain puts together everything being sent so you know it was a "C" but the decoder only knows what it hears at that instant.
      If you need a decoder I think the free computer program CW Decoder is the best I have seen if you have a way to hook the radio to the computer.
      I love my KX3 but if you buy one just because it has a decoder I think you would be disappointed.

73, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: