The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Ham Radio Deluxe?  (Read 50974 times)
AF5DN

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »

I am asking HRD users, what is the one thing that makes HRD worthwhile to you? 
I can’t seem to justify to myself $99 for Ham Radio software of any kind.   I am not seeing the value in it and would like to understand why others think it worth the price.
Considering a decent SDR up converter is in the $50 buck range and I am thinking that would be more useful finding DX.
What’s the big deal with HRD? 

I just want to hear someone else’s compelling reason. 

KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:51:46 PM »

Why HRD?  It depends on how you operate.  Here is a site to download the last free copy of HRD.
http://www.dxzone.com/dx28789/ham-radio-deluxe-5-24-38-download.html

Then you can try it and decide for yourself.  FWIW,  I used HRD for a while but I found that DXlab suite is better for me.  I mainly want electronic logging and support for EQSL and LOTW.  Sometimes I also use the spot collector program.  HRD does all of the above with a heavy support for rig control.  For some rigs,  you can control all or most of the radio functions from the computer with HRD.  This can reduce the need to work through menus.

Give it a try and see for yourself.  But also try DXlab Suite

KA9CCH
Levert
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:57:08 PM »

In my wife's case, she has cerebral palsy so finds HRD better for operating the radio

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »

Why Buy It:  Because it does just about everything ham related.  My suggestion is download Ver 6.2 and take the 30 day free ride and see for yourself.

Off the top of my head what I like:

The Logbook is very powerful, as well as logging, QSL cards etc it does cluster info, cluster filters, alarms for stations or countries your looking for.  You can instantly see if a listed station or country is already in your log on that band, mode and if the contact is confirmed.  Lets you know if the person is on lotw or eqsl.

DM780 decodes just about everything digital, from pictures to multiple CW contacts, it does PSK31, RTTY, and just about every digital mode in between.  Just click on a stations name while he's typing and it automatically brings up his QRZ info and puts everything in a log page just waiting for you to hit OK and it's a logged contact.

Rotator control from every aspect. just point and click on the map or look up a country by name.  You can even click on the station call in the cluster listing and the rotator can track that station.

Satellite software:  Talking to other people via satellite is easy with HRD.  It tracks all known satellites on a map, with Circle's around them showing when they are in range of your QTH in realtime.  It adjusts the radio Freq in both Rx and Tx for the doppler effect.  You can add and edit the satellite list.

Rig Control:  HRD for most radios will put every radio control item on your PC screen, even the ones that are buried deep down in menu's.

I was also hesitant to spend the money because I was using 5.24 and felt happy with that.   In the end I am glad I did because 6.2 is a pleasure to use.  So many new features and no more crashes like V5.24

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:17:56 PM »

I bought it because it supported the Yaesu FTDX-3000 and I could access a number of functions without going through the menus. I wasted my money I believe. There are still glaring problems with the software. First the HRD and The logger still use two entirely different methods of storing favorite frequencies and are not shareable so you have to duplicate entries to populate both programs. Second the favorites of both programs don't even utilize the same modes for defining how to set the radio. In HRD I would have to set the mode to PKT - to get the radio to the required DATA USB and in the log I can actually set DATA USB as it allows me to direct entry instead of a pull down list as in HRD. There is no rhyme or reason for this behavior to me.

There are other thing I don't personally care for but can't actually call them flaws just different than I would prefer.

Also one of the first thing the new owners did was remove the ability of the existing bridge programs that allowed access by DXLabs software to function, again with no explanation or apparent reason.

I will not be renewing my support when due until these items are corrected. Until then I will continue using DXLabs.

To me the ideal setup is to use the HRD radio control with DX labs log and other programs and then DM-780 for the digital again all feeding my DXLabs log. I had this with the HRD 5.xx versions and the bridge programs but HRD 5.xx does not support the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

I don't understand why the owners of HRD would care about linkage to the suite to other software if I am still paying for the privilege, makes no sense to me.
W7BWT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »

I bought it about a month ago along with a new Navigator with the intent of operating in MT 63. My impression after a month of fighting with it is that it's an extremely powerful, complex, full featured and wonderful product if your a retired computer engineer with nothing else to do. For mere mortals is the most irritating, frustrating, mind-numbing waste of money imaginable.
W7BWT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »

Well, I think I came up with a definitive answer on why to pay for Ham Radio Deluxe: tech support. In my post above I vented about how frustrating it's been trying to get it all to work. It finally got resolved after two remote sessions with HRD's tech support. Who knows if I'd have ever figured it out on my own, but their tech support guys figured it out in a matter of minutes.

So there you go, the answer to your question "Why Ham Radio Deluxe."
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »

Why NOT Fldigi???
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »

Why NOT Fldigi???

If you installed both of them and compared them you would not ask that question.
FLdigi is an ok program but its not in the same league with HRD 6.2

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »

I bought it about a month ago along with a new Navigator with the intent of operating in MT 63. My impression after a month of fighting with it is that it's an extremely powerful, complex, full featured and wonderful product if your a retired computer engineer with nothing else to do. For mere mortals is the most irritating, frustrating, mind-numbing waste of money imaginable.

Totally untrue.  If you understand the basics of Windows, then HRD will work.  Did you call support? Did Tim, Jason, Jim or Mike set it up for you, if not, then you wasted your time, since we can remote in and can config it in an hour or less
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »

W4PC he retracted his statement in the following post when he called HRD and got his setup running.  Selling software to the ham community must be very challenging to say the least.
It took me maybe an hour to setup HRD the first time and that included a lot of customization of the GUI.  We sometimes forget that many Hams are retired people from the days before PC usage was common place. I can imagine that a lot of this stuff is very confusing if your not use to it.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »

HRD is in a class of its own. To compare HRD capabilities to those offered by a SDR upconverter is to compare a cabin cruiser to a rowboat.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 09:33:48 AM »

I just need logging, LOTW, DX spotting and award tracking support.  I started off using HRD a long time ago.  For me it tried to do too many things and had a cluttered user interface.  That may have changed in the paid version?  I switched to DX Labs Suite and have been really happy with it.  There is a learning curve but it's not that hard to learn.  It does a great job helping me locate needed DX and track awards. 

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »

I did not pay the $99 for it, I am still using the last build pre-payment.

I do think its the Cadillac of logging programs and like any Caddy it can be glorious smooth and luxurious. The software does just about anything you need. It has glitches and such but overall its very easy to set-up and use. It has most anything you want for daily operating on most modes in a single program. It looks nice, and once you have the parameters (macros, colors, computer-to-rig settings, etc.) set it kinda just goes. Unlike DX Labs the screen are well organized and you do not have a ton of little windows to figure out and set based on how you need to operate. Unlike other Logging programs it is integrated well with your operating habits (Rig Control, Satellite, and Data.)

The glitches I have been lead to believe have largely been dealt with in the pay version but with XP canceled and my personal loathing to get Wind-blows 8 running on another machine I am looking Linux. (My main home computer is a Mac.) I have not had many glitches overall that I cannot rationalize are my own doing. The one that bugs me is, I think, MFSK has one mode that the frequency won't change on the software. I have to change the VFO. But I have only made 1 MFSK contact in my life and frankly that is not a priority.

HRD has become a gold standard for daily operating. Folks often use it to compare how well/how badly other software runs because of its ease of use and fairly complete digital set.

Now I will state that it is NOT and remains NOT a contesting program. If you like to contest I'd go with a slim down and focused piece of software for that. I like N3FJP but I've also enjoyed Write-log. I've not been an N1MM man but I might try yet again.

Will I spend cash on it? Maybe someday. maybe Windows sorts its stuff out and makes me want to get a laptop with their stufff again? For now I am going to learn Linux and see what resides over in the Wild West of computing.

KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »

May I drag my favorite open source logging and partial rig control product into the mix? I have found Logger32 to be my logging program of choice. It has supported both my FT-950 and FT-45oD since they came out. I use N1MM Logger for contesting and then import ADI from there to Logger32 to keep all logs in one place, Works well to LOTW.

Just my no cents, product list.

KF7CG
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: