The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Ham Radio Deluxe?  (Read 49729 times)
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 08:44:58 AM »

It is an excellent program but bloated. I had V6 and like it and yes, support is very good. However, I did not like the logging interface where you have to have an additional window open to log a qso.

Found Log4OM on the net and started using that. Better logger, no extraneous windows to log a qso, and fabulous interface and support. It plays with fldigi, so digital modes are covered. Even though the program is free, make a nice donation if you keep it. HRD, Log4OM, etc... take blood, sweat and tears to code -people should be fairly compensated for their time and effort.

Don KF7DS
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »

I keep hearing HRD is bloated.  What exactly does one mean by "Bloated"?  Does it use too much disk space?  Does it use too much memory or CPU?  Is there a lot of unnecessary applications for you?

WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:12 AM »

I am in the minority but I  don't like HRD, just too much going on.  I tried it, didn't like it, even when it was free.  I don't like MultiPSK for the same reason - great program but criminy, that GUI!   I use the DXLabs suite which I think probably does more (if that's what you want) than HRD for free (forever) and you don't need to pay $50 a year for "tech support".
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »

I keep hearing HRD is bloated.  What exactly does one mean by "Bloated"?  Does it use too much disk space?  Does it use too much memory or CPU?  Is there a lot of unnecessary applications for you?

No it's a statement made by people who don't have a clue whats involved in writing modern software that runs on multiple Windows OS versions.  HRD is 100mb installation file and that covers all the modules.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »

I am in the minority but I  don't like HRD, just too much going on.  I tried it, didn't like it, even when it was free.  I don't like MultiPSK for the same reason - great program but criminy, that GUI!   I use the DXLabs suite which I think probably does more (if that's what you want) than HRD for free (forever) and you don't need to pay $50 a year for "tech support".

That's optional, you don't have to pay $50.00 every year. You wont get new features and support, but you will get bug fixes.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 02:00:56 AM »

HRD is indeed hardcore software!
What you might think is that this also means it's difficult to setup and use.
Well the setup is as complicated as you want it to be, if your going too add lots of hardware it can take a few hours to get it all configured.  If your thinking about daily use it's basically as easy or hard as you want it to be, which is a case of how many of the module will you be using.
I found it best to start small and learn a new  one when I felt confident I knew the ins and outs of my last one..  Typical user will only need rig control and the logger working and the rest can be learned later.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »

No it's a statement made by people who don't have a clue whats involved in writing modern software that runs on multiple Windows OS versions.  HRD is 100mb installation file and that covers all the modules.

I have a very good idea as what it takes to write commercial software. I do think HRD is a nice program with a pretty good UI. By bloated I mean it tries to be the "Swiss army knife" of ham software. Too many things going on - trying to be too much to too many. The logger is "fair" and it's interface is clumsy, etc.....

Now, DXLabs is a good example of a crappy interface -Dave has a very good suite of programs that could really use a UI ambulance.

Don't want to start a flame war - just my opinion.

Don KF7DS

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:25:35 AM by KF7DS » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »

No doubt that it is a Swiss Army knife but just like the old advert use to say you won't care about that saw blade until your stuck out in the woods.  I never thought I would use the Satellite module until one day after reading an article I decided to see if I could hear one of the Oscar satellites. To my amazement on the first go I could hear two guys talking as it passed by, but the Doppler effect was pretty bad.  Then I remembered that HRD had a sat module so I set that up and it did everything for me, constant auto freq shifting, letting me know when the sat would pass and it had all the frequencies programmed in.  I pretty much was hooked on the Swiss Army knife approach from that point till onward.  Better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »

Now, DXLabs is a good example of a crappy interface -Dave has a very good suite of programs that could really use a UI ambulance.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Here are some differing points of view.

Dave, AA6YQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

Dave, AA6YQ

It is hardly an opinion. DXLABs has an ugly UI which will remind everyone of the Win 3 era. Not only is the UI ugly, worse - it is non-intuitive, the ( many, many) windows have no menus, can not be maximized to the size of the monitor. DXLab's UI should have been re-worked eons ago to bring the interface into the Win7/8 era. Instead the author of DxLabs promotes constantly to one and all that the UI is fine. Like the naked Emperor (The Emperor's New Clothes story) his users keep insisting and telling him it looks fine. Worse yet - DxLabs author believes them.

I suspect that he has neither the time, software tools nor skills necessary to bring DXLabs up to the UI standards of his logger competition.

Good things can be said about DxLabs but having a decent modern Windows and non ugly interface is not one of them. Not an opinion, this is a FACT.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:12:15 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »

the ( many, many) windows have no menus.

That's right, DXLab offers a large number of windows that the user can choose to display. Modern DXing involves a wide range of activities: propagation forecasting, NCDXF beacon monitoring, propagation visualization and analysis, DX station operating patterns, transceiver control, SDR and panadaptor interoperation, support for frequency-dependent devices like tuners and amplifiers, language translation, CW generation, phone voice keying, PSK 31/63/125 modulation and demodulation, RTTY modulation and demodulation, location determination, antenna rotator control, logging, synchronization with eQSL and LoTW, interoperation with Club Log, award tracking, QSL route discovery, QSL card/label printing, award submission, award credit management, and interoperation with other amateur radio applications. DXLab provides support for each of these activities, typically in a window optimized to the activity at hand. These are "first class" windows that can be placed anywhere on any monitor; they are not restricted to a single "parent window" limited to one monitor, and managed by another scheme that users must learn.

DXLab applications provide directly visible controls (buttons, selectors, sliders, etc.) through which their functionality is accessible, eliminating the need to search through a menu structure to find the desired function. When the functionality available exceeds what can be made easily accessible in a single window of modest size, a tab for each primary usage scenario is provided, making it easy to quickly access the desired functionality. In DXKeeper, for example, these tabs are labeled "Log QSOs", "QSL", "Check Progress", "my QTHs", "Import QSOs", and "Export QSOs". Every application provides a Configuration window through which its functionality can be modified by the user to suit his or her needs.

can not be maximized to the size of the monitor

Correct. DXLab windows are designed to co-exist on screen with each other and with the windows displayed by other applications with which DXLab interoperates. While many DXLab windows are resizable, it's rarely appropriate to expand one of them to consume an entire monitor, so no "one-click" ability to do so is provided.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:38:40 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
KB3NPH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »

It appears to me the TOPIC of this discussion is "Why Ham Radio Deluxe?"  I don't see a thing in the topic that mentions Ham Radio Deluxe VS DXLab.  Again Dave, AA6YQ, must jump in and start promoting freeware.  I'm sure if there was a discussion about DXLab and the developers/staff from HRD would step in and start promoting their commercial software, Dave would certainly get extremely aggravated and would certainly have something to say about it.

Dave,  DXLab is FREEWARE, that's great.  You have the RIGHT to produce such a piece of software as DXLab and provide it as FREEWARE, even if it is so antiquated in appearance and the programming platform, Visual Basic, is also antiquated.

You don't see the authors of FLDigi, DigiPan, MultiPSK, or other freeware or commercial offerings jumping into every single discussion about YOUR software, or anyone Else's.  Why don't take a lesson from those authors.  If the TOPIC pertains to DXLab, then fine, get in there and promote.  If it doesn't, STAY OUT.  Most of us are tired of hearing all your BS about DXLab and it just turns people away from your product because of your constant hammering on how great it is.

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »

One point Dave - AA6YQ continually misses.  DX Labs is designed for and caters too those actively and strongly centric to DXing.  And those who enjoy this niche are very happy with DX Labs.

HRD However works for ALL aspects of Ham Radio.  Whether Satellites (DX Labs does not support Sats), DigiModes (DX Labs does have very limited integrated DigiMode support), rotor controls (DX Labs has a very rudimentary rotor interface), and a more basic and utilitarian appearance.  For those who are looking for that.  Great.  HRD provides many of the same functions DX Labs does, but does not dive deeply into the esoteric DXer functionality such as Beacon Monitoring and VOCAP prediction.

This is like HRD Logbook versus N1MM Logger.  N1MM is highly focused and centric to contesters.  HRD does contest logging.  Which is better depends on your needs.  Nothing is perfect.

HRD provides a fully integrated Digital Modes program (DM780), a fully integrated rotor control program with several 'point to turn' functions, and a program supporting a complete satellite station.  HRD logbook does worked station logging, electronis log up and downloads, DX Cluster displays, Solar Data, Voice recording, and many more features.  It is modular as you only start the programs necessary for your goals and desires.  Is highly customizable and has a modern software User Interface providing at a glance station status.  These are the functions used by the vast majority of amateurs use and need with casual station operation.  This is not to say you can't use HRD for full fledged contesting or DXing.  You can.  And very easily I may add.  And just as with DX Labs you can get the features not included with HRD as 3rd party apps.  If you need VOCAP path prediction, dowload that software and there you have it.

This makes DX Labs versus HRD arguments unnecessary and like chasing a greased pig at the county fair.

What does Gaul me is Dave's continual self promoting of his product without paying for advertisement space.  And given his financial mean - he can surely afford it!  I wish the moderators and owners of the forums board he does this on will see this and realize what the rest of us do.  Interestingly I never see Tom - N1MM start these 'My Logger is Better' discords like AA6YQ does!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:52:14 AM by KB1NXE » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 09:37:51 AM »

What does Gaul me is Dave's continual self promoting of his product without paying for advertisement space.  

I wish the moderators and owners of the forums board he does this on will see this and realize what the rest of us do.  Interestingly I never see Tom - N1MM start these 'My Logger is Better' discords like AA6YQ does!

I never see any other Logger Authors constantly self promote like AA6YQ. He needs severe moderation from eham. He says the S.O.S over and over and over and over again. It would not be so annoying if he would just come up with some new arguments. Instead he is spinning the same crap he was using years ago. Like DxLabs - AA6YQ lives in the past....

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »

Dave, AA6YQ, must jump in and start promoting freeware. 

You have the RIGHT to produce such a piece of software as DXLab and provide it as FREEWARE, even if it is so antiquated in appearance and the programming platform, Visual Basic, is also antiquated.

You don't see the authors of FLDigi, DigiPan, MultiPSK, or other freeware or commercial offerings jumping into every single discussion about YOUR software, or anyone Else's.  Why don't take a lesson from those authors. 

STAY OUT.  Most of us are tired of hearing all your BS about DXLab and it just turns people away from your product because of your constant hammering on how great it is.

Gosh I thought I wrote the above post until I saw the KB3NPH call.  Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: