Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RigBlaster Plug & Play / FT-897D  (Read 681 times)
KC9IMT

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »

I've installed the RigBlaster, hooked the cable up to the Data port of the FT-897D...

Tried to start up Ham Radio Deluxe - it can find the radio on the proper COM port (COM 11) but can't get a frequency...  Radio is set to CAT (in CAT/LIN/TUN) and 4800 bps across the board.

Also can't get PSK31 Deluxe to work.  Suggestions?
KF4KQI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »

Do you have both the data and cat cable hooked up to the radio?
KC9IMT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:39:42 AM »

No.  Per the RigBlaster website, I didn't think I needed one.
KF4KQI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 07:38:50 PM »

I don't have the plug and play RigBlaster, but came close to purchasing one so I read up on it a lot.  

Anyway, with the Yaesu rigs, the data port and cat port are separate.  You need to buy the cat cable that hooks up to the plug&Play and the radio before you can control it.  The data cable will only key the rig and transfer sound back and forth too it.

I have the FT857D which is basically the same radio.  

http://www.westmountainradio.com/Image/StoreConfigs/catmini_cbl.htm
That is the cable you need, it is on the pricing page at west mountains site, and I have found it at HRO as well.
KC9IMT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:26:04 PM »

Thanks for the info!  I really do appreciate it!

Here's the thing though...  This is supplied as optional.  I have no interest in "controlling" the radio, through Ham Radio Deluxe or anything like that.  All I want to do is have the radio key up and send PSK31 signals for now.

Speaking of which, I think I finally got that working with just the DATA port.  I can type something in PSK31 Deluxe (a CQ call, for example) and when I hit transmit, the radio will key up, and will show approximately 100 watts of output (when properly tuned) but no one will reply to my CQ signals.  It's probably just a low signal at this point, but I'm going to keep trying.

The radio still works, so I haven't blown anything up yet at least!!!  hi hi hi ;-)

I'm open for any other suggestions at this point...  Or if someone would like to meet on 40m PSK some night to help me test!

W9BKO, 73!

--
-Chris
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:05:44 AM »

Sounds like you just need to adjust the volume. I have the same setup and you do not need the CAT cable (although it is a nice add on and worth it, IMO). The PTT line is triggered by CTS or RTS and you'll see either the CW or PTT light up, depending on which line your software uses. They both trigger the PTT pin on the data cable. You may want to wrap a few turns of the cable around a torridial core, as the shielding on this otherwise good interface is not as good as it could be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: