Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMI/QRM From Enphase solar microinverter?  (Read 8777 times)
N0URE

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »

Does anyone have any experience with the Enphase microinverter used
on solar panel systems? Anyone know what the AC wave shape looks like?

John
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »

I have Chinese Enphase equivalents on my solar panels.  They do produce RFI.  I am in the process of building line filters for them to reduce the RFI as much as possible.  I've already got chokes on them to eliminate the RFI at 7 Mhz and above but they still are making RFI on the long wave and marine bands.  I'll be trying FT240-77 toroid line chokes for that, one per inverter.

These units shut down if disconnected from the grid, so there is no way to look at the output wave form on its own.  The specs on them say that the THD on the output is less than 5%.

Hope this helps.

Jim/ND6P
W1RFI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:47:02 AM »

I think that the solar inverters are a potential RFI problem in the making.  Unfortunately, ARRL has received few reports, so it has not yet identified the problem brands and models.

If any ham does know of solar inverters causing RFI from a neighbor's house, please report them to Mike Gruber at ARRL HQ, rfi@arrl.org.

Thanks, 
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

If you buy European brands like SMA.Sunnyboy  or Aurora you will have ZERO RFI problems. My whole house runs on solar using  Sunnyboy equipment and I can walk right up to the inverter installation  with my  portable receiver and not hear a peep on any band. Its incredibly good.  You wont be so lucky with the chinese garbage.

My neighbor has an  the Italian Aurora inverters and these inverters are also very good. If I walk right next door to the AUrora I can hear some birdies, however these are so low even if you were running a dipole above the inverter you would not be able to hear them.

There is huge difference between  the European designed inverters and the cheap chinese junk inverters which are unlicensed jamming transmitters they so bad.

If you a ham and wanting to install solar look at the Sunnboy/SMA products you cant go wrong.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »

unlike the US, the EU doesn't kid around when it finalizes a requirement.  get caught shipping one unit out of spec, customs dumps your crud off the dock until you can prove it's fixed, and to stay.

in the US, assuming anybody complains, and assuming anybody is checking their email at the regulator, and assuming you get past several years of "it's broken" "no speeka da Anglaish" communications, the slop shippers might get a $10 fine.
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »

I solved the RFI problem on my Chinese grid tie inverters by replacing the plain IEC receptacle with a RFI/EMI noise filter type, adding 4 ferrite beads to the positive and negative DC leads inside the case, and wrapping 8 turns of the AC power cord on a FT 240-77 toroid. 

Jim/ND6P
WM1V

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »

If my memory serves me, there are two means by which the RFI from solar inverters is distributed - radiation, and conduction through the electrical system of the house. By going up to the European systems with a portable radio and finding no interference, I infer that no radiated noise was found. Did you have to do anything extra to your radio power sources in the home to reduce any conducted interference from the European systems?

Tnx -Hank/WM1V
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »

I was walking today in a local park with my 2m HT (Yaesu/Vertex VX-150), monitoring several repeaters and simplex. I found that I would get interference (a buzzing sound) on some 2m frequencies when I passed underneath solar panels mounted on the utility poles. POCO installed them, so I don't know what brand they are - but are pretty much the standard here in NJ for local installation.
The RFI wasn't so bad that I couldn't hear the repeaters when they were keyed up, but forget working weak signals. I didn't have any issues with these particular panels on 146.520, but I think that could vary depending on the brand or type.

I am sure these panels meet applicable FCC regulations, but I sure hope POCO doesn't install one on the pole outside my house. If they do, I can kiss 2m "dxing" goodbye. I enjoy working the weak signals with my little 5W HT and Ringo Ranger ARX-2B on the house. It's only about 50 feet from the utility pole. I guess if it does come to pass I could file a complaint with the FCC, so long as I can confirm that the problem isn't my radio. I also have a Yaesu FT-530, so I could test with another radio if need be.

Frank/KE2KB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: