Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Drones, a local problem. How can I jam them?  (Read 77027 times)
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2014, 07:52:42 PM »

would not surprise me if the liability issues ground commercial use and the terrorist issues ground personal use.  science and military only probably. but i am often wrong in my prognostications...
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »

Best news I've heard about the subject since it was brought up.  Any other issue is, for me, moot.  In fact, I've often thought that I might like to try flying one of those myself except, being a quintessential klutz, I don't think I could ever get used to the reversed controls when the aircraft was flying toward me.  Its scary to think what might happen.
Tom

Many of the multi-copter RCs have settings where you can fly them from your perspective, not from the aircraft's perspective.  In simple terms, you don't have to reverse the controls.
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2014, 12:48:05 AM »

Bolas anyone?   Cheesy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas

Really though, if they lose the signal they hover until the battery runs out then fall on your head (or your kid's head)?  What if they crash into each other, or into a power line?  What happens if their li-ion batteries rupture in a crash in your yard and catch fire?

There are serious liability issues here, so are they carrying insurance?  If they were flying in my yard I'd ask them these questions then tell them to get lost when they can't answer them.  If I saw them again I'd toss a rope into the props and toss the thing in my garbage can.  Certainly they can find a safer place to fly them eh?

It's a problem when people start to worship technology so much, that they feel it is more important than other peoples' safety, privacy, and peace of mind.

Cheero,

Mark.

N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2014, 05:12:29 AM »

Cute, but again, 100% illegal by federal law.

No worries, not even fedz obey federal law.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2014, 05:55:17 AM »

I don't think I could ever get used to the reversed controls when the aircraft was flying toward me.  Its scary to think what might happen.
Tom

Why couldn't you have a switch to reverse controls for such a maneuver?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2014, 06:51:28 AM »

Really though, if they lose the signal they hover until the battery runs out then fall on your head (or your kid's head)? 

In most cases they have an Return To Home feature if they lose signal. 

What if they crash into each other, or into a power line? 

If they crash into each other, they fall down.  If they hit a power line they could cause a problem.  But they again this has long been (many decades) the case with Remote Control planes.

What happens if their li-ion batteries rupture in a crash in your yard and catch fire?

I have never ever heard of such a thing happening.

If I saw them again I'd toss a rope into the props and toss the thing in my garbage can.  Certainly they can find a safer place to fly them eh?

You would intentionally cause a crash after all the concerns you just listed?
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »

.......It's a problem when people start to worship technology so much, that they feel it is more important than other peoples' safety, privacy, and peace of mind.
True.  Also applies to Mugbook and Ifonz. 
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2014, 12:00:08 PM »

Really though, if they lose the signal they hover until the battery runs out then fall on your head (or your kid's head)? 

What if they crash into each other, or into a power line? 

If they crash into each other, they fall down.  If they hit a power line they could cause a problem.  But they again this has long been (many decades) the case with Remote Control planes.

What happens if their li-ion batteries rupture in a crash in your yard and catch fire?

I have never ever heard of such a thing happening.

If I saw them again I'd toss a rope into the props and toss the thing in my garbage can.  Certainly they can find a safer place to fly them eh?

You would intentionally cause a crash after all the concerns you just listed?

Much better if the have return to home signal!

RC planes are normally flown in organized and marked areas I think, not in other people's yards without their permission.

Wow gravity!  They fall down really?  I was imaging it might be possible if one is flying a drone in someone's yard, it might be a danger if they do have an accident and land on
someone.

Yes after all these concerns, if I felt someone flying a drone (or helicopter or plane) that was endangering someone in my yard, and after asking them not to do it, and they refuse I just might.  I would try the police first, but if all else fails, with a fire extinguisher ready and a hard hat maybe hihi!

Do you think it's right flying drones in people's yards without asking their permission, and continuing to do it when they ask you not too?  I'm not anti-drone or anti-fun, I just think they should be operate with respect to others' rights.

Cheers,

Mark

KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »

RC planes are normally flown in organized and marked areas I think, not in other people's yards without their permission.

That is really all these are, RC aircraft.  "Drone" is the incorrect, albeit popular term for these devices.

Do you think it's right flying drones in people's yards without asking their permission, and continuing to do it when they ask you not too?  I'm not anti-drone or anti-fun, I just think they should be operate with respect to others' rights.

I agree that they should respect the rights of others and most of those who operate these devices also agree.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »

You have a reasonable right to privacy but you must use the legal system to enforce it. You can't take the law into your own hands and violate other laws in the process.

I don't own a gun and do not have a teen-age daughter, but if I did and saw a drone hovering 25 ft away from that daughter's bedroom window, i would probably soon find myself in need of good legal counsel. 
KK6DCT

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »

This is obviously a topic for heated debate on what is legal and what is not, since the law has to catch up with the technology. As well as being a ham I also fly electric RC planes, although not multi-rotor copters. From what I understand with current US law, it's perfectly legal to fly over someone else's property with any RC type device whether it has cameras or not. It's not however legal to obviously be invading privacy by hovering directly outside of someone's window.

I didn't read through all the posts here, but all of the electronic or physical means to interfere with one of these devices is most likely also illegal. Whatever you're planning, I'd like to remind you that the larger of these copters have large LiPo battery packs that if damaged can explode and catch fire quite violently. They're mostly safe unless damaged. If you're planning on something as radical as shooting down one of these models, you're risking bringing it down in your or your neighbors property and have a violent chemical fire on your hands. Not a very smart course of action if you ask me.
KK6DCT

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2014, 02:47:36 PM »

In fact, I've often thought that I might like to try flying one of those myself except, being a quintessential klutz, I don't think I could ever get used to the reversed controls when the aircraft was flying toward me.  Its scary to think what might happen.
This is one of the key skills you need to learn to fly any RC flying model, whether it is a plane or a copter. The best advice (if you're interested in having a go) is to learn on a simulator on your PC first. The typical advice is to practice on the simulator until you can repeatedly and consistently take off and land without crashing, then you're ready to try on the real thing (sounds like obvious advice, but you'd be amazed how many people go out first time and crash on their first go).

Most multi-rotor copter have additional flying aids, like gyro stabilization, heading hold, return to base, features to make the flying easier, especially for beginners. You'd still want to (in my opinion) practice on a simulator first though.
KJ4PR

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »

Just google it and you will find the answer, however it is not legal. Your choice.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »

Maybe on a million dollar drone but not private ones.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »

Maybe on a million dollar drone but not private ones.

Incorrect.  A great many of the hobbiest ones have that feature. 
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: