Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Drones, a local problem. How can I jam them?  (Read 83387 times)
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 03:00:45 PM »

So, I am going to look into the possibility of a jamming device that uses the same technology for the control signals for these craft. My solution would be a high wattage carrier based signal that would "swamp" the receiver on the aircraft which would render flight control useless. Does anyone here have knowledge on what type of signals these craft use? Is it spread spectrum? VHF/UHF?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for reading.
73 de Billy N6YW

100% illegal. 
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »

Where I live, a load of 00 buckshot would be an effective jamming device.

Also 100% illegal
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:03:18 PM »

According to a source of mine, when these rotorcraft lose their signal, they revert to hovering in one spot until the batteries are depleted, thus falling from the sky. This may present a harmful situation for a passerby. There is much to learn on this subject. Back to the point of this thread, the idea is to prevent them from flying in our neighborhood, PERIOD. We have a right to our privacy and having to shutter my windows is not the point of this thread.

Actually many (most these days) have a return to home feature, so if communications is lost with the controller, they return to the point they were launched from. 
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »

Only 1.3K bucks:  http://www.maniacshobbycomplex.com/dji-phantom-2-vision--fpv-quadcopter.html?gclid=COGKnY-B6b8CFQMMaQodAqEAlg

Time for some diode noise?
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

According to a source of mine, when these rotorcraft lose their signal, they revert to hovering in one spot until the batteries are depleted, thus falling from the sky. This may present a harmful situation for a passerby. There is much to learn on this subject. Back to the point of this thread, the idea is to prevent them from flying in our neighborhood, PERIOD. We have a right to our privacy and having to shutter my windows is not the point of this thread.

Actually many (most these days) have a return to home feature, so if communications is lost with the controller, they return to the point they were launched from. 
Thank you for the response. That's an interesting aspect I hadn't considered. I suspect some of these craft can get expensive, so that is a built in safety to enable the owner to recover the thing. Pretty clever.
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »

Wow, that's the price of a good HF rig! This is the same model that we caught somebody with. He had the nerve to sit in someone's yard to unpack his rig for the flight. Some people have no respect.
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »

So, I am going to look into the possibility of a jamming device that uses the same technology for the control signals for these craft. My solution would be a high wattage carrier based signal that would "swamp" the receiver on the aircraft which would render flight control useless. Does anyone here have knowledge on what type of signals these craft use? Is it spread spectrum? VHF/UHF?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for reading.
73 de Billy N6YW

100% illegal. 

Please quote a source of this being illegal. How would this be enforced?
I am curious as to why it's legal for someone to use one of these Quad's to video capture a woman sunbathing in her back yard of an otherwise safe environment. To me, this is similar to movie theaters who have in the past used jamming devices to make cellphone use impossible. I seem to recall this being outlawed. Strange times we live in. It seems we are beginning to become servants of our technology instead of it's master.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:21:52 PM by N6YW » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 03:22:59 PM »

I'd set up a mannequin on a beach towel wearing just a bikini bottom. Make certain it's only visible from above. Surround it with netting on tall poles.

Like collecting butterflies, another good hobby. 
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »

The FCC certainly **can** fine you and/or revoke your amateur privileges for illegal operations on non-amateur frequencies. Since your transmission will be short, the drone users probably won't have a clue what happened. It's probably not a good idea to be advertising your intent on the Internet however.

It probably makes a lot more sense to get your local government to enact some laws to prevent operating drones within some set distance of private homes or restrict them to private parks or designated areas. It sounds like something that an HOA could restrict pretty easily if your home is in an HOA.

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »

Some interesting videos,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyGJBV1xnJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl2Z9N4Q82g
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:42 PM »

The FCC certainly **can** fine you and/or revoke your amateur privileges for illegal operations on non-amateur frequencies. Since your transmission will be short, the drone users probably won't have a clue what happened. It's probably not a good idea to be advertising your intent on the Internet however.

It probably makes a lot more sense to get your local government to enact some laws to prevent operating drones within some set distance of private homes or restrict them to private parks or designated areas. It sounds like something that an HOA could restrict pretty easily if your home is in an HOA.

It's not illegal to discuss on an open forum, intent or otherwise. Your assertion about the local government solution is currently in the works. Shooting a projectile is not going to happen either.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »

"I am curious as to why it's legal for someone to use one of these Quad's to video capture a woman sunbathing in her back yard of an otherwise safe environment"

It probably isn't legal - it likely violates privacy laws. What you've got to do is to file a complaint and get some authority to find out who is controlling it and enforce the law. Transmitting an unauthorized amount of power on an unauthorized frequency in order to crash the drones is likely to cause more problems for you than it solves, especially if some kid gets hurt in the process.

It's not legal for movie theaters to jam cell frequencies either. The first time someone has a medical issue and can't access 911 the theater is quite likely to have serious financial issues.

I didn't say it was illegal to discuss. I'm just saying that if you are going to violate the law it probably isn't to your benefit to be making a permanent record of it by discussing it on a forum.
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »

"I didn't say it was illegal to discuss. I'm just saying that if you are going to violate the law it probably isn't to your benefit to be making a permanent record of it by discussing it on a forum."

What law(s) would I be violating? Can you quote them? And while we are at it, what kind of liability insurance is required of someone who operates these craft? Couldn't they be deemed a public nuisance or hazard if not used properly?
My intent is to discover, not intentionally break laws. I am also upset at the obvious apathy the public seems to have regarding our personal privacy as it relates to these flying eyes. The hobby looks to be real fun and quite enjoyable if done with regard to others. Perhaps designating a no fly zone in certain areas would be a proper mandate, but then enforcing it would be another issue entirely. Personally, if someone was flying one of these directly over my house without my consent, I feel I have a right to disable the craft by any means that is within safe limits. If there is already a precedent having been made with this sort of issue, then a deeper inquiry will have to be sorted out and it sure wouldn't be here on a Ham Radio forum.
I think I have the answers I seek, thank you for the responses.
73 de Billy N6YW
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »

On a funny note, someone on facebook suggested using a fire hose. Brilliant.
Smiley
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »

Anything will stop working right if there's enough rf around it

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: