The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 73sssssssssss  (Read 30152 times)
KG9SF

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:40:38 PM »

Okay, this is admittedly a pet peeve of mine.

Why do so many hams insist on using the term "73's"?  It's completely INcorrect!

The term "73" is ALREADY plural.  It means "best regards".  So when someone says "73's" he's actually saying something like "bestest regardses".

Let's keep ham radio terms historically correct.

Scott
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »

Okay, this is admittedly a pet peeve of mine.

Why do so many hams insist on using the term "73's"?  It's completely INcorrect!

The term "73" is ALREADY plural.  It means "best regards".  So when someone says "73's" he's actually saying something like "bestest regardses".

Let's keep ham radio terms historically correct.

Scott

Oh, not again.

So Hiram Percy Maxim was not "historically" correct? http://hamgallery.com/qsl/country/USA/Connecticut/1aw.htm
See bottom right of his QSL card.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »

The first issue of QST in 1915 used 73's in a letter to the editor, HPM.  If he had a problem with usage he would have edited it out.

It's not that big a deal.  

73's, bill
KG9SF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

10-4, Bill.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »

It doesn`t bother me. What I am tired of hearing is,"KC2XXX for ID". When you say your callsign that`s a legal id. When I id on a repeater all I say is,"NO2A". No need to say "listening". Why? Because it`s obvious you`re listening,monitoring,whatever.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 07:36:07 PM »

Really when you think about it, what is the big deal. Only hams use it and everyone who is a ham knows it. If it has an s, do you really think that is the first thought of most hams that some hams feel it is wrong? There are probably some hams who feel the reverse is just as wrong.

People who have that much time to get mad if there is an s or not really need to find something better to do. Slang can be what ever someone wants it to be. I am from the north, so y'all is not in my vocabulary. But do I berate the people who do use it? Of course not. Just as those of the British persuasion use the word mate. And sometimes matey! Big deal.

Life is way to short to get wound up over an s. I sure am not going to berate someone if they use the s or not. Why do others feel the need?

73SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssss Sheesh!

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
KG9SF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »

Wow........

W9FIB says (para 2) that I get mad (sic) if someone adds an s, then later says I get "wound up" about it, and finally (and laughingly) signs his post with 73 followed by 675 esses.

Atta boy.  Ya shore showed me.

K5MF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »

Wow........

W9FIB says (para 2) that I get mad (sic) if someone adds an s, then later says I get "wound up" about it, and finally (and laughingly) signs his post with 73 followed by 675 esses.

Atta boy.  Ya shore showed me.

That's "ya'll" showed me...aye! Smiley

Its OK, I'll take a 73 or 73s.  73 is easier to send on CW, but come to think of it, almost everybody sends 73 73 when ending a CW QSO.  Maybe that's where 73's came from.

Hmmm, Now I am beginning to wonder.

Don't let it get to you. Some people just lie here in waiting to jump down someone's throat at every opportunity. Don't worry about it.

Tom/AE5QB
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:58:56 PM by AE5QB » Logged
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »

Well, ya' learn something new every day!  All this time I thought hams were saying "seven trees".  I thought I was listening to a bunch of "tree huggers"  Well, now I know better.  73z ya'all.   (did I get it right, huh?  huh?)
Tom
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »

Wow........

Atta boy.  Ya shore showed me.

YUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

But you do need to learn how to count!

73sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss s

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »

Is this up for debate AGAIN? Who really gives a R.A.?
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »

It doesn`t bother me. What I am tired of hearing is,"KC2XXX for ID". When you say your callsign that`s a legal id. When I id on a repeater all I say is,"NO2A". No need to say "listening". Why? Because it`s obvious you`re listening,monitoring,whatever.

While I agree on the 4ID thing actually there is a need to say listening out of courtesy.

If you just give a call sign maybe your testing something, Maybe you just want to see if you can hit a repeater, maybe you kerchunked by accident and feel compelled to ID. "Listening" is sort of implying you anticipate a response. Almost like a CQ.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »

Bests regardses!

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »

Oh, not again.

So Hiram Percy Maxim was not "historically" correct? http://hamgallery.com/qsl/country/USA/Connecticut/1aw.htm
See bottom right of his QSL card.

wow!  not only did he pluralize something that is already plural, he also doubled the "best". 
"Best 73's" technically reads "Best best regards'es"  Cheesy

but while i agreed 73's is a problem when i started reading the thread, the responses have squelched my concerns about it.  then I looked at an old QSL of my uncle (9CCA) from 1927 and (like the 1AW card above) the card has printed on it "ARRL" and "73's" which are not hand-written so i guess it has been that way a long time...
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »

This is an example of having a technical, analytical mind being a somewhat bad thing. Analyzing "73s" is probably the largest non-issue in amateur radio. When you start yet another thread complaining about the usage of 73 it appears that the biggest fish you have to fry is a minnow...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: