Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC 7200 or Yaesu FT 450d?  (Read 17690 times)
VE3GNU

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »

Looking for suggestions from current owners or former owners of both rigs----and aware of the Reviews posted.
Which of those two radios has the overall edge over the other?
I am aware of 2 issues that have plagued some Yaesu owners, and that the menu-system of the Icom is more user-friendly.
In terms of the performance-numbers---as per the ARRL chart, the Yaesu appears to have an edge---
CW performance is important to me, as is the audio-quality---for all modes. 
Haven't bought a new factory-built rig since 2006 (Argonaut V)---built-in tuner is not a factor, and I'm inclined to favour products that are well-designed and built.
Thanks in advance----
Ernie
VE3GNU
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »

Two things I don`t like about the `450D. Hum on transmit audio(which can be corrected with software by Yaesu),and the mic gain. Apparently the original `450,had 3 mic gain settings low,medium,high,instead of using a pot. Assuming the "D"version uses this too is kinda silly. Other than that it`s a good rig.
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:28:02 AM »

Download the user manual for each radio.  Since CW is important to you,closely examine the filtering abilities.  I really like Icom's Dual Pass-band and variable IF filtering.  No experience w/ Yaesu, but a read of the manual, indicates no easy tight filter for data, have to use the reg SSB filters.

GL

KA9CCH
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »

Download the user manual for each radio.  Since CW is important to you,closely examine the filtering abilities.  I really like Icom's Dual Pass-band and variable IF filtering.  No experience w/ Yaesu, but a read of the manual, indicates no easy tight filter for data, have to use the reg SSB filters.

GL

KA9CCH

Get the 7200. I have had both. Both radios have good ears but the filtering on the 7200 is considerably better than the 450D

Don KF7DS
SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »

I agree with KF7DS, the IC-7200 is a great radio, i've had a 7200 and now using a 450AT for portable,
i miss my 7200 with it's great filtering both for SSB and for CW (no ringing!), nice audio, 450AT/450D is just not as good.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:25:13 AM by SM6XUN » Logged
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:35 PM »

Truth by told---I have been considering the 7200 for some time, but after consulting YouTube and finding considerable more videos on the Yaesu compared to the 7200 (with both being of similar vintage)---I thought it best to 'reconsider'.
Gentlemen, I appreciate your input, and Don, your experience with both is indeed valuable----exactly what I'm looking for, and any one else is welcome to 'weigh in'.
Thanks everyone.
Ernie
VE3GNU
SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »

oh, i forgot, 7200 has a real VFO-knob,
FT-450 have a really small knob, it's a pain to spin through 20m with FT-450  Undecided
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »

I have a FT450 and a IC-7200. I like the IC-7200 better overall. I have had several issues with the FT450, IC-7200 has been issue free. At currect price of $889 for IC-7200 = Go for it. 73 K1WJ David
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »

I don't own either, but my choice would be the Icom IC 7200. One ham says the DSP is better than the 450.  It is very highly rated, it has a 4.8/5 rating out of 175 reviews . It also has a USB jack and great filtering.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6933

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »

I am going to break with the consensus and recommend that you take a look at the FT450D.  The D model has a narrower CW filter (300hz) than the original model, and you can use the narrow CW filters on the digital modes.  Getting on the digital modes is easy due to the digital VOX circuit, which works with the ACC jack in the back.  You only need one cable to go between that jack and the soundcard to run the digital modes.

Also, it is a better rig for CW. The 7200 has a built in keyer, but it is not a memory keyer. How Icom could leave that feature off of a 21 century rig is beyond me.  WAKE UP ICOM!  WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY FOR AN INTERNAL MEMORY KEYER!!!  The contour feature on the FT450 works nicely on CW, sort of like a audio peak filter.

The FT450 also has a built in SSB voice keyer, which is not even an option on the 7200.  The FT450D is also nice to take mobile, as you can control several of the rigs features with the mic buttons.  So, you can push a button and have the rig call CQ for you on CW or phone.  Push another button and the built in voice synthesizer will tell you what frequency you are on, etc.

Overall, the FT450 just seems like more rig for the price.

73 John AF5CC
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:14:36 AM »

I have owned 4 IC-7200s' over the years. I keep trying something else, it's a sickness, and then go right back to the 7200. I like cw best of all. The filters are great and can be tailored to just what you desire. Also, I really like the ability to set the tuning step to 1 hz at the touch of a button. I can have the filter set very narrow and tune the signal easily with that setting. The DSP NR and NB are the best in my opinion. Both notch filters are tailorable and work great. As far as a memory keyer goes, what serious cw op doesn't use an external keyer anyway ? A built in tuner is ok , but most these days are very limited in range anyway. It's just one more part to go wrong in my opinion. I feel as though the 7200 is much more rugged in build than the 450D. The track record of the 7200 speaks for itself as well. For me, it's a clear choice. Like anything else in life, it's personal likes and dislikes. But, I do think you would be very happy with the 7200 considering your needs.
   Good luck in your decision and enjoy which ever rig you purchase.  Max
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »

As far as a memory keyer goes, what serious cw op doesn't use an external keyer anyway ?

Me for one. I am a pretty serious CW op, and I like having as few extra boxes and cables in the shack as possible.  Less chance for RF to get into something.  If I spend $900 or so to get a new radio, I shouldn't have to shell out more money for a keyer due to Icom's screwup.

John AF5CC
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 05:34:09 AM »

Point well taken John. I can see what you're getting at. With most smaller rigs I've owned, it seems as though I have to go into the menus' to make adjustments to the keyer . With an outboard keyer , I have instant access to most adjustments. The 7200 does have an inboard keyer, it does not have memories though. I don't need or use them anyway.  So, I apparently put more value on certain conveniences than others. Guess I should not have generalized in my statement.  Lips sealed 

Max, WD8DKB
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 05:39:20 AM »

So Ernie, What did you end up buying and how do you like it ?   Grin

Max, WD8DKB
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »

Nothing bought yet, but the 7200 will be my choice---i.e. based on its splendid Reviews on Eham (no issues), ease-of-use features, filtering capability, great Manual, and build-quality.  As well, our Canadian Dealer (Radioworld) backs their radios with a 2-year Warranty. 
Thanks everyone for your interest and input---much valued and appreciated.
73---Ernie
VE3GNU
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: