The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where have all the Quality skilled Ham Ops Gone?  (Read 28532 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »

As for CW that's never going to make a come back. As the older hams go SK the number of CW operators will dwindle with no new ones to take their place.

My 12 year old son is studying for his license, in between hockey, school, and Minecraft sessions. He loves watching and listening when I work on the radio, and he plays with the CW apps I put on his iPod. ...
As far as CW is concerned, I'm really not worried about it fading away. I got licensed in 2010, but I'm actively learning CW--for fun! Not because it's being forced on me, but because I honestly want to learn it. To me, that's the best reason ever to learn something new.

I wonder if there are frequencies (set by gentleman's agreements) for CW beginners to hone their skills.  Learn by doing.  Kinda like the old novice subbands?   
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »

there is a club for cw ops, for beginners, I forget the name, its like cwhelp or something and they always use >050 from the bottom of the bands , I remember now its called FISTS and look them up, no charge to join and lots of help. check it out
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »

All this yearning for "the good old days" coupled with the bad mouthing of those of us that are newcomers to the hobby is really beginning to get tiring.  Ham radio is ever evolving and older hams better adapt or they are going to be left behind.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »

I wonder if there are frequencies (set by gentleman's agreements) for CW beginners to hone their skills.  Learn by doing.  Kinda like the old novice subbands?   

We used the 10 meter band (after the band would shut down at night) to practice Morse code back in the early 1990's. We were all local so we could hear each other.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »

...it's almost impossible to get young people interested in Ham Radio and that's mainly because it's a very old technology that has been surpassed by the Internet and all the communication abilities it provides.

Almost as old as automobile racing!!  The two technologies almost grew up together, yet automobile racing has broad interest over almost all age demographics.  Automobile technology has also progressed right along with electronics.  The Tesla electric vehicle could easily be called the "smart phone" of automobiles.
So...what is the difference?  Why is one activity growing and the other stagnating?  I'll give my opinion in five words and let the reader sort out the rest.  The attitudes of the participants.  Auto enthusiasts are welcoming and embracing of their newcomers.  Are hams???
Tom
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »

Using the ability to read and transmit Morse code for understanding electronics is a fairly narrow benchmark. While I see the value in learning CW, there are plenty of other projects on the calendar that are much higher priority for me. Amongst them: setting up a low power D-star repeater, finishing up the PC interface for my Az/El antenna rotator (using an Arduino board), trying out surface mount soldering and assembly, and getting JT-65 working on my Macbook. None of these projects were even possible 150 years ago when CW was first implemented.

As for getting kids interested in radio, I managed to impress my nephews by using the pass prediction software on my phone to show them a visual pass of the International Space Station. What's that got to do with ham radio? Not much, but it created the opportunity for me to tell them about how I was able to "talk" to an astronaut (talk in quotes because all we did was exchange signal report) on Field Day.
K5NOK

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

I have talked to plenty of them
Let's change the scope of the question.
How about this?

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the flowers gone?
Young girls have picked them everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone, long time passing?
Where have all the young girls gone, long time ago?
Where have all the young girls gone?
Gone for husbands everyone.

Where have all the husbands gone, long time passing?
Where have all the husbands gone, long time ago?
Where have all the husbands gone?
Gone for soldiers everyone

Where have all the soldiers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the soldiers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the soldiers gone?
Gone to graveyards, everyone.

Where have all the graveyards gone, long time passing?
Where have all the graveyards gone, long time ago?
Where have all the graveyards gone?
Gone to flowers, everyone.

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the flowers gone?
Young girls have picked them everyone.

Brian
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 01:25:34 PM »

peter paul and marry, also kingston trio and trini lopez if memory serves, late 1960's a reflection on viet nam
K5NOK

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »

Pete Seeger wrote it and made famous by Peter Paul and Mary.

His goofy title reminded me of the song.
If you turn on a HF radio and enjoy communicating with people, however you do it, then there are still good ops out there.
When will they ever learn?
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »

If you like CW it's OK with me. I learned 13 WPM to get a license and never made a CW contact. I would just as soon learn to send smoke signals or maybe beat on drums.
K4WGE

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 12:25:16 PM »

Every thread like this is really asking, "Why can't all hams be as good as I am?"

There should be a separate sub-forum for them.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 05:19:10 PM »

Or maybe, I'm such a condescending know it all that nobody will talk to me on the air. Should be included in the sub forum.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: