Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 425DX 4 MB Ram Gateway 2000 Nomad laptop Questions  (Read 6892 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »

425DX 4 MB Ram Gateway 2000 Nomad Laptop Questions

It turns on and fires up to Bios. It was supposed to have Windows 3.1 on it, the hard drive (it has a 120 MB hard drive) needs replacing. Not sure if the floppy is only a 720 or a more standard 1.44.

It does not have a CD Rom.

Can I run free dos on this? (Install on individual floppies?)

Should I run ms-dos instead or Win 3.1?

Can I use any standard laptop hard drive from that era? (I'm thinking the bios might have limitations that would reject a hard drive with 10 GB)  

Thanks in advance

Still using Windows XP Pro.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:46:38 AM »

yes - you can do all of that. ..
- use both dos & win_311 - if you have them available to use.

do run from a hdd, if available, rather than from floppies.
 - there is still some fun to be had, in using that old stuff,
& some of those old programs that ran on either platform,
are still quite useful.

- the bios may not accept a hdd of larger than 6.4Gb in size,
& it may even have a limit of 512Mb in size.

dos / fat16 will limit you to 2gb partition.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:51:24 AM by VK6IS » Logged
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:03:42 AM »

VK6IS
512MB rings a bell with me.
I used to like "tampering " with the DOS trying to maximize the "conventional memory "
Here's a useful link http://www.mdgx.com/

If you fancy a bit of Retro programming, see if you can find "gwbasic "

73 details Tony

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »

I have look around to see if I have MS-DOS. I understand MS-DOS is supposed to be within the Windows 98 OS. I have several Win 98 discs, I might have a Win 95 somewhere.

So the question is, how would I take only the MS-DOS from Windows 98. Is that possible?

How would I get MS-DOS or "Free Dos" onto the replacement Hard Drive without using floppies?

How would I get utilities like PK Unzip onto the OS?

As far as formatting it, it would be 16 bit FAT and not 32 bit FAT correct?

If I decide to keep the laptop and put a new HD and DOS and/or Windows 3.11 on it. I have some DOS only ham radio programs that could run on it. Plus maybe packet too. One of the best things about this laptop is that it runs on 6 volts. The batteries are really just four "D" alkaline batteries soldered together connected to the removable battery case.

Gateway 2000 Nomad 425DX batteries looks like this

The strange looking mouse looks like this

I got the laptop at a hamfest several years ago and it sat in storage until yesterday. It has the power adapter, an extra battery pack, a strange looking "mouse", the original case, original manual and the cord for the internal 9600 modem. For all I know it might be a collector's item.

One other question, does anyone know about the TRS-80 "Pocket Computer" ?

Thanks

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »

Hi there, right on fat16.
PKunzip was available for DOS.
You did say its got a floppy drive but no CD?
The floppy will be 1.44 MB, Win98 has the ability to make a boot floppy with fdisk, format and other bits and bobs.
Fdisk the hard drive,
Format c:/sys
Then get the DOS utilities from the cd from the directory "oldmsdos "
Perhaps with a serial port/usb adapter, you could talk between the two machines?

Hope this gives you some ideas
Details Tony

73 details Tony
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »

Hi there, right on fat16.
PKunzip was available for DOS.
You did say its got a floppy drive but no CD?
The floppy will be 1.44 MB, Win98 has the ability to make a boot floppy with fdisk, format and other bits and bobs.
Fdisk the hard drive,
Format c:/sys
Then get the DOS utilities from the cd from the directory "oldmsdos "
Perhaps with a serial port/usb adapter, you could talk between the two machines?

Hope this gives you some ideas
Details Tony

Thanks Tony the tips

The laptop has no CD, it has a floppy (hope it works). I have a Win 98 boot disc as well as Win 98 discs. This is old school for me as so to speak, but interesting how this was done years ago. The laptop was actually built in 1992 and sold in 1993/94. It is my oldest machine in my collection that 'works'.

Not sure if a serial cable would work. But my thinking is that I can format the (replacement) laptop drive (if the floppy works) and FDISK for FAT 16.

Then I can buy a IDE to USB transfer cable. And transfer the files off a Windows 98 disc from another computer and put the files on the laptop hard drive. And install DOS that way. Good idea?

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »

That may work, cannot hurt to try

Regards Tony

(I changed the signoff. I hate autocorrect

73 details Tony
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:01:09 AM »

You will have a VERY hard time finding a HD. I suggest just running it from boot able floppy disk with apps on it. It really is not worth any investment otherwise.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »

Just a followup:

I went into the bios and changed the date from 1989 to today's date mainly to see what the laptop would do. I rebooted it, came up with the cmos message again but booted right to DOS at the prompt! I typed in "win" at the prompt and sure enough the laptop booted up into Windows 3.1   

The strange looking travel mouse worked after hitting the square button and it was awkward to use. But then swapped out a regular mouse and that worked fine.

I have to peruse the computer forums on how to image this drive to a more "modern" 6GB hard drive. I'm fairly certain that this drive isn't going to last much longer with it being 22 years.

I'm sure I could run the Baypac modem on this as the program runs on DOS.
 http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/978

Thanks to Tony and others for advice and tips.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 01:41:24 PM »

Pleased you're rocking.
Who needs the TARDIS when you have a 25 MHz 486

73 details Tony
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »

Then I can buy a IDE to USB transfer cable. And transfer the files off a Windows 98 disc from another computer and put the files on the laptop hard drive. And install DOS that way. Good idea?

Maybe use an IDE to USB cable with a thumb drive as a substitute for a small hard drive?  Assumes (along with surely other things) that the cable can fool the motherboard that the thumbdrive is a HD...  So you won't need a driver that likely does not exist for Win 3.11....
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »

Maybe use an IDE to USB cable with a thumb drive as a substitute for a small hard drive?  Assumes (along with surely other things) that the cable can fool the motherboard that the thumbdrive is a HD...  So you won't need a driver that likely does not exist for Win 3.11....

no usb on that door stop

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 03:02:05 AM »

Not using a non existant USB port, he's using an ide socket. The only problem might be finding a small enough one.
As for doorstop, this is dos. Not Windows 8, not like he's going to use it for internet or office suite.

73 details Tony
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 05:05:47 AM »

Not using a non existant USB port, he's using an ide socket. The only problem might be finding a small enough one.
As for doorstop, this is dos. Not Windows 8, not like he's going to use it for internet or office suite.

I know its a DOS machine at best. I have a stack of Dell Pentium 75 and 90 MHz laptops that was given 8+ years ago. I was going to do something with them and never did. They would make nice DOS laptops.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »

I know its a DOS machine at best. I have a stack of Dell Pentium 75 and 90 MHz laptops that was given 8+ years ago. I was going to do something with them and never did. They would make nice DOS laptops.

Do they work?
Do they have hard drives or at least the hard drive caddies?
Power Supply (Supplies)?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: