Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interference to neighbors surrond sound  (Read 3419 times)
ND9B

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:04 AM »

I was posting about ferrite beads previously, but now I think the problem is more complicated. My neighbor says my signal is disturbing them at night WITH THE TV TURNED OFF. Are there wireless surround speakers that are powered on all the time, even when the TV is turned off? I'm not getting very much cooperation from them to resolve the problem.

Bob D.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:57:23 AM »

Legally you don't have to solve the problem and you can continue to transmit. But in the interests of neighborly relations it is nice to help solve such a problem. It could help to let the neighbor know this.

The simple (partial) solution is for the neighbor to shut his powered speakers OFF when not in use.

These links might help the neighbor understand.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/interference-defining-source

http://www.arrl.org/regulatory-rfi-information

From the ARRL website link.

"Interference caused by insufficiencies in consumer equipment

In some cases, however, RFI is caused by the fact that most consumer equipment
   lacks the necessary filtering and sheildng to allow it to work well near a radio transmitter.
   The FCC does not regulate the immunity of equipment, however, so when interference is
   caused by consumer-equipment fundamental overload, there is no FCC rules violation,
   and licensed stations have no regulatory responsibility to correct interference that may
   result. (Hams may want to help find a solution to be neighborly, but this is not a requirement in the rules.)"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:05:55 AM by WX7G » Logged
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:41:52 AM »

Saying words like "your system is suffering from breakthrough" rather than "I am interfering with your system" can help, so I have read.
Andrew
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »

Depending on transmit frequency, speaker wiring length, system configuration it is possible to interfere with speakers that are not powered on. Think large crystal radio.

KF7CG
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »

diode rectification at the output transistors, high efficiency speakers... it's a stretch, but it may be.

wireless stuff usually draws a phantom power all the time, and turns on when signal is present, like my subwoofer.  so you want to can the antenna effect on those things with lots of filtering.

both powerline and over-air, and both are going to be a problem.

I would provide the homeowner printed copies of the linked info above, and refer them to the manufacturer for correction of their slipshod cheap-ass market-driven design.
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »

Diode rectification at the output transistors.....Not a stretch! That is exactly what happened to me many years ago. My neighbor complained of hearing me in his speakers with the stereo OFF. Some small capacitors across the speaker leads at the amp solved that problem, as I recall.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: