The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yaesu Rig Announced  (Read 17956 times)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 07:52:15 AM »

Reasonably priced displays (to the manufacturer) appear to be one of the reasons for the change in transceiver appearances. Custom manufactured displays can be more expensive than software defined display panels. With profit margins being what the Amateur community will tolerate, using parts that have a second use is almost required.

On transceiver parts, if the manufacturer can't get them they can't sell them. This has been a problem all the way back to the days of all tube units.

KF7CG
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »

I tune the frequency knob with my left hand and run the telegraph key with the other. My left arm would obscure the screen.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »

Looking at the pictures of this rig again in more detail, I think I see what I personally don't like about the rigs styling.

The knobs are all the same, old style bling types, and they are all the same size.
As well there is one of those knobs stuck like a wart on the lower centre of the rig - like an afterthought.
A right handed person using that knob, which is ominously labelled "Multi" will have a good chance of moving the main dial accidentally.

I used to have a TS430 , nice rig from 1980, and this just looks like a shrunken version, complete with the case type.

On a small rig, with multiple menus, and ham fisted humans as its operators, it is essential to get the ergonomics right.
To my mind, this is the main problem I have with this rig, those one size fits all knobs with bling (and the wart centre stage).

There are some good ideas, and the electronic innards are great, I am sure, but people do make instant evaluations based on first impressions.
If it is a good first impression, you are over the first sales hurdle.
If it is adverse, you are already one strike down.

It is only my opinion of course, but I feel the FT897 (for all its faults) is a beautiful rig for its genre, while this is not.
The FT450 was also (in my opinion) not a beautiful rig ( what is with that shrunken tuning knob).

As a dedicated Yaesu user, this concerns me, as it tends to indicate a certain lack of appreciation of the aesthetic power to sales.
The best analogue I can come up with (and this is not a criticism of chinese design) is that it almost seems to be a generation 1 chinese all band rig.
Something which is put together as a test of the waters.
The excellence in Japanese design to which I for one have become accustomed, just does not seem to be there (at least for me).

Redesign the aesthetics, and I would go and buy one tomorrow - until then I will stay with my old but lovely FT897.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:01:21 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: