Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Topic Question  (Read 4725 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »

I have Suddenlink for cable, internet and phone.  For a long time I have had problems such as pixilation, video and audio dropping out and have had many techs come out over a nearly 3 year span with no solution.

A few months ago, I installed a Tar Heel Model 100 screwdriver antenna outside my apartment, which I have not used recently.  Suddenlink is blaming me for the problems, even though it was happening long before I put up the antenna.

Question, what are the rules about interference to and from cable modems, receivers etc? I have pointed out that their system is interfering on 2m, but they refused to do anything, saying their equipment shows a clean system.

Are the 3 cable  boxes (cable modem, wifi, cable receiver) part 15?

Randy ka4nma
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:05:56 PM by KA4NMA » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »

Legally you don't have to solve the problem and you can continue to transmit.

These links have more on this.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/interference-defining-source

http://www.arrl.org/regulatory-rfi-information

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »

the part 15 rules are basically... Stuff can't radiate, and other Stuff has to put up with it if it does.

that's the device label.

there are classes of device with different rules, which basically depended on how big and how loud an industry's legal team is.  appliances, for instance, are basically exempt.

the way I approach interference as a customer and a ham is... I get rid of noisy junk, and make sure everybody I know is warned off that brand.  and I get on the air when I want because my equipment is not overdriven to splatter and it meets specs.

sounds like you are at the "get rid of noisy junk" stage here.  you have crummy service from Suddenlink, and if there was a customer-accessible line quality monitor, you would see ugly in it.  (DSL modems generally respond to browsing the IP address 192.168.0.1, and if you go to the WAN section in the menu, you can see error counts.  don't change any settings, you may take yourself out of the web.)  if they can't fix it, find another service.  and tell your friends.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »

I do not see any section for error counts. I have an ARRIS router.

Randy ka4nma
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:02:19 PM by KA4NMA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: