Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shielding Cables  (Read 647 times)
KC1CJN

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »

An autotuner vendor told me that the control cable for the unit, a 16ft min-Din8 cable running from ATU to tranceiver, is sensitive to interference and should be kept distant from other cables. That is difficult to do.

Is there external shielding I can add to the cable? Foil tape wrap and electrical tape overwrap? Some off-the-shelf shielding wrap/tube?
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »

Shielding removed from RG-58 or RG-8X might slide over the cable. But before doing so you might install the cable and see if their is a problem. 
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:08:07 PM »

IF the trouble is due to common mode pickup, approximately 10 turns of cable through an appropriate ferrite core often will result in a reduction of RFI of 10 or perhaps many more db of RF pickup.  If the pickup is due to differential mode RF into a poorly shielded cable other measures will be more appropriate, including possibly a second shield.  Try the cable first....perhaps there is not a problem at all.  If you need to try a second shield possibly grounding it at only one end will be better than at both ends, you never know until you try various configurations.  Do you really need a long cable....possibly a shorter cable would be less likely to pick up stray RF.
       Rick  KL7CW   Palmer,  Alaska
KC1CJN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »

Due to routing restrictions, I have the RG8x cable running parallel to the controller cable. So I'm wondering if there is some "cross-talk" that might be limited by some extra shielding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: