The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leave Windows for Linux?  (Read 37631 times)
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »

I use Puppy Linux anytime I connect to a strange (read not my home) network. I also use Puppy on my sound system computer at church to manage and play audio files, as well as to upload them to the net and burn service CD's.

I can also use it as a ham radio system to do what I do, which is normally FLDigi modes. If someone would do a good software to compete with RMS Express, it would be nice. But, it's going to take cooperation between a writer and the WINLINK folks.

I also run Windoze XP as my main computer. If I could get a high speed service here other than US Cellular, I would have Puppy as my main computer, and have one XP machine for ham radio and church projection stuff.

One thing killing the new versions of Windoze is that the Mickeysoft people won't release enough info to software developers so that they can make their software work properly. Example, EasyWorship. Put it on 7 or 8, and you loose the ability to play DVDs through the system. Windoze is the problem, and they refuse to help the EW folks fix it.

That said, there are other alternative softwares that will do worship projection in Linux, just not as well as in EW in Win XP.

There are a lot of good Linux variants that are relatively easy to use in the desktop environment. I have Puppy on my wife's machine and she can do everything she needs to do, and migrated from Win XP to Puppy in one week.

You can even buy refurbed desk and laptops from ShopGoodwill.com with Linux pre-installed.

Windozes and Mickeysoft are going to die a hard death, because business is getting tired of the constant updates, goof ups, and security threats associated with them. Even Amazon runs Linux as their main management system. (I have a friend who is an IT guy for them at a fulfillment center.)

My recommendation, get some LiveCDs and play with Linux. You might find you like it. In my opinion, if you are using it to do email, web, maybe a document, etc. they will do all you need.

Oh, FYI, in all the time I have run Puppy, I have NEVER had an anti-virus on the system, and have never had a breach.
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »

>maintains 90%+ desktop use.

Only if you count business.

The home market is much different. 
a) Half of ALL laptops sold are Apple
b) People never consider that If you don't count businesses which will never change at this point being the dinosaurs they are, the apple marketshare of the desktop market is closer to 30+%.  Apple has 10% TOTAL marketshare, but since the businessmarket is like 99%, that accounts for a much larger percentage of the home user market.

And if you look at WEBstats of the breakdown for who visits websites, Windows is barely 50%.

So if you are a developer targeting home users, you will be very mistaken to just assume 90% of PC's are Windows.

KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »

b) People never consider that If you don't count businesses which will never change at this point being the dinosaurs they are, the apple marketshare of the desktop market is closer to 30+%.  Apple has 10% TOTAL marketshare, but since the businessmarket is like 99%, that accounts for a much larger percentage of the home user market.

And if you look at WEBstats of the breakdown for who visits websites, Windows is barely 50%.

So if you are a developer targeting home users, you will be very mistaken to just assume 90% of PC's are Windows.

Where are you getting your statistics from?
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »

Desktop share (business, home, whatever)

http://marketshare.hitslink.com
Windows - 91.58%
OS X - 6.74%

http://www.netmarketshare.com
Windows - 91.49%
OS X 10.9 4.29%

BTW, these are not true -market share- numbers. Market share is technically a percentage of units sold in a market. These are percentages of page hits by reported operating system. This is another example of vocabulary bastardization that has become a defacto standard.

Rick KK4GGL
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »

Even if Windows were 99.999999999999999999999314159%, I still wouldn't even consider --not for a picosecond-- giving up Linux. :-)

KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »

Even if Windows wasn't I still wouldn't even consider...even with a gun to my head, switching to Linux. Buggy (read any Linux forum) OSes don't fascinate me.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »

You miss the point. Linux is still the least used OS on desktop and laptop and for a reason too. It lacks support and a common GUI.

True or not, somebody misses the point that a lot of Linux users just don't care, and love the fact that they have a choice of GUIs!.

If this was even remotely true there would be far wider usage than less than 2%. You are in denial. Maybe it works for you and you like to play with it and that is fine but to suggest that it is a serious replacement for Windows is a pipe dream. I do not look for Linux to ever reach critical mass on desktop/laptop.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »

You miss the point. Linux is still the least used OS on desktop and laptop and for a reason too. It lacks support and a common GUI.

True or not, somebody misses the point that a lot of Linux users just don't care, and love the fact that they have a choice of GUIs!.

If this was even remotely true there would be far wider usage than less than 2%. You are in denial. Maybe it works for you and you like to play with it and that is fine but to suggest that it is a serious replacement for Windows is a pipe dream. I do not look for Linux to ever reach critical mass on desktop/laptop.

You are right in one respect. Expecting GNU/Linux to reach critical mass on the desktop is a pipe dream.

However, GNU/Linux distros ARE serious replacements for desktops. This has been proved over and over as various individuals, companies and government agencies convert to GNU/Linux.

As far as -Linux- (the kernel) is concerned it is widely used in devices world wide, even though it has been criticized for not having "consistent interfaces". Why is this? It has not had to contend with the network effects of an illegally maintained monopoly.

Rick KK4GGL
AJ1Z

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »

As far as -Linux- (the kernel) is concerned it is widely used in devices world wide, even though it has been criticized for not having "consistent interfaces". Why is this? It has not had to contend with the network effects of an illegally maintained monopoly.

It's because anyone who could/would comply with the terms of the GPL could legally acquire the source code of a working Linux kernel either for free or just the legitimate cost of the media it came on, and then modify it to fit their needs.

This isn't exactly a new concept either. 30+ years ago companies like Sun Microsystems and Digital Equipment Corp. would pay $50K - relative chump change compared to what most alternatives would cost in both time and money - to AT&T for System V usage rights then get the BSD 4.2 source tree from UC Berkeley for the cost of the media, and then develop their own Unix implementations like SunOS and Ultrix.    For short money you could get legal access to the complete source code of software known to work, and you can do that nowadays with the Linux kernel.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2014, 06:18:17 AM »

It's because anyone who could/would comply with the terms of the GPL could legally acquire the source code of a working Linux kernel either for free or just the legitimate cost of the media it came on, and then modify it to fit their needs.

This isn't exactly a new concept either. 30+ years ago companies like Sun Microsystems and Digital Equipment Corp. would pay $50K - relative chump change compared to what most alternatives would cost in both time and money - to AT&T for System V usage rights then get the BSD 4.2 source tree from UC Berkeley for the cost of the media, and then develop their own Unix implementations like SunOS and Ultrix.    For short money you could get legal access to the complete source code of software known to work, and you can do that nowadays with the Linux kernel.

And, again, it didn't have to contend with the network effects of an illegally maintained monopoly. Microsoft controls the market only where it has monopoly power... desktops and laptops.

Rick KK4GGL
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »

And, again, it didn't have to contend with the network effects of an illegally maintained monopoly. Microsoft controls the market only where it has monopoly power... desktops and laptops.

just try and obtain a desktop or a laptop, - that was not designed originally - for the Monopoly.
- & yes - you can - but it ain't that easy.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »

In keeping with the subject matter of "Leave windows for Linux" we get this interesting story from Slashdot.

"City of Turin To Switch From Windows To Linux and Save 6M Euros"

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/09/12/229243/city-of-turin-to-switch-from-windows-to-linux-and-save-6m-euros

..."The municipality of Turin in Italy hopes to save 6 million Euro over five years by switching from Windows XP to Ubuntu Linux in all of its offices. The move will mean installing the open source operating system on 8,300 PCs, which will generate an immediate saving of roughly €300 per machine (almost €2.5m altogether, made up from the cost of Windows and Office licences) — a sum that will grow over the years as the need for the renewal of proprietary software licences vanishes, and the employees get used to the new machines."

Notice that they are switching from Windows XP to Ubuntu Linux which means that they are saving money not just because they don't have to pay for new licenses. But rather also saving a substantial amount by not having to buy new machines just to run new Windows software. Most current Windows XP machines will run newer versions of Linux just fine.

And Turin is not an anomaly. This concept is not new, Turin is not the only city to have switched from Windows to Linux. The migration to Linux has been going on for over 10 years in various towns, cities, districts, states, governments, countries and even federal agencies all around the world.

http://www.comparebusinessproducts.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect

While the above list is  from 2010. It is a good bet that in four years since that list was published. The incidences of migrations and adoptions to Linux has gone up substantially. 

In case people think I am some Linux fanatic, let me repeat what I have said in earlier posts.

I could care less what operating system people decide to use. Just as I could care less what brand of HF rig someone is using. If you are happy with it and it works, that is all that matters. And for full disclosure, I don't owe Microsoft, Linux, Apple or Android any loyalty.

However I do care that some might be misled into believing that they must buy a new computer because some software company stopped supporting a popular operating system. No one has to piss good money away on a new computer and no one has to toss out a otherwise perfectly running computer either.

And for those who want new laptop or desktop computers without any operating system. The following story might be of interest...

"Windows Tax Shot Down In Italy"

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/09/12/1450236/windows-tax-shot-down-in-italy

"Italy's High Court has struck a blow to the practice of forcing non-free software on buyers of PCs and laptops. According to La Repubblica, the court ruled on Thursday that a laptop buyer was entitled to receive a refund for the price of the Microsoft Windows license on his computer. The judges sharply criticised the practice of selling PCs only together with a non-free operating system as "a commercial policy of forced distribution". The court slammed this practice as "monopolistic in tendency." It also highlighted that the practice of bundling means that end users are forced into using additional non-free applications due to compatibility and interoperability issues, whether they wanted these programs or not. "This decision is both welcome and long overdue", said Karsten Gerloff, President of the Free Software Foundation Europe. "No vendor should be allowed to cram non-free software down the throats of users."

The times they are a-changing....indeed....

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »

I guess I am in the 0.0001%, but I have used Unix/Linux as my primary desktop OS for the last 20 years for my Real Job. Everything has been quite consistent during that time: X-windows, terminals, basic commands, emacs/vi, etc haven't changed much. I have used the same word processing/publishing system (latex) during the whole period. How many Windows users can directly open files (and more importantly use bibliographic data files) from things they wrote 20 years ago? That is the advantage of open standards. I do keep a (dual boot) Windows system at work because so far no Linux program can handle Word files correctly (openoffice/libreoffice compatibility doesn't cut it with included graphics, track changes, etc required for serious use).

Both Windows and Linux have bugs- most recently I found out on Windows (both XP and 7) that if you are connected via wifi and then plug in a network cable that Windows continues to only use the slower wifi connection. That is just plain dumb. Yes, there is a way to fix that, but the average user probably wouldn't figure it out without help. With Windows XP there was no way to use multiple cores if you switched from a single-core CPU to a multi-core CPU without reinstalling. Certainly Linux has had plenty of equally annoying bugs- I use it for video recording at home, and finding correctly supported video hardware was really hard.

Tor
N4OGW
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: