Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Vista and Digipan  (Read 1213 times)
K9PWK

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »

I'm in the process of buying a new desktop and need to know whether Digipan works with Vista.  The research I've done shows conflicting opinions.  Any advice?
WB2YZX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 04:58:56 AM »

I use Digipan and several other ham programs with Vista. But - I found Vista to be painfully slow until I added more RAM. At least 2GB should do it, worth the investment.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »

Are you running Vista 32bit or 64bit? Just curious, since I bought a new laptop and expected to see a lot of issues with old software, but I've had none. I'm running Vista Home Premium, which is a 32 bit version. Maybe all the "nightmares" we hear about are on the 64 bit version.
WB2YZX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »

Mine is 32 bit. Yes, there has been a lot controversy about Vista but a lot of new machines come with only 512 meg of RAM which just won't cut it. There is a cool feature whereby you can plug in one of those USB flash drives and use it as RAM. It's not as fast as the installed type but it helps. I actually found it necessary to do some reading about Vista (I hate to read instructions)and Ive done a 180 degree change of heart about it. I work mostly digital modes and SSTV with several dozen programs installed.
K7KEV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:04:45 AM »

I'm running Vista Home Premium with a Tigertronics SignaLink USB interface.  Works fine "out of the box."  Using laptop with AMD Turion 64 and have had no trouble or slow running.  

That said, if you have a choice, get XP.  While DigiPan works fine, some other handy programs just don't work well or at all.  Also, none of the HELP files written for XP and earlier work with Vista (without a program available online at Microsoft that warns of security problems with it.)
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »

I just posted my experience with setting up Digipan on my new Acer laptop. Based on this and some problems with getting Bluetooth a2dp working right (hoping they fix it with service pack 1), I'd have to say hold off if you can. I can't really see any advantage to Vista at this time for anyone who has some experience using PCs for more than the normal web and office applications.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: