Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with running bpsk on Yaesu 857d  (Read 1673 times)
N9SCW

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2008, 05:38:09 AM »

I am needing help with running bpsk on my Yaesu ft-857. I can't get my power output above 10 watts without my alc running real high when I'm in USB mode. If I change the rig to digital mode it still does the same thing as long as I'm in psk-u, psk-l, user-l, and user-u. If I place it in rtty-u or rtty-l I don't have any trouble with the power output but naturally my receive is real low on the waterfall. The only way I can get the power out to increase in the usb mode without a high alc is to turn the power out on the radio to the full 100 watts then I can get about 20-25 out with just a little alc. I hope I didn't confuse you guys to much, but any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

73 de N9SCW
KM5Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:02:14 AM »

> I am needing help with running bpsk on my Yaesu
> ft-857. I can't get my power output above 10 watts
> without my alc running real high when I'm in USB
> mode.

I use the FT-897D - almost same rig as the 857.

Run Digital Mode for PSK31. Set it up Digital as PSK-U.

This is correct, even for 'LSB' bands 30m and below.
The 'LSB', I think is principally for SSB; if you reversed PSK to LSB, the tones would be opposite from what it should be and I doubt anyone could decode it.

> The only way I can get the power out to increase in
> the usb mode without a high alc is to turn the power
> out on the radio to the full 100 watts then I can get
> about 20-25 out with just a little alc. I hope I
> didn't confuse you guys to much, but any and all help
> would be greatly appreciated.

20 to 25 is a bit low. You really will never (shouldn't!) get 100w, but do setup the rig for the full 100W Power setting. You'll be setting your 'actual' power output using the AUDIO VOLUME from your PC. Set your PC/Mac AUDIO so that you're getting just around 50w max. At this point you should see no ALC kick in.

I can get as high as 60W, but keep it down until you're pretty sure you're not presenting a bad signal.
Here's a good eHam article relating to this: http://www.eham.net/articles/12626

Once you get a good feel for how your signal is, you can *test* bumping it up a bit, maybe to 60-ish.

I have occasionally had a mis-matched antenna and gotten some bad ALC on PSK31, even at low 'power' settings. Make sure your antenna is a *good* match, your SWR is LOW, and you don't get RF into the shack. On these rigs (FT-857/897), high reflected power will probably cause a dial-back in power (!) to preserve the finals.

Give that a try and good luck. If you'd like to setup a sched, check my email at QRZ.

73 and good luck.

Mike Yancey
KM5Z
Dallas, Texas
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »

Make sure speech compression is off. This keeps the ALC from kicking in as much, and prevents distortion from making your signal 591.

Then run only enough audio input to make the ALC meter budge a fraction of a needle width, if at all.

20 to 25 watts out is about what you should expect, operating BPSK with an SSB sound card mode and a 100W radio.
WB2YZX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 05:08:56 AM »

There is a Digital Gain function - menu item # 37. try adjusting that. I have the 897 which should have the same menu options
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:52:17 AM »

There's no need to run more than 20 to 25 watts on
PSK.

Mike
W5RKL
N2RIU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »

Slightly off-topic: what mode would you set FT-100 - the older cousin of 857d, that does not have PSK-U setting built-in?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: