Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-940SAT CAT cable  (Read 6533 times)
W8WAW

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:19:28 PM »

I have a Kenwood TS-940 SAT that I would like to run on PSK using HRD CAT control.  It looks like there is not a simple cable as on my FT-1000D.  I may need an IF 10B board too.
Anyone running the 940 on HRD with CAT contols help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
WAWhite III
k3waw
W8WAW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:38:30 AM »

I've decided to use my 1000D and not invest in the extras to run the 940 digital with CAT.
Thanks
Bill
k3waw
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »

Not sure if it's too late to answer but chack out the PIEXX website (www.piexx.com??). They have a drop in replacement for the combo of the IF-10B board and IF-232 level converter required on the outside of the 940. It is around $90 or so.

Kenwood did a piss poor job of designing the serial interface to their older line of rigs. If you can find the IF-10B board, it will be probably by chance. I watched for one over two years and happened to find one on eBAY a while back. I am using a 3rd party cable wit the IF-10B board and it is flawless.

Gene KI6LO
KD0NQM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 01:46:27 PM »

Kenwood TS 940 SAT with IF10B board.  What else is needed to connect to my HP computer?   Do you know of a logging program that will work with set up?

Thanks

JIM
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »

Kenwood did a piss poor job of designing the serial interface to their older line of rigs.

Strange how you do not take into consideration the state of technology when this radio was designed over 26 years ago. 940 was a very fine radio (still is but tuff to get part for these days too) but due to the limitations of its technology I would not use it as a digital rig to use remote control with. I would use something newer.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »

Kenwood TS 940 SAT with IF10B board.  What else is needed to connect to my HP computer?   Do you know of a logging program that will work with set up? Thanks JIM

If the IF10B board has the DB9 cable and connector
coming out of the back of the rig, all you need is a serial
cable, (if your computer has a serial port!) or a
USB->Serial Cable adapter to connect to your computer.

Logging Program?
If you want logging w/CAT control I would chose HRD,
but the list is endless. FLDigi, etc.  There's literally dozens
of free and for-sale CAT/CI-V Logging Programs.

If you have a newer computer running Windows 7,
I would order a USB->Serial Adapter that has the FDML
Chipset and appropriate drivers. When I upgraded from an
XP machine to a Windows 7 machine, none of my THREE
older USB->Serial adapter cables would work with the 64 bit system.

And yes, I did search dilgently (desperately!) for updated
drivers for those older USB-Serial Adapter cables.
But give it a shot, you never know if yours might work....
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:36 AM »

I currently am using a TS940 with the PIEX board, a Microham USB III interface and Logger32. Running RTTY (MTTY), PSK (Fldigi)  and JT65 with no issues. I have to disagree with the other post saying use something else. Even though the 940 is pushing 30 years old, it was and still is one of the best radios ever built. True it lacks the newer DSP technology et al, but for what it does have it still does a great job. Add to it that you can run full power out on RTTY with no issues and it has stood the sands of time pretty well. I'll probably be looking to upgrade the station in the next year to something a little more modern but the 940 will forever hold a place on my operating desk.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »

I have to disagree with the other post saying use something else. Even though the 940 is pushing 30 years old, it was and still is one of the best radios ever built. True it lacks the newer DSP technology et al, but for what it does have it still does a great job. Add to it that you can run full power out on RTTY with no issues and it has stood the sands of time pretty well.

I agree %100 Jim.
The 940 is a GREAT RTTY rig.

Though I have since upgraded to a more modern
"digital" main rig, I keep the 940 as my main backup.
Might even try SO2R one of these days....

I have used the 940S to win:
2000 CQDX RTTY SOAB HP AFRICA (from 5R8)
2001 ARRL RTTY Roundup Single Op HP LAX Section
2002 ARRL 10m (Phone) Single OP HP LAX Section
2003 ARRL 10m (Phone) Single Op HP LAX Section

In every case,the "High Power" was only 800 watts into a
multiband vertical. Not legal limit into stacked monoband yagis,
 or even any yagi.
And yes, I realize that propagation was OUTSTANDING
during those years, especially 2000-2001.

So that IS a significant factor.

If my house was on fire and I only had time to unhook
and grab one rig, it just might be the 940.
...depending on how loud the XYL was screaming!    Grin
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:55:46 PM by AD6KA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »

I currently am using a TS940 with the PIEX board, a Microham USB III interface and Logger32. Running RTTY (MTTY), PSK (Fldigi)  and JT65 with no issues. I have to disagree with the other post saying use something else. Even though the 940 is pushing 30 years old, it was and still is one of the best radios ever built. True it lacks the newer DSP technology et al, but for what it does have it still does a great job. Add to it that you can run full power out on RTTY with no issues and it has stood the sands of time pretty well. I'll probably be looking to upgrade the station in the next year to something a little more modern but the 940 will forever hold a place on my operating desk.

I never said it was not a good radio in its day but it is getting very dated and harder to get parts for each year and it has VERY primitive remote control support because it is a very dated design. Maybe you like using 80's era primitive RC support in 2011. I do not any more than I want to go back to using 286's or 386's and DOS.

Also I have a TS830 gold label I got new and a remote digital VFO and while it still a capable SSB rig and could do digi if pressed to it, it would use a much newer and more computer friendly rig. Even my 90's 570 has vastly superior RC support and menu driven audio input and output levels independent of mic and speaker via data jack on back of rig.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:28:29 PM by W8JX » Logged

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »

I currently am using a TS940 with the PIEX board, a Microham USB III interface and Logger32. Running RTTY (MTTY), PSK (Fldigi)  and JT65 with no issues. I have to disagree with the other post saying use something else. Even though the 940 is pushing 30 years old, it was and still is one of the best radios ever built. True it lacks the newer DSP technology et al, but for what it does have it still does a great job. Add to it that you can run full power out on RTTY with no issues and it has stood the sands of time pretty well. I'll probably be looking to upgrade the station in the next year to something a little more modern but the 940 will forever hold a place on my operating desk.

I never said it was not a good radio in its day but it is getting very dated and harder to get parts for each year and it has VERY primitive remote control support because it is a very dated design. Maybe you like using 80's era primitive RC support in 2011. I do not any more than I want to go back to using 286's or 386's and DOS.

Also I have a TS830 gold label I got new and a remote digital VFO and while it still a capable SSB rig and could do digi if pressed to it, it would use a much newer and more computer friendly rig. Even my 90's 570 has vastly superior RC support and menu driven audio input and output levels independent of mic and speaker via data jack on back of rig.

Well it seems this topic has resurrected itself so I will add another comment. True, my TS940S is an old radio. But it still operates 100% and is my main radio. It hears things my TS2000S/X wishes it could hear and that is on the same antenna so no differences there. Lack of DSP on the 940? Maybe but I haven't really found that much that requires alot of DSP processing that I can handle using the TS940S's filtering layout. Sure it get overloaded once in a while. No radio is perfect. Do I want a new rig? You betcha. I have a requirement that limits my ability to upgrade right now and that is my next rig must have 2 receivers and not be limited to in-band reception on both. Bad thing about this is I am an old Kenwood user and right now, Kenwood has nothing that comes close to what I want. I use and like Yeasu and was considering the FT-2000 but the limitation of in-band dual receive shot down that idea. I have no pressing need to rush out and by something that doesn't do what I want so the FT-2000 isn't a requirement right now. I can't afford the FT-5000 right now so I suppose I will wait until they become 10+ year old rigs and then buy one of them used like I did the trusty 940, which by the way, I use almost exclusively on RTTY and CW and it performs like a champion it is.

Like I mentioned, my old TS-940S is working 100% and when it starts having problems, I'll figure it out and determine if it is worth (or possible) to fix it. A good clean 940 still draws premium prices so they must do something right or hams would not keep buying them over and over again!.

Gene W5DQ (ex-KI6LO)

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »

Well it seems this topic has resurrected itself so I will add another comment. True, my TS940S is an old radio. But it still operates 100% and is my main radio. It hears things my TS2000S/X wishes it could hear and that is on the same antenna so no differences there. Lack of DSP on the 940? Maybe but I haven't really found that much that requires alot of DSP processing that I can handle using the TS940S's filtering layout. Sure it get overloaded once in a while. No radio is perfect. Do I want a new rig? You betcha. I have a requirement that limits my ability to upgrade right now and that is my next rig must have 2 receivers and not be limited to in-band reception on both. Bad thing about this is I am an old Kenwood user and right now, Kenwood has nothing that comes close to what I want. I use and like Yeasu and was considering the FT-2000 but the limitation of in-band dual receive shot down that idea. I have no pressing need to rush out and by something that doesn't do what I want so the FT-2000 isn't a requirement right now. I can't afford the FT-5000 right now so I suppose I will wait until they become 10+ year old rigs and then buy one of them used like I did the trusty 940, which by the way, I use almost exclusively on RTTY and CW and it performs like a champion it is.

Like I mentioned, my old TS-940S is working 100% and when it starts having problems, I'll figure it out and determine if it is worth (or possible) to fix it. A good clean 940 still draws premium prices so they must do something right or hams would not keep buying them over and over again!.

Gene W5DQ (ex-KI6LO)

Look the 940 is a classic SSB rig without a doubt but I would not handicap myself RC wise using it on digital nor would I really want to waste what life it has life doing digi with it. As far as it doing better than a TS2000, that is not hard to do as 2000 is easily beat by lesser radios today. The 2000 is great in concept but limited in actual performance by the primitive IF DSP technology it was based on while 940 was mature analogy filtering. Even today a good analog rig with optional filters can easily beat a 2000. It is a shame Kenwood never updated that concept with modern technology.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »

Well we all use what is at hand to the best of each of our abilities. Some have unlimited resources to buy the latest and greatest over and over. Some of us don't. Being employed in the Dept of Defense, we have had the priviledge of not having a pay raise for 2 years. Seems some in DC think we are filthy rich and inflation has no affect on us and our raises can be spent better elsewhere. If it were only true!

So when my ship comes in I'll retire my venerable TS-940S to a place of honor in the shack as a standby rig. Until then it, it remains in service and so far (knock on wood) it hasn't let me down in any mode.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »

@ Gene, W5DQ

I finally found someone as fond of their 940 as I.  Grin

FYI: If you ever have to travel with it or ship it
somewhere, the Pelican Model 1650 Case fits great.
You will have to take the case and the rig to a
"custom foam house" and replace most of the open cell
foam with stiffer closed cell foam. And have them make a
special piece with holes for the front knobs.
(I used the original packing's Styrofoam "front face"
piece and had it cut dow to fit the Pelican case.)

Made it to East Africa and back no problems.
73, Ken  AD6KA
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »

@ Gene, W5DQ

I finally found someone as fond of their 940 as I.  Grin

FYI: If you ever have to travel with it or ship it
somewhere, the Pelican Model 1650 Case fits great.
You will have to take the case and the rig to a
"custom foam house" and replace most of the open cell
foam with stiffer closed cell foam. And have them make a
special piece with holes for the front knobs.
(I used the original packing's Styrofoam "front face"
piece and had it cut dow to fit the Pelican case.)

Made it to East Africa and back no problems.
73, Ken  AD6KA

Ken,

Fondness is a relative term I think. Yes I do like my TS940S very much. It is a great rig (no it isn't a new state of the art DSP enabled, whatever - just to appease those that think it isn't worth turning on  Undecided ). But in it's day, I believe it was the Cadillac of Amateur Transcievers, rivaling some of the top gear today. But I agree it is well aged and probably deserves a well earned rest. But for now, the soldier will just have to press on to the next battle ... erh, I mean contest. I use mine for many contests and seems to do well.

Someday a new FT-5000 or whatever meets my needs will take it's place but for now, it is center stage on the operating desk. I have a TS2000S that, for now, is the 6M rig and a backup to the 940.

Gene

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: