The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Pay is double charging people.  (Read 12869 times)
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »

I hope your not referring to me since I have several Apple products.  The Information I posted was shown on NBC World News at 6:30pm EST and it did not specify a particular bank.  I really do not understand what your getting upset about, even if it was just BOA that had the double charges via Apple pay it is still valid to warn eham users that they should check their credit card statements. Also the use of the word "Very Limited" is speculative at best since BOA is the largest bank in America and we all know that full disclosure will never be forth coming by Apple or BOA.

73s
Rob

The "pure Apple-hating fluff" was referring to the article, not the poster. I'm not upset, not at all. 

"Very limited" refers to the fact that the double-charges were limited to a very small percentage of Bank of America users, not all BofA users of ApplePay.  True, BofA is the largest bank in America, but when you consider how small of a percentage of BofA users were ApplePay users, and then how small of a percentage (I've read somewhere less than 1%) of the BofA ApplePay users were actually affected, it is a "very limited" number of people, no matter how you slice it.

Already, ApplePay is the #1 NFC payment system in the world...in 1 week. The technology has been there for years, and accessible to users of other phones, but it only takes Apple 1 week to become number one? They must be doing something right.   

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »

Already, ApplePay is the #1 NFC payment system in the world...in 1 week. The technology has been there for years, and accessible to users of other phones, but it only takes Apple 1 week to become number one? They must be doing something right.   

Not at all. Nobody has really promoted it and when honey moon is over and koolaid wears off I suspect it will fade once costs sink in.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 04:18:25 PM »

Not at all. Nobody has really promoted it and when honey moon is over and koolaid wears off I suspect it will fade once costs sink in.

I don't think it's going to fade, Apple owners tend to be flashy and this kind of thing is very attractive to them.
Personally I would never get involved but the vast majority of people probably will.

I heard that even Android is hoping it works, because they have been trying to push this concept and have failed.  I suspect that they figure if Apple can kick start it with the public they can then get in on the action.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »

The "pure Apple-hating fluff" was referring to the article, not the poster. I'm not upset, not at all. 

Ok thanks.

73's
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 05:53:10 AM »

I don't think it's going to fade, Apple owners tend to be flashy and this kind of thing is very attractive to them.
Personally I would never get involved but the vast majority of people probably will.

I heard that even Android is hoping it works, because they have been trying to push this concept and have failed.  I suspect that they figure if Apple can kick start it with the public they can then get in on the action.

I think my daughter summed it up well yesterday. She just broke the screen again on her IPhone 5 and apple care has expired. They want 299 for a new IPhone 6 and another 100 for Apple care that does not cover everything anyway. She looked at phone and said it is really no different from old phone and interface has not really changed in over 4 years too. She is tired on lack of real change and is going to Droid. Likely a Note 4 which is smaller in size than a 6 plus and yet has a bigger display  and a 16 mpix camera VW Apples 8, a 3.7mpix front face vs 1.2 on apple and 3gig of ram vs 1 gig on IPhone. (this is funny as Apple talks 64bit which can address/use more ram but still same amount as old one)  After playing with Droid she said it can do so much more with it than a Apple. This apple pay is not a new concept other than a new way for apple to reach in your pocket because many other phones have supported this technology for some time. I know a guy that used his Droid over a year ago for CC scans. Also Apple is makes a big deal out of now supporting 801.11ac now even though others have for over a year now. Its all about the Koolaid and convincing you that older cheaper technology and old OS design in a new package is state of art. Apple is a master at marketing and reaching into your pocket. Apple knows it is loosing phone wars so now they want your bank accounts to get another hold on you and people drunk on koolaid are doing it and Apple is laughing all the way to bank.

Oh should I also mention that Samsung has been able to shoot new UHD/4K video for over a year now and Apple is still only Just HD.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:15:34 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »

The group called MXC, is working on a competing e-pay system that could do away with dependence on credit/debit cards and their associated charges. It's also plans on collecting transaction data to give to the retailers. The ApplePay system uses credit/debit cards, and keep the transactional data away from the retailers. So it's about data and credit card fees.  Read this if you would like to be actually informed on the subject instead of simply adopting an anti-apple stance.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/

MXC's CurrentC system has already been hacked.

http://www.cultofmac.com/301446/apple-pays-biggest-competitor-already-hacked/

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KM4BYJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »

Here's a very good, detailed explanation of how Apple Pay and Google Wallet work:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/how-mobile-payments-really-work/

The 2 systems use different methods to provide similar functionality.

The article also explains the traditional transaction-processing system and how Google and Apple tie into it.

Al
KM4BYJ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »

I think my daughter summed it up well yesterday. She just broke the screen again on her IPhone 5 and apple care has expired. They want 299 for a new IPhone 6 and another 100 for Apple care that does not cover everything anyway. She looked at phone and said it is really no different from old phone and interface has not really changed in over 4 years too. She is tired on lack of real change and is going to Droid. Likely a Note 4 which is smaller in size than a 6 plus and yet has a bigger display  and a 16 mpix camera VW Apples 8, a 3.7mpix front face vs 1.2 on apple and 3gig of ram vs 1 gig on IPhone. (this is funny as Apple talks 64bit which can address/use more ram but still same amount as old one)  After playing with Droid she said it can do so much more with it than a Apple. This apple pay is not a new concept other than a new way for apple to reach in your pocket because many other phones have supported this technology for some time. I know a guy that used his Droid over a year ago for CC scans. Also Apple is makes a big deal out of now supporting 801.11ac now even though others have for over a year now. Its all about the Koolaid and convincing you that older cheaper technology and old OS design in a new package is state of art. Apple is a master at marketing and reaching into your pocket. Apple knows it is loosing phone wars so now they want your bank accounts to get another hold on you and people drunk on koolaid are doing it and Apple is laughing all the way to bank.

Well I don't know where your daughter is getting her info from, but IOS8 can pretty much do anything that a person would want to do. Also the App selection and music selection makes it a no brainer.  Also SIRI's IQ has just about doubled.  As for the Camera, it really does not matter if it's 8mpx or 16 or 32mpx and that applies for video also.  The Lens sizes are just too small to make any difference.  I have a full size older SLR that is 4mpx and it will beat the pants off of any 8 or 16mpx phone camera.  The mega Pixel game has been played out a long time ago, until they increase the size and depth of the lenses it's all just consumer hype and since that's really not possible on a phone it means that the pictures are not going to change much once you get past about 8mpix not now and not even in the future.  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:37:12 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: