The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTDI serial to USB driver surprize  (Read 23925 times)
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »

Your property is illegal, regardless of whether or not you knew it was illegal.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 03:39:27 AM »

While I am not a attorney I see nothing wrong with way they did it. All devices have a PID number for device ID for proper driver installation. The new new driver changes it to a number that is not valid for FDTI chips. I see nothing wrong with this as it just means that FDTI will no longer support bogus chips. There is nothing to stop bogus chip maker from making their own driver or properly licencing FDTI designs.

FDTI has absolutely NO RIGHT to alter MY cable. Period.

Your wrong, they have the right to protect their property. It is not their fault if you use a fake clone.

You are wrong. They are not protecting their property. They are damaging my property. Protecting their property would be writing their software so it would not run on anything but their chips. They must have realized this since they have changed course with their driver; "This will still uphold our stance against devices that are not genuine, but do so in a non-invasive way that means that there is no risk of end user’s hardware being directly affected."

They should have been non-invasive in the first place.

You buy a hot/stolen car or product it can be taken from you at any time its discovered. Not knowing might save you from prosecution buy not from loosing it. You have not right to use stole property and a illegal clone is stolen property. I hope more vendors do it.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 03:40:58 AM »

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 03:47:07 AM »

You buy a hot/stolen car or product it can be taken from you at any time its discovered.

To be legally "taken back" requires legal action including law enforcement and probably court action.

Not knowing might save you from prosecution buy not from loosing it. You have not right to use stole property and a illegal clone is stolen property.

Not knowing it is a clone would probably cast you as a victim in court, possible able to have charges lodge against whomever sold you the cable.

I hope more vendors do it.

I know you do. Maybe you are the one that should reap what you sow.

Rick KK4GGL
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 04:27:56 AM »

FDTI did not modify your property, you did...  You chose to run the drivers, you loaded them, and you hit the go button to install them.  I can almost guarantee you that someplace in that big User agreement you failed to read, (but somehow agreed to), there is an out for them, allowing just this action. 

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 06:13:52 AM »

FDTI did not modify your property, you did...  You chose to run the drivers, you loaded them, and you hit the go button to install them.  I can almost guarantee you that someplace in that big User agreement you failed to read, (but somehow agreed to), there is an out for them, allowing just this action. 

The out that you are looking for is "may cause harm". That is not the same as we will brick your cable.

Rick KK4GGL
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »

The end result is folks will avoid FTDI/ Proflix  based devices in the future.

If It IS NOT OBVIOUS that a device is based on a counterfeited device, why should anyone trust any supplier in the future?  Were all of the counterfeit products produced by TW or China?

I have USB Maxton Prolific cable that is now fubar'ed..... so what do I do?  Risk buying another USB/serial cable on the blind faith that it is not counterfeit?  I think not.... it may make a manufacturer feel good to screw over a buyer, but that only punishes themselves and the buyers in the end. The counterfeiters have their money... the unsuspecting buyers and software owners are screwed, while the crooks have reaped their rewards. This crap hurts everyone. Don't assume that buyers were culpable when they bought what appeared to be legitimate devices.

KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

If it is illegal, sure they do. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »

Don't assume that buyers were culpable when they bought what appeared to be legitimate devices.

Legally you may not be culpable for using illegal equipment but you have no right to use stole property.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 06:59:13 PM »

The out that you are looking for is "may cause harm". That is not the same as we will brick your cable.
Actually it is the same...  It caused harm.  Don't think I am defending their actions, just looking at the real world is all, they can, and have a right to do exactly as they did...

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 07:02:35 PM »

The end result is folks will avoid FTDI/ Proflix  based devices in the future.

If It IS NOT OBVIOUS that a device is based on a counterfeited device, why should anyone trust any supplier in the future?  Were all of the counterfeit products produced by TW or China?

I have USB Maxton Prolific cable that is now fubar'ed..... so what do I do?  Risk buying another USB/serial cable on the blind faith that it is not counterfeit?  I think not.... it may make a manufacturer feel good to screw over a buyer, but that only punishes themselves and the buyers in the end. The counterfeiters have their money... the unsuspecting buyers and software owners are screwed, while the crooks have reaped their rewards. This crap hurts everyone. Don't assume that buyers were culpable when they bought what appeared to be legitimate devices.

Not "Blind Faith" at all-- you WILL take all possible measures to obtain a "real" cable, unless you want to never contact your device again with your computer...  You really well...  Else you lose your entire device.

Thanks,
Dave
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 07:23:47 AM »

If it is illegal, sure they do. 

No, they don't. They do have the right to file a legal action. They do have the right to have the driver check for authentic chips and then fail to work if counterfeits are revealed. They could even (gasp) help the consumers by having a notification of counterfeit chips. But they do not have the right to brick my cable any more than they have the right to come into my house and take it. And it seems they have learned from their huge mistake.

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 07:25:33 AM »

Don't assume that buyers were culpable when they bought what appeared to be legitimate devices.

Legally you may not be culpable for using illegal equipment but you have no right to use stole property.

FTDI has no right to MY property without legal action.

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »

Actually it is the same...  It caused harm.  Don't think I am defending their actions, just looking at the real world is all, they can, and have a right to do exactly as they did...

Actually it is not the same. One is accidental. The other is purposeful and malicious.

Rick KK4GGL
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »

No, they don't. They do have the right to file a legal action...
We have already established, that FDTI did not change your setup, YOU changed your setup by installing the provided drivers, and agreeing to their terms and conditions by pressing the agree button during install.  FDTI has only responding to the bad PR they got, and made a decision to remove the code that YOU executed which changed your setup.

In my opinion, a good choice on their part to remove the software bomb, but they have been totally within their legal rights to do as they have done...  They could have wiped your HD, and if you agreed to it, (by installing the drivers, and agreeing as you did), it becomes legal...  It is not right, nor is the decent thing to do, but it is legal.  The key here is you agreed to the terms and conditions.

Thanks,
Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: