The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTDI serial to USB driver surprize  (Read 25128 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »

It seems that FTDI is fighting back against its chips being cloned. Their latest driver resets the PID in cloned chips to a value that will not let proper driver install and it also prevents chip from working with old driver or different OS because PID has been changed. Cute trick. The warning is buried in driver info file but you have to dig to find it. Moral is stay away from FTDI serial to USB chips unless you know they are genuine or use old drivers.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »

See thread:
FTDI Reportedly Bricking Devices Using Competitors' Chips.

Rick KK4GGL
W7SMJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:57 PM »

Moral is stay away from FTDI serial to USB chips unless you know they are genuine or use old drivers.

Also stay away from Windows Automatic Updates!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »

Moral is stay away from FTDI serial to USB chips unless you know they are genuine or use old drivers.

Maybe if you use XP (because it has no support for this) but to do so otherwise is a bit foolish. Nothing wrong with drivers, just fake hardware.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »

Maybe if you use XP (because it has no support for this) but to do so otherwise is a bit foolish. Nothing wrong with drivers, just fake hardware.

The problem is the a company writing software that will brick equipment they don't own instead of writing software that won't work counterfeit hardware.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »

The problem is the a company writing software that will brick equipment they don't own instead of writing software that won't work counterfeit hardware.

I see nothing wrong with bricking a unlicensed clone. If they did more of it in the end you could have more reliable hardware driver support.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 12:21:29 PM »

They'd be a lot better off to just raise a pop up each time the driver is loaded, saying that the chip is an unauthorized clone so that the user's becomes aware of it. Bricking the chip creates problems for the user who probably has no idea the device contains the clone and may not have any reasonable way to correct it. It makes "bad press" for FTDI.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »

I see nothing wrong with bricking a unlicensed clone. If they did more of it in the end you could have more reliable hardware driver support.

You see nothing wrong with a company writing software to brick a piece of hardware they do not own? Really? Says something, doesn't it?

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »

You see nothing wrong with a company writing software to brick a piece of hardware they do not own? Really? Says something, doesn't it?

Not at all but it does about you and not me. Not sure why you are defending a illegal clone. It does not brick any device, only cloned chips. What better way to stop inferior cloned chips than kill them when using a OEM driver. FTDI spend time and money on drivers why support clones for free.

W7SMJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »

Not at all but it does about you and not me. Not sure why you are defending a illegal clone. It does not brick any device, only cloned chips. What better way to stop inferior cloned chips than kill them when using a OEM driver. FTDI spend time and money on drivers why support clones for free.

So using your logic you would have no problem with your car being destroyed if you happened to purchase gasoline that was produced from black market sanctioned Iranian oil, correct?
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »

I am not defending an illegally cloned chip. That is your incorrect inference. I don't appreciate the accusation.

FTDI's software did brick a device. A USB-Serial cable is a device. A USB-serial cable that once worked had settings changed by FCTI's software so that it would no longer work. That cable, with the chip inside, is not FTDI's property. This malicious act was performed consciously by FTDI. The action is possibly illegal.

As for not supporting clones, all FTDI had to do was do a check, and then not work with the clone chip. They could have generated system messages saying why the driver stopped working. Apparently, because of the backlash, they have rethought their actions.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »

I am not defending an illegally cloned chip. That is your incorrect inference. I don't appreciate the accusation.

FTDI's software did brick a device. A USB-Serial cable is a device. A USB-serial cable that once worked had settings changed by FCTI's software so that it would no longer work. That cable, with the chip inside, is not FTDI's property. This malicious act was performed consciously by FTDI. The action is possibly illegal.

As for not supporting clones, all FTDI had to do was do a check, and then not work with the clone chip. They could have generated system messages saying why the driver stopped working. Apparently, because of the backlash, they have rethought their actions.

While I am not a attorney I see nothing wrong with way they did it. All devices have a PID number for device ID for proper driver installation. The new new driver changes it to a number that is not valid for FDTI chips. I see nothing wrong with this as it just means that FDTI will no longer support bogus chips. There is nothing to stop bogus chip maker from making their own driver or properly licencing FDTI designs.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »

While I am not a attorney I see nothing wrong with way they did it. All devices have a PID number for device ID for proper driver installation. The new new driver changes it to a number that is not valid for FDTI chips. I see nothing wrong with this as it just means that FDTI will no longer support bogus chips. There is nothing to stop bogus chip maker from making their own driver or properly licencing FDTI designs.

FDTI has absolutely NO RIGHT to alter MY cable. Period.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »

Your wrong, they have the right to protect their property. It is not their fault if you use a fake clone.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »

Your wrong, they have the right to protect their property. It is not their fault if you use a fake clone.

You are wrong. They are not protecting their property. They are damaging my property. Protecting their property would be writing their software so it would not run on anything but their chips. They must have realized this since they have changed course with their driver; "This will still uphold our stance against devices that are not genuine, but do so in a non-invasive way that means that there is no risk of end user’s hardware being directly affected."

They should have been non-invasive in the first place.

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: