The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Volvo moving to 48v system in cars  (Read 27214 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2014, 04:35:25 AM »

Volvo is planing to move to a long overdue upgrade of cars electrical system. While it is likely still 5 or more years away it is coming. 12v simply cannot provide power for futures concepts. Others will likely follow suit.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 07:52:55 AM »

I can see it now:"Hey buddy can you give me a jumpstart?" "Kaboom!"... Cheesy
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:09:16 AM »

Are you sure it's not Audi instead of Volvo? I googled Volvo and 48 volt automotive electrical system and all that comes up is Audi's move to a 48 volt automotive electrical system.

http://www.livelifedrive.com/malaysia/news/view/193566/audi-to-roll-out-48-volt-vehicle-tech-for-more-power

http://www.frenzycars.com/2014/08/25/audi-plans-48-volt-car-electrical-system/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/08/audi-details-48-volt-electrical-system.html

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:26:16 AM »

Are you sure it's not Audi instead of Volvo? I googled Volvo and 48 volt automotive electrical system and all that comes up is Audi's move to a 48 volt automotive electrical system.

http://www.livelifedrive.com/malaysia/news/view/193566/audi-to-roll-out-48-volt-vehicle-tech-for-more-power

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/08/audi-details-48-volt-electrical-system.html

JX is never wrong -- someone needs to inform the respective Audi and Volvo authorities so they can correct the mix-up  Wink
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:50:16 AM »

I first read about 48 volt automobile electronics five years or so ago, waiting in the eye doctor's office in their old magazines.  perfect for the always-connected driver to have a small frame relay switch in the trunk, along with the huge spool of 4-wire cordage.  or an ALS-1300.

the kicker is that any of the advanced gizmocracky they want to power off 48 volts is exactly the kind of road-rider distraction that state governments are trying to outlaw.  insert Clippy joke here.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:16:11 AM »

Coming up is the 2nd International Conference Automotive 48 V Power Supply Systems from 18 - 20 November, 2014 at Hilton Hotel , Duesseldorf, Germany. The only speaker from Volvo is Robert Eriksson who is
Senior Technical Leader of Electrical Propulsion Architecture.

Maybe this information only applies to hybrid vehicles?

Peter DL8OV
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »

Volvo is planing to move to a long overdue upgrade of cars electrical system. While it is likely still 5 or more years away it is coming. 12v simply cannot provide power for futures concepts. Others will likely follow suit.
So?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »

If automotive systems move to 48V then maybe ham transceivers will also move to 48V and signals will be cleaner.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »

This has to be for electric vehicles.

At 48V you would need 4 times as many plates as a standard car battery.
Unless the battery was a lot bigger the cranking amps would drop by almost a factor of four even though the wattage would remain the same.
The negative aspects of this change are huge.

Every accessory port for example Radio, cig lighter etc would need a DC-DC converter to bring it down to 12V.

Buying a new battery would mean very limited options.

Getting a Jump start would be impossible.

48Vdc is in the shock range so handling the battery would require caution.

I see no benefits for any company to do this with a standard car.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »

In my electric car, a Nissan Leaf, the motor runs off the big lithium battery pack at 400V. The rest of the car, computer, navigation system, cig lighter, lights, etc. runs off a little 12V battery. It's little because no starter motor needed.

Because it's little you can run it down overnight (happens frequently to new Leaf owners) if you accidentally leave the computer, etc. system on when you turn off the big motor circuit.

48V system wouldn't do for running the big motor which requires big volts and it wouldn't do for running everything else designed for nominal 12V.

48V looks doubtful to me.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »

>48Vdc is in the shock range so handling the battery would require caution.<

Over here, it is voltages over 50v DC in marine radios that require the use of a tool such as a screwdriver to gain access, so on that basis, 48volts is 'just' safe. Although personally, I get a bit leery of anything over 30 volts, especially when one is talking of the amps the battery can supply.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »

I think the idea behind the consideration of going to 48VDC is to reduce the required current to power accessory devices. As more and more devices are added, the current requirement keeps increasing. Going from 12VDC to 48VDC will reduce the current (for the same power consumed) to 1/4th. That reduces IR loss in cables and permits you to reduce the size of the wiring. If it happens, in the long term all automotive devices (including radios, computer chargers, GPS devices, etc) will move to 48VDC. It's the same reasoning that the change was made from 6VDC to 12VDC years ago. Of course the change is more difficult now because of the large number of 3rd party (i.e. not supplied with the vehicle) automotive devices available now. Years ago pretty much everything that was powered from the vehicle came with the vehicle.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »

Of course the change is more difficult now because of the large number of 3rd party (i.e. not supplied with the vehicle) automotive devices available now.

There will be ever more third party devices. There may well be ever fewer relatively large, complex vehicles in the light of future climate change regulations.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »

JX is never wrong -- someone needs to inform the respective Audi and Volvo authorities so they can correct the mix-up  Wink

JX said once in a past thread he never reads links...probably because he thinks he is always right and has nothing to learn.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »

>48Vdc is in the shock range so handling the battery would require caution.<

Over here, it is voltages over 50v DC in marine radios that require the use of a tool such as a screwdriver to gain access, so on that basis, 48volts is 'just' safe. Although personally, I get a bit leery of anything over 30 volts, especially when one is talking of the amps the battery can supply.

Yeah 50Vdc is really the mark but 48V is close enough that it would not seem wise to use it in cars with Joe Blow messing around under the bonnet.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: