Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest versions of NBEMS just released  (Read 759 times)
N4UM

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2008, 06:42:13 PM »

Dave, W1HKJ, has just announced the latest versions of two programs comprising NBEMS (Narrow Band Emergency Messaging System.) Fldigi 3.0 is a user friendly general purpose multi-mode digital communications program that handles a broad variety of digital modes -including several new ones; Thor, MFSK32 and MFSK64. Flarq 4.0, a very easy to use error-free file transfer program using ARQ has also just been released.  Both programs run under Windows 2K, XP and Vista as well as under Linux.  Check it out at w1hkj.com.

Tim, N4um
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:58:47 AM »

I've downloaded one or two versions of this program and have not been able to get it to work, since apparently the program defaults to the primary computer sound card. I use Signalink. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where you can select the sound card. I really would like to try this software out though.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:44:32 PM »

Contact Dave, W1HJK.  He can be reached at
w1hkj@w1hkj.com.  You might also want to check out the NBEMS group on Yahoo for assistance.  When all else fails, read the manual.  It's a long one!
KV9U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:42:25 PM »

I had earlier been testing NBEMS with the former VBdigi program and can confirm that having fldigi as the new multimode core program (along with flarq to provide the error correction software) is very impressive.

Fldigi, formerly only available on GNU/Linux, is now available for MS Win XP and Vista, FreeBSD, and Mac OSX. No other software of its type is available at any price and this is free and open software.

Tonight I connected with a station in TX and sent him an error free file of the Gettysburgh Address with over 1400 bytes. Although we used MFSK32, if conditions are good enough you can use the faster MFSK64. Fall back position to MFSK16 with worse conditions. It also has a mode that lets you send unconnected short comments, even in the middle of the file transfer. These are not error corrected however.

The MFSK modes on this software are a newly developed punctured design that is able to get through lightning static better than other modes since it will briefly turn off the AFC when it receives a signal that is too strong to be the one you are working. This prevents the shifting of the frequency with a mode that needs good stability. It is completely backward compatible with previous versions of MFSK, however both stations need to use the same new protocol to have the benefits.

I need to do a lot more testing, and further updates are in development at this time, but I suggest that hams interested in digital text modes, especially for public service/emergency communications take a look at the NBEMS system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: