Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamscope Question -PSK31- Operating tips  (Read 1797 times)
W5ALF

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »

1st off I want to say that I'm very new to the digital modes. My particular issue at the moment is using HAMSCOPE on psk31 with a Signalink USB interface on an XP laptop

I'm trying to keep from becoming a nuisance on the waterfall. I've read a good number of articles on drifting up an down the waterfall during a qso.

I'm having "issues" I guess having to move around the waterfall during a qso. I seem to have to make a slight move on the wf to catch a qso reply..its not much but enough that it sometimes results in missing part of other HAM's transmission.

If possible I'd just like to pick a clear spot on the wf and hang out there until I'm through operating. That way the other person would not have to chase me.

So my Hamscope question is this:
Would it be best then to set the TX and the RX on the exact same freq?

I'd appreciate some constructive operating tips
W0GLB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:18:26 AM »

Not really familiar with Hamscope, but see if it has an AFC feature, and if so, ensure that it is enabled.  You definitely want to tx and rx on the same frequency--minimal bandwidth usage is one of the great features of this mode.  If you continue to face this problem with Hamscope, try HRD/DM780--its free, and ridiculously user friendly, and does have the AFC feature.

GL es 73,

Gordon, W0GLB
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:34:39 AM »

I've never heard of working PSK31 "split" -- with different RX and TX frequencies.   It would be very unusual -- I can imagine it being useful for a DXpedition with a gazillion stations calling, but that's about all.

Make sure your rig's RIT ("receive incremental tuning")or "clarifier" is turned off, or that the relevant control is zeroed-out.  In Hamscope, lock the TX and RX frequencies (on the waterfall) together.  

If your rig has frequency drift, turn on AFC in Hamscope.

You should be OK.  

Charles
N2VWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 05:23:02 AM »

Did you calibrate the sound card?

Gary
W5ALF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:18:55 AM »

The RIT is centered on the IC-718 so it should be off.

Unfortunately anything requiring HRD is probably not going to work for me on a 166 Mhz Win 98 PC

will check on AFC and lock the TR/RX

now calibrating the soundcard..hmmm...nope obviously have not done it...I best go look into the process!

I think the MIXW help has some discussion on it...Maybe another topic on this forum...

Thanks for the tips.

Lane

W5ALF

KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:10:06 AM »

When used with some versions of Windows, the SignaLink USB exhibits an offset between transmit and receive when using the 11025 Hz sampling rate.  Either switch to another sampling rate or use the MixW sound card calibration utility--which you can get for free--to calibrate the sound card in the SignaLink.
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »

First off, your're having problems, not "issues". Everybody has problems when they first begin on digital operating.  May I suggest you download Digipan software, simple easy to use, and download the help sheets provided by just Googling KK7UQ. Read the help sheet provided on Digipan a and digest the KK7UQ and the operation of PSK will become more understandable. Switch of your processor, adjust the rig so that then is NO ALC showing with power out at 25 watts. If you don't have an SWR/power meter buy one soon so that you are aware of your pwer output. If you need help in setting up the 718, go to the Yahoo group who are very helpful people

G0GQK
W5ALF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:10:34 AM »

Have tried Digipan and really liked the Multi-mode
capability...trouble was I seemed to have more drift with it than I did HAMSCOPE.

Net function in HAMSCOPE seems to help quite a bit but being able to view multiple qso's at one time is so appealing that I may have to go back to Digipan
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »

Hi,
   I use my Icom 718 with PSK31 all the time and don't have any problem with drift.   I'm running a fast PC with Win Warbler Software and a homemade interface that connects to the PC's sound card.

Good Luck.

KB3MDT
Ken
K1QN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 08:13:31 AM »

It's really very simple:  Once you start transmitting to a particular station (or CQ for that matter), do not change your _transmit_ frequency for any reason.  Change your RX frequency if necessary.  If the other guy locks his TX frequency, you won't drift.  

WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 06:02:46 AM »

One reason to change your transmit frequency is, if someone else keys over you, you need to shift frequency so the other guy can hear you. On CW, if the other guy drifts and you use RIT to track him, periodically push that button allowing you momentarily listen to your transmit frequency. If someone is keying over you, shift your transmit frequency slightly in the same direction as the shift of the other station's frequency. This is much easier to do using PSK31 because you can see your transmit frequency on the waterfall while copying the other guy's text.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: