- Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community

Call Search

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Friends Remembered
Survey Question

DX Cluster Spots

Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

Friends Remembered Home | Friends Detail

Lt. Bob Cirri (KA2OTD)

Sept. 11, 2001 -- Bob died in the line of duty while acting as a police officer and paramedic evacuating people from the World Trade Center.

Contributed by: Steve Makky, Sr. (KA2AYR)

For as long as anyone can remember, Bob did two things: be on the radio and help people. My earliest recollection of Bob was 1976 when I got a CB radio for my birthday. The official-sounding "Hudson County Monitor" was receiving calls for car accidents and relaying them to the police on the emergency channel, except he sounded as young as me. We finally got to talking and found that we were both only-children. We would become just about family for the next 25 years through life's adventures. Eventually I became licensed and when I turned 18, it was my pleasure to administer Bob's novice exam. Bob took to amateur radio and worked his way up to Extra. He was always heard going to and from work at all hours on my 440 repeater. Bob also worked HF and got a 6 meter Azden as a present from his wife, Eileen. We used to have a sked from Missouri to New Jersey after I moved and even made contact on 6 meter FM. Bob loved public service and helped revitalize the Hudson County emergency management amateur radio program. Bob was also a member of a group of public safety oriented amateurs in northern New Jersey. Bob was both a paramedic and a police lieutenant, and actively worked as a Hackensack University Medical Center paramedic during much of his time off from the Port Authority Police. On a cloudless September morning in 2001, Bob reported to work as the executive officer of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's police academy. He answered the call of aircraft into the World Trade Center towers, along with a number of his colleagues. He, and Captain Kathy Mazza, helped rescue a number of people from limited egress in the World Trade Center lobby. A number of radio and interview transcripts show Bob led a rescue team of police officers through 1 World Trade Center going floor by floor to get victims out. After 2 WTC collapsed, Bob and his crew were hustling to get a disabled woman in a stair chair out of the building. They could have ran for their lives and possibly made it out, but they wouldn't leave her behind. The building came in around them. Bob managed to get a cellular call through to his wife while Capt. Mazza and he were helping bring people out of the lobby. He said he'd be okay. The next morning I received a call from his number. I answered the phone expecting to hear his voice, but it was Eileen telling me he didn't come home that night. He was found with his crew the following February as construction workers and rescuers removed pieces from the Pile. Media reports indicated they were close to the exit but ran out of time. Bob left behind Robert, Anthony, Jessica, Bianca, Francesca, and Kara. Robert and Anthony are now police officers in New Jersey.

Contributed by: Steve Makky, Sr. (KA2AYR)

You must be a member of to post a story on the Friends Remembered page.

Becoming a member of is easy. All we need is a Callsign. The sign-up process prevents others from posting a story as if the story came from you. You can get more information about signing up and our strict adherence to confidentiality at the sign-up page.