- Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community

Call Search

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Friends Remembered
Survey Question

DX Cluster Spots

Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

Friends Remembered Home | Friends Detail

Glen Pennington (WB2BAL)

August 2006

Glen was a good friend and another hero with the NYFD who lost his battle to cancer contracted from the World Trade Center recovery.Most of us who were there still wonder how someone can be treated as Glen was to get the much needed medical help.It seems most have forgotten all who were there already.This country has to get its priorities in order and finally take care of its OWN! Never forget!!

Contributed by: Tom (NB2A)

I'm sorry to hear of Glen's passing. I remember Glen from my days on 2 and 15 meters in the New York City area in late 1970s and early 1980s. I also remember him from the time we were both students at Grover Cleveland High School. He was always cheerful and optimistic, no matter the situation. I'm not surprised that he lost his life helping others, for that was the Glen I knew. --John Edwards, W6JE, ex-WB2IBE, KI2U

Contributed by: John Edwards (W6JE)

Tom, Thank you so much for posting this, I just found out here... Glenford was a gentle giant, a man with no enemies, just friends. I had the pleasure of working with Glen from 1982 until 1990 and having known him as an amateur radio operator since 1976, before that. Glen was always there to lend a hand and offer advice to hams both new and old. Nobody knew their way around a Motrac (or a six foot hero) like he did. One thing Glenford had a passion for (which wasn't mentioned in the article linked to his profile on QRZ), was his fondness of all things Transit related, especially trains and buses. I've attached a K2MAK photo of Glenford Pennington WB2BAL / WX3TWC as most hams would remember him, casually strolling a ham flea market and saying hello and shaking every hand that belonged to a familiar face. Glenford always knew your callsign and name (first and last), even if he just met you once. Can anybody else hear the famous 440.750 WB2BAL "BushPlex" repeater on Chauncey street in Brooklyn? I can hear it... As Glenford would say...Yup! We will miss you Glenn!

Contributed by: Dennis (KB2VUQ)

I knew Glenford for many years and was sad to hear that after he relocated to the PA Poconos, had been battling with cancer. Although it sounded as if things had stabilized, he soon after lost the battle and paid for it with his life. Glen was, as said above, a very gentle and kind person. He was always unassuming, yet always had a big and effective impact on what he did and what he believed in. He had changed his call to WX3TWC due to his immense interest in meteorology. He was very active with NWS Skywarn and quite a few of the most spectacular photos in the training manuals and websites were taken by him. Many were from JFK airport when he worked close by. Years back, several of us went on a camping trip. Glen really wanted to join us. When he met up with us, we learned that he actually rented a car and bought a lot of new gear to make the event. Unfortunately, there will not be an opportunity to do that again. I do think about Glen from time to time. I still have his email address in my address book. When I go to the Poconos, which is frequent, I still can't help but be reminded of Glen. Because he was so unassuming, it is sometimes by accident that you learn about all the things he did in the hobby and in public service. This is a testament to a man who gave of himself without the need for any fanfare. To the original poster, thank you for giving Glen another quiet moment of remembrance. Rob

Contributed by: Rob Robinson (KB2PSM)

I must have met Glen in the 70's for I was a student at Yeshiva University in upper Manhatten. I had recently upgraded to General and was quite active on 2 meters and 220 from my college campus. I attended a meeting of the MAARC in the NBC building. I had two Tempo HT's then and had gotten a "universal" Motorola belt clip for one but they were short in demand. I was mentioning that to some folks when Glen overhearing the conversatin walked up, introduced himself and told me he had an extra one at home. I didn't remember the conversation but in the next few days, Glen had knocked on my door with the belt clip in hand! How he found me or where my room was in the dorm I have no idea. I took him to the roof so he could try out his 440 HT and he accessed his repeater and told me all about how he built it and all it's features like remote tuning, autopatch himself. I was so impressed. We became fast friends. After graduation, I moved to Kansas City, MO for a year but we stayed in touch. A year later I move to North Hollywood, CA. Glen would frequently board a plane and come out and visit. He'd stay with my wife and I. Many times I'd be at work so he'd go "exploring" LA on his own. His duffel bag would be full of HT's, chargers, and scanners. One time the two of us went to Disneyland together. We had a ball. He had one of those medlations that you can engrave with something to "Lady P." his mom who he totally was devoted to. I was crushed when I heard she died in a car accident years later. Glen came many times. After being married for 5 years my wife wanted to move back east so we moved to Sharon, MA. Glen and I had always kept in touch by email or phone. Our conversations were usually about radio (I followed in his foot steps and became a two-way radio tech, probably thanks to his influence.) When we moved to Sharon, he still came and visited often. We didn't have the extra bedroom so he stayed with some other ham friends I had introduced Glen to in Town. He met and became friends with many of my friends from town. He'd frequently come to visit my place of business and my co-workers and boss like him too. My parents took a special liking to him and had him over for diner when he was in CA. We went to Battleship Cove in MA when he was here and we had a great time. He later got into WX and peaked my interest in meteorology as well. He'd always send me weather bulletins of severe weaher expected in my area. Thing changed dramatically when his sister Val called me who I had never met and told me of Glen's condition. Later I would learn more of how he came to be sick. At the time he seemed very matter of fact when he told me about his condition and his amputations. I don't do long distance driving well and never drove up to NJ to see him but I spoke to him regularly for a while. He told me that his Lymphoma was probably treatable and that he'd probably be able to drive again and come and visit after being fitted for artifical legs down the line. He enjoyed being on line with his laptop and being connected to the Weather Channel. At one point he used his phone line to stay dialed in on his computer. I could never get thru. His emails became less and less. I tried all of them and he had many. He no longer had his Nextel phone. Then somehow I heard of his death. I had no idea his health had taken such a down turn. I would have made a greater effort to have gone to visit. I just didn't know. Hardly a day goes by where I don't miss him. He was a pure soul. I only wish I had known his absence was due to to a down turn in his health. I remember his generosity. ( He once gave me one of the compact HF antennas he'd travel with to Dayton which he almost never missed. He'd always give me reports on what he saw there. He may not have been the most talkative but he was 100% friend and I hope he aware of how much he meant to me as a person and as a friend and how loved he was. Dave

Contributed by: David Goldblatt (KA1DPW)

Contributed by: David Goldblatt (KA1DPW)

I first met Glen during a Brooklyn/Staten Island Field Day. He was in is usual white van and he'd help set up and was, as described by many: A man of few words with a big heart. I was in the circle of friends that would go camping with him. This also included Rob KB2PSM, who also has written a tribute to Glen here and I concur with all Rob and others who have told their story about him. We still miss Glen's "Yup." both on and off the air. He will forever be a 911 hero who risked and gave his all and it is all that he ultimately gave.

Contributed by: Anthony G. Catalano (WW2W)

Here is a photo of Glen in 1994. He came camping with a little group of hams to upstate NY. We all had a great weekend.

Contributed by: Anthony G. Catalano (WW2W)

You must be a member of to post a story on the Friends Remembered page.

Becoming a member of is easy. All we need is a Callsign. The sign-up process prevents others from posting a story as if the story came from you. You can get more information about signing up and our strict adherence to confidentiality at the sign-up page.