- Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community

Call Search

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Friends Remembered
Survey Question

DX Cluster Spots

Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

Friends Remembered Home | Friends Detail

Roger D. Bryant (WA5RNL)

January 18, 2014

A good friend from my early college years, Roger Dale Bryant, WA5RNL, died in January of 2014. /// I spent my teenage years (1960s) growing up in San Marcos, Texas (between Austin & San Antonio) and so it was natural when it was time for college that I started at what was then Southwest Texas State University (now it's Texas State University) in San Marcos./// I got my Novice ham license in August 1969, shortly before I began my Sophomore year at SWTSU, and so I quickly found myself involved with the newly formed ham club there (the club call was WB5BIP). That's where I met Roger - probably as the fall semester began at SWTSU in September 1969 . /// The club's sponsor (and license Trustee) was Mr James E. Hodge, W5AEQ, and he was the gentleman who had given me (and my friend from high school years Bill Higgs, later WB5AGE) my Novice exam. Roger got along well with Mr Hodge and the two of us (Roger and me) gave Mr Hodge assistance when he needed antenna work at home (I still have memories working on Mr Hodge's HF antennas (first a quad and later a tri-band beam) with Roger)./// Roger was from the small town of Vanderbilt, down near Victoria. I believe that his mother had passed-away sometime during Roger's childhood and I remember Roger expressing concerns about his father's health but that's all I can remember about his family. /// Roger's car during his college days in San Marcos was a 1965 fire-engine-red Ford Mustang, which was at that time a poor college student's car, and in later years we laughed about how it would have been nice if he still had that car (since the very early Mustangs are now very much sought after). /// My mother also knew Roger and she worried that he didn't eat enough (Roger was right on the verge of being skinny and we were fairly sure that his finances were rather tight) and so she had me invite him over to our house to eat several times./// I left San Marcos in the fall of 1971 to continue on an engineering degree and so I pretty-much lost-touch with Roger for several years (college-Air Force-college-first job) but in the late 1980s I reconnected with Roger (by that time he was married, with a little girl, and he and his family lived in Richmond west of Houston) and we had sporadic communications (at first phone calls and later e-mails) for the next quarter century. /// I don't know the details but Roger had some health issues which caused him to retire early (I believe he told me in 2005) but from what I could tell he was having a reasonably good time, living quietly at home (still in Richmond), for roughly the next eight years. I believe that it was in May 2013 that he learned that he had a form of cancer and for the next half-year he tried medical treatments but they were not effective. Roger and I exchanged our last e-mails on Friday of the week-before-Christmas in December 2013 and I believe that we both knew that it would be our last contact (we wished each other Merry Christmas). /// 73 old friend - Paul, WB5AGF (04 Dec 2015)

Contributed by: Paul N. Nix (WB5AGF)

You must be a member of to post a story on the Friends Remembered page.

Becoming a member of is easy. All we need is a Callsign. The sign-up process prevents others from posting a story as if the story came from you. You can get more information about signing up and our strict adherence to confidentiality at the sign-up page.