Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DX Engineering ATSA-1 Auto Tuned HF Stealth Antenna System Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering ATSA-1 Auto Tuned HF Stealth Antenna System
DX Engineering ATSA-1 Auto Tuned HF Stealth Antenna System Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $459
Description: DX Engineering has designed a complete antenna system that will allow Amateur Radio Operators living even under the shadow of HOA controlled areas to get on the air easily. Typically, with even a short 26 foot wire antenna, you can be on the air on all bands 40M and up – and with only 45 feet of wire you can be on all bands 80M - 10M! This is due to the unique ATSA MatchBoxx™ module which allows use of almost any length wire - no more "forbidden" lengths as with other end-fed systems.

More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-atsa-1

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering ATSA-1 Auto Tuned HF Stealth Antenna System.

N3LCW Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2017 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Works better than expected.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a must have for antenna restricted hams. After spending years experimenting with low dipoles, hidden loaded antennas, this antenna is a welcome performer. Having the tuning unit right at the antenna base makes all the difference rather than having high losses in coax due to a transformer at the feedpoint and tuner in the shack. You don't need heavy gauge wire, #20 black vinyl coated disappears into the background.

Counterpoise setup is easy. All you need are 10 radials 20 feet long or 20 radials 10 feet long, that reduces your ground losses most effectively. Anything more than that is the law of diminishing returns. The proof is in the performance. I eventually lengthened the wire to 35x60 and I work 160M also, all from a small lot.

Sure you can put together your own system piece by piece, but for an all-in-one solution this system is a winner.

KB4RGC Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2016 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Super antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Takes some work to set up but the antenna works great. With 20 radials I did the WAC in 3 weeks running 100W.

The best thing is that it also works good on 160M!!!!!

Bob

K6HOM Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2013 22:24 Send this review to a friend
Two Years Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
An update after nearly two years of use.

The ATSA-1 continues to be an excellent antenna for my antenna-restricted needs. The DXE parts are high quality. The matchbox, 80M coil option and support platform are all well-designed and reliable. No issues after two years of use. However, the integrated MFJ 927 ATU is the weak link. My MFJ ATU has forgotten its memory settings on several occasions and has had to be reset each time (not an easy task as the ATU must first be disassembled from the DXE chassis). These annoyances aside, this ATU does work well in the ATSA-1 setup, it keeps on chugging and re-tunes new frequencies quickly.

Propagation permitting, this antenna works very well. I have achieved WAS-mixed, WAS-digital, and nearly 70 DXCC countries on 100W or less with this antenna as a non-contest operator.

I strongly recommend covering the unit to protect it from the weather, sprinklers, etc. (a Lowe's resin planter box turned upside-down works great), because the MFJ is not really weather-sealed.

My suggestion to DXE for future improvement would be to upgrade the ATSA-1 ATU to a better, weather-proofed unit that can handle 500-600 watts.

Overall, I have been very pleased with this product and can recommend it to other hams living in antenna-restricted communities.

W2RCL Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2011 07:47 Send this review to a friend
A very well constructed, powerful antenna in a small package!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very happy I purchased this antenna. I wanted something that I could work 10-80 meters and also very stealthy so that I could put it close to the house and not have a long feed line. This qualified nicely. I'm using an ICOM IC-7000. I have worked all those bands by running a 45 foot wire to a tree and have made good DX contacts on several continents. One suggestion would be to open your tuner box before you mount it outside and do a full system reset under power. My tuner box came with the power switch in the off position. Hence my frustration when the antenna would not tune after everything was setup and the radials were placed. Once I turned it on, it worked great. DX Engineering indicated it probably came from MFJ that way. I called MFJ and they said it might have been a Monday or Friday problem. Lastly, the tuner and matchbox are high quality and water resistant, but not waterproof. So, I covered my tuner with a faux landscaping rock to prevent water soaking it or snow melting its way in. I drilled a 1 in. hole in the rock to accommodate the wire antenna and to provide some ventilation. My wire runs up at a 55 degree angle at 45 ft. long. It is black and blends in so well, my biggest concern is that it will clothes-line a deer and break. Pictures on QRZ. Rob W2RCL