Reviews Categories | Electronic Component Suppliers | Tube Depot Help

Reviews Summary for Tube Depot
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $N/A
Description: Supplier of tubes and related items.
More info: http://tubedepot.com

You can write your own review of the Tube Depot.

RAYO Rating: 0/5 Oct 17, 2012 10:00 Send this review to a friend
They don't test their tubes, poor quality assurance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In August, 2012 I order over $350. in tubes for my two jukeboxes. This is the first time I ordered from Tube Depot. When I received the order, I tested all of the tubes on my tester. I found that more than half were either weak or not registering at all. I sent an email to Tube Depot notifying them of the issue. They referred me to their technical person. Their technical person swore that all tubes were pre tested and that my tester was not calibrated. I tested other tubes that I received from another online supplier (The Tube Store) and found all to be fine. I sent my entire order back to Tube Depot and received a note back indicating that all tested strong and asked if I wanted them sent back to me, or a refund minus a 20% restocking fee. I was not surprised that the tubes that they were sending back to me would be fine, because this time I am sure that they tested and replaced the weak tubes. Because of their poor quality control, I requested that they credit my account without the penalty of a 20% restocking fee. Emails went back and forth to my finally going to American Express to handle the dispute. Tube Depot called me to ask if I wanted the credit (again minus the 20% restocking fee) and letting me know that an Amex inquiry would take months. The final outcome was that Tube Depot still has not responded to AMEX, and AMEX gave me FULL CREDIT to my account. AMEX also felt that 20% was outrageous. I will never order any more from Tube Depot, since they do not test every tube. I have found that the other supplier (The Tube Store) was extremely credible, competitively priced and all their tubes tested with a strong signal.

KD0JRG Rating: 2/5 Sep 29, 2011 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Spotty QC  Time owned: more than 12 months
First I bought a single tube from Tube Depot. It arrived promptly and well packed. It was also gassy. But so was the tube it was to replace. At first I thought my diagnosis was wrong. But I rethought and retested my radio and no other conclusion would do. This replacement tube was gassy too. It is well to bear in mind that Tube Depot claims to "... fully test each and every tube..". I contacted Tube Depot and they said to return it for examination. I did, they found it gassy, and a new tube was sent to me. The replacement worked fine. But the story doesn't end here.

Thinking that we can all make a mistake, the next time I needed tubes I ordered from Tube Depot again. Mean while I had purchased a tube tester. The four tubes in this order all tested good.

Now for my last and likely final order from this company. This time it is for six tubes. Five are are fine. The bad tube was dual diode/single triode type. Well sort of. One diode section tested 0. Upon closer visual inspection I saw that the internal wire that would have run from the associated pin to the associated anode was missing. Not loose, not disconnected, but missing. I concluded that Tube Depot really does not test all it's tubes though it says it does. By the way, after returning this tube, they replaced it too.

So out of the 11 tubes I ordered two of them were clearly defective. At best they really tested 82% of them. Or maybe they are just lucky 82% of the time. Or maybe they "test each and every tube" that gets returned. Who knows?

I have since turned to other suppliers and had a far higher success rate.