Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Collins KWS-1 Transmitter Help

Reviews Summary for Collins KWS-1 Transmitter
Collins KWS-1 Transmitter Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,995
Description: 1000 watt input transmitter, 80-10m

You can write your own review of the Collins KWS-1 Transmitter.

KB2FCV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2012 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Fun to use, great transmitter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my KWS-1 last year from a ham who took exceptional care of it. I was fortunate to find one that had all the service bulletins done and other reccomended fixes for things such as arcing, etc. The caps, etc were also replaced. This one was truly "plug and play".

I learned the basics of tuning this transmitter up from the seller and I've finally got the hang of it. Tuneup takes a while, especially if you need to change bands - those rolling inductors take alot of rolling to get there.. but that's all part of the charm. Otherwise, the tuneup procedure is fairly straightforward and easy. I've received many good audio reports with it on the air. I've heard other KWS-1's that sound nice on the air as well.

This transmitter is heavy! Make sure you have a friend with you if you need to move the power supply. I keep my power supply on a dolly if I need to roll it around the shack. As with any old radio these will need some occasional maintenance or the occasional repair, which is part of owning one. When I was a kid back in the 80's, I had some old 50's QST's and I used to drool over the KWS-1 and 75A-4. That was "unobtanium" on a kid's salary. It took a while, but a decade or so later I finally have the "Gold Dust Twins". They are alot of fun to own and use.