Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | M2 KT36XA Help

Reviews Summary for M2 KT36XA
M2 KT36XA Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1249
Description: High-performance tribander by M2
More info: http://www.m2inc.com/

You can write your own review of the M2 KT36XA.

NL7AX Rating: 0/5 May 25, 2009 07:51 Send this review to a friend
My best advise is stay away from it.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased one of these nightmares and have had to take it down three times. Each time finding moisture in a trap and the SWR had gone to pot. Tried many different solutions and finally the factory sent me a different antenna and I trashed this one.

My best advise is stay away from it. There are design problems, at least in WA state weather. It may be better is CA or a climate with temperature swings that create moisture.

KC9NJL Rating: 2/5 May 8, 2009 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Fair Weather Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my KT36XA for a year and half or better. I've checked and checked measurements caps and just everything over and over that the engineers have suggested. Apparently they are tired of hearing for me because they won't answer e-mails. When I call I'm told best way to get hold of engineer is to e-mail. Done that. Any time the least amount of precip gets on elements the standing wave goes from 1.1 or 1.2 up to 2.0-2.3 on 10 meter. From 1.2 up to 1.6-2.0 on 20 meter. Doesn't affect 15 meter. So any owners out there with any resolutions to this problem please e-mail me. In fair weather you couldn't ask for a better antenna. johnharp49 @hotmail.com.

9K2FM Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2008 12:45 Send this review to a friend
I live This Antenna ..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered The KT36XA From M2 Company , And I will Receive My Antenna in February 2005.
in 3 Weeks it has been up The tower 70 Foot up the ground , ( Thanks 9k2rf Mohammed ) .
32 foot The Boom , 25 Foot the element and Weighs about 80 lbs .
Signal Reports are 5/9 To 59 ++++ in 20m band
( with 14.240 Group AA2WC & 9k2mu & 9k2gs & Sinyoor Walter K1QS ) .

And The SWR 1:2 in (20m) and also 15 & 10 .
All The M2 Custmer Service is Good Guys
And The Sales Support ( Thanks wyatt )
Im happy with this antenna .

VE6MRV Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2008 22:29 Send this review to a friend
A FANTASTIC Antenna.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The KT36XA is excellent, what the original KT34XA should have been in the first place. I upgraded my KT34XA to KT36XA using M2's upgrade kit. The antenna is now 28 years old: I wouldn't dream of replacing it, not even for a Steppir (COUNT THE ELEMENTS!!) The new machined clamps are WAY better than KLM's original sheet-aluminum clamps. They make me confident that the connections between elements to linear loading tubes will remain solid. Period. No more wiggling loose, like the old clamps. The M2 upgrade instructions are complex, but no problem for hams - we master CW, we can read instructions - RIGHT? I've used this antenna in Nova Scotia and in Alberta and in both QTHs I've had great DX success, using just 100 watts.

WB6Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2005 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Simply wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's a job to put tpgether but well worth it. I upgraded from a KT34XA. This antenna is much better built than the old KT34XA with all new machined spacers etc. Antenna advertisements are always good for a laugh as in the case of the SteppIR who claims the same dbd gain as the M2 KT36XA. The SteppIR is 4 elements on a 32 foot boom, the KT36XA has 5 elements on 20 and 15 meters and 6 elements on 10 meters. Guess they figure nobody reads the antenna handbook and understands the how boom length and elements effect gain. Haven't seen a wide space 4 element beat a 5 element with the same boom length and anyone who claims that well I got a dipole on a 60 foot boom I want to sell hi hi.

Tested the antenna at 22 feet on 5/28/05. While checking it out I worked a 7X4 on 15 meter ssb in the middle of the afternoon barefoot. The other night on 20 meters I worked an ET3, OD5, 4Z5, OK1, SP7, and a GI0 all the signal reports were between 59+10 and 59+20 with comments such as your the strongest signal on the band. Have not worked many pileups yet but the few I worked such as the ET3 and the SV5 I broke with the first call. With my old KT34XA it took me 3 calls to work VU4RBI on Christmas day and after the second call I realized I was on the wrong antenna, enough said.

GM0TGE Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2004 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Killer Tribander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up at the end of Jan 2003. Before that I had a KLM KT34XA, but I had to replace it. I looked at other 30ft+ boom antennas but in the end I opted to get the updated KT36XA from M-squared. I built it up over the xmas holiday period, everything went together perfectly. Mechanical construction is much better than the original, the machined parts are very nice.

Scotland is the windiest place in europe, apparently, and my worry with the interlaced monobander type was the closeness of some of the elements to each other. I have heard of the tips crashing into the neighbouring element, and looking at some of them the elements did seem a bit thin. 80mph+ winds is not unusual here so if I was going to have to go QRT everytime the wind blew then it would be better just to forget about ham radio. The elements on my KT36XA don't bend much even in high winds, rain doesnt detune the antenna, and snow doesnt bother it either.

On the air I have had very good results with it and I have worked 266 countries using it. Compared to the KT34XA there is better performance on 15m, but not quite as good on 20m and 10m. F/B is improved. SWR curves are slightly narrower, presumably the tradeoff from increasing gain and F/B, but SWR is still low across all bands except for above about 29Mhz.

K1KP Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2001 21:11 Send this review to a friend
A true Killer Tribander!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
M2 KT36XA

The redesigned version of the old KLM KT34XA features new computer optimized measurements, and completely redesigned hardware.

Ordered direct from M2, the antenna was shipped the next day and arrived in one week UPS. No missing parts, all carefully packed. All tubing was deburred.

All fasteners are stainless and locknuts with plastic inserts. The shorting clamps are all machined aluminum - really beautiful, will work for years. All structural parts are metal or sturdy fiberglass rod - no plastic.

Very clear instructions made for easy to understand assembly.

Installed at 78 feet, SWR curves right on the money, no adjustments needed. Excellent forward gain, beats my old KT34XA in F/B hands down on all three bands.

A true Killer Tribander!!

K1YSY Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2001 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using this antenna for 5 months. First on a temporary, 20 ft. pole, and now at 58 ft. on a tower. Using only 100 watts, I consistently get 59+ reports from most stations. Almost always am heard quickly in the pileups. I'm hearing and working stations I never heard with lesser antennae. Strong and well built, it has already withstood an ice storm and 48 MPH winds (not at the same time!)