Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Horse Fence Broadband Antenna
Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Reviews: 40 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $85. 20-80m model $140 160m model
Description: Very Broadband HF Antenna. Work entire band without a tuner with low SWR.
More info: http://kf4bwg.com

You can write your own review of the Horse Fence Broadband Antenna.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2018 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Great performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased recently this HF dipole although I had my doubts about its performance but my mind changed totally when I saw it working so well.
My bandwith compared with the bazooka I removed was bigger,from 7050 to 7250 KHz I only have 1.25 SWR and at the ends (7000 and 7300) It only see 1.5 SWR. Its installed as inverted V at only 25 feet up at the center and about 5 feet on each end.
What I still do not understand is why my band noise level decreased 5 S Units compared with the bazooka.
Only defect I see is that been so wide (2 inches wide) it offer to high ressitance to the wind and when I have here strong winds and it moves and twist so much that seem its going to blow away.

KI9S Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2018 12:53 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT, WELL-BUILT 80M ANTENNA!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I, like most hams, love to experiment with antennas. But my current QTH doesn't make it easy to install either a long vertical or a full-sized dipole for 80 meter use. Or so I thought, until today: I purchased the HFBA, and it arrived well-packed by USPS in two days (thanks, Norris!). I spent about an hour here, trying to make it fit into an awkward configuration, so that I could bend it around trees and limbs. It's up now: apex at 35', both arms drop to about 6-10' off the ground at their lowest. I had to lengthen each arm (simple task!), and with about 1' to spare, it tunes from 3.600 to the top of the band at SWR <2:1.

I've read some critiques of this antenna, especially re: the conductors used and their resistance, and how much of the power into the dipole will be lost as heat (it's currently -5 degrees here, so maybe that's a good thing?). Well, I plan to try it next weekend on the NAQP CW contest, using less than 2.5 watts: let's see if my scores improve from my baseline, using this innovative antenna. I'll revise my rating if things are disappointing, but for now, it's a "pack and play" simple dipole, worth looking at for certain.

KN4FIX Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2017 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Worked all 50 states and 60+ countries with it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a new ham, so maybe my recommendation isn't the greatest. But, I bought the 80m single wire version and it has surprised me. Using a MFJ Versa Tuner 2 I am able to work 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 with this antenna. I've worked all my states on FT8, half of then on SSB, and over 60 countries (Digital and SSB) with this antenna. I've been asked from people over 500 miles away if I'm running an amp when they hear me on my FT-891 and this antenna. I'm not. It's just that good.

It's already been through a storm that brought down a tree limb as big around as my arm, but this antenna stayed put and perfectly intact.

W2PH Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2017 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Way to Increase Bandwidth on 75  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased and installed the 2 wire version on 75. I made no adjustments... center at 48' and ends at 10' off the ground with the following results
3700 2.01:1
3750 1.73:1
3800 1.36:1
3853 1.09:1
3900 1.25:1
3950 1.55:1
4000 1.91:1

This more than doubles the bandwidth of mydouble bazooka. Performs well and installed in minutes. All measurements taken with LP-100A
Ed W2PH

KK4OVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2017 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice Addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works quite well. I have the 80m version and tuned it up to 3600 to 4000 khz with SWR from 2:1 AND is resonant at 1:1 at 3800. The band was not great but had good signal reports up to 600 miles or so. Unit was inverted V at 30 ft apex and 3 ft at either end. Nice unit and Ingenious design Not HOA friendly though. Highly recommended

KK4UQB Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2017 06:17 Send this review to a friend
great good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I currently have the 80 meter 4 leg horse fence antenna up in a flat top at 60 ft and can use it on 75/80 meters without my tuner it has a swr of 1.7 at 3.700 at 3.390 its a 1.4 then on 4.000 1.7 when I first put it up I feed it with 50 ohm coax to my radio .. then I changed that to 450 ohm ladder line straight into a LDJ auto tuner so I can use it up 10 10 meters with very good reports. I use a 160 meter cobra ultra light senior as my reference antenna on receive the horse fence is on average 5 s units stronger on with less noise on trans mitt the people I talk to almost daily say my signal went up anywhere from 10 to 15 s units depending on the band. I know have the 160 that I will put up and feed with ladder line as my multi band antenna and use the 80 for a dedicated 75/80 m antenna

KA1VT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2017 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Broadbanded indeed  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you do not want to tune tune tune, this is the antenna that presents a flat SWR across the whole band. Much like a Fat Dipole no tuner needed.
What would be great is an OCF dipole made from this material. Horse dot com sells the material someone might try it.

KB9AVO Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2017 19:26 Send this review to a friend
I Did not believe it ... I was wrong!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I kept reading reviews on how great it was .. and how flat it was on 80 and 40. Awww I'll give it a try. I bought a 40 and the 80. Put it up and had to do a small length adjustment to center it on each ... big deal 10 minutes .. and then was shocked ... it was flat ... it was great ... my net said the signal came up for real. 60 mph winds did not bother it ... but the tree falling on it did. Well thought I was had ... nope, the pressure that kept the wire in, pulled loose, when the storm stopped, looked at the ribbon, hmmm no damage ... so put it back on the connector, readjusted the length, checked the SWR ... and off and running ... VERY HAPPY

KG4SVX Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2016 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Great !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 80m antenna, had a DX-CC up before only got about 100 kc's out of that, the KF4BWG Horse fence antenna tunes from 3.7 - 3.98 below 1.5:1, great build and was shipped fast.

AG5BA Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Very broad banded and well constructed.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 40 meter model direct from KF4BWG at Dayton this year after hearing about it while talking to another vendor at the tailgate. This guy swore up and down that they were the best thing since sliced bread and other hams in his booth agreed. Seemed everybody had a few. Later that day I got to KF4BWG's booth and made the purchase. It costs what it costs, but what you get is worth it, in my view. This is old school USA quality construction - WAY overbuilt. On 40, the SWR is flat, with 1.2:1 at the low end when installed as an inverted V at ~35ft. It's a great performer and made of some battleship-quality components that should last many years. BE ADVISED, HOWEVER: this is no stealth antenna. The elements are made from stuff that looks almost exactly like the stuff those old lawn chair seats are woven with. VERY visible, even from far off.