Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Horse Fence Broadband Antenna
Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $85. 20-80m model $140 160m model
Description: Very Broadband HF Antenna. Work entire band without a tuner with low SWR.
More info: http://kf4bwg.com

You can write your own review of the Horse Fence Broadband Antenna.

KD2HEA Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2015 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started with the 80 M 2 legged version and then easily upgraded to the four legged version. The antenna works great. It has a 1.4 SWR on 80 M without a tuner. Norris is trerrific as he answered my phone calls about installation and operation. Overall I am very satisfied. Ray KD@HEA

N5KFV Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2015 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Do the the covenants where I live I can't have any outside antennas. I was able to install the horse fence 80 meter in my attic. Without the tuner I got a 1to1:3 match from 10 to 80 meters. With my MFJ 986 tuner 1to1. I've been able to talk all over this part of the country and DX with a report of S9 to S20. I highly recommend the horse fence antenna. Great product and great service. Wish we had more companies like them to do business with. Thanks again Norris.
Don N5KFV

KB3TUO Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2015 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I received this antenna, I was a little skeptical. It is easy to see that the antenna is definitely "homebrewed", but I am not sorry that I paid the price I did for something I could have built myself. I'm always happy to support other hams, and this is no exception.

I bought the 80 meter version thinking that I could use it on other bands as well, and I was RIGHT! Want to use it on 40 meters? Just roll up what you don't need at the ends (such that the antenna is effectively a 40 meter dipole) and tighten down the end clamps. Voila! A wonderfully performing 40 meter antenna!

I would have thought that simply moving the end clamps up and down the ends of the antenna would perform the same function as rolling up the ends, but I was wrong. The antenna will resonate on other bands, but only if the ends are rolled up so that the antenna is the proper length.

Since the rolled-up loops were too thick to fit between the clamps, I tightened the clamps onto the single layer of fence material just in front of the rolled-up loops, and then secured the loops from unraveling with zip ties. I was worried that just one layer of the fence material would be too thin for the clamp, but it has been holding on just fine.

My antenna is currently covered in ice and snow, but its performance does not seem to be affected; it still has a very low SWR on the entire 40 meter band!

Even though the antenna is quite long, rolling it up for storage is not a problem as the fence material doesn't tangle easily. The antenna is very light and there is almost no wind load, just as advertised.

I give this one a 5 because it's the best I've used so far! I purchased this after hearing about it from someone on the air. I don't remember who it was, but wherever you are, THANK YOU!

W4FLN Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2015 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Yes, it's that good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I put up a mostly home-brewed hex beam, so I needed an antenna that would cover 40 meters. I found the eHam reviews for Norris' horse fence antennas and they were almost too good to believe. But I have always trusted in the eHam consumer ratings and three pages of 5's is pretty convincing. So I ordered one, and it arrived within three days. Kudos to Norris on the fast service. But more importantly, the antenna is just plain great. I have been using a Pixel Technologies RF Pro as my receive antenna, and this dipole, at 30 feet apex, inverted V with the ends 15 feet up, hears better on 40 meters than the RF Pro. Low SWR across the band, too. I highly recommend this antenna. Thank you Norris, for a great product and great customer service.

W1WRM Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2014 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Horse Fence Ain't no Horse Feathers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was a tad skeptical at first but I threw it up as an inverted V and gosh if it doesn't get out. 1:1 SWR centered at 3.7 MHz or so and I get great reports all the time. Well worth the cost.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2014 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Very Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Brought the 80m HFBA an installed it at 36' to the apex, have a reference dipole that covers 20-40 a the top part of 75m that I checked the antenna against for receive signals. The HFA has more gain than my reference antenna and was slightly clearer and not overly bright sounding audio with 2S units stronger signals, the HFA has a strong signal with 100w. Though it could be an eye sore when in the air, (but its not to my eye) easy to hang and adjust for good SWR, does a reasonable job on 40-20-17-15m & 10m when I tested the antenna using a tuner. For $85.00 an encludes the shipping, This is a very good deal for a 80m antenna. It is also quiter then most 80m wire dipoles.............kb6hrt

N4SVD Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 13:32 Send this review to a friend
HORSE FENCE STILL MAKES HORSE SENSE   Time owned: more than 12 months
This Horse Fence STILL makes Horse Sense!!! See it at Quartzfest 2014!!! I'll give you a demo!!!
Keep up the good work Norris. This antenna is a winner when it comes to EASY UP/EASY DOWN and it ROLLS UP even easier!!! Definitely 5 STARS!!!!!

KA6GEM Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 20:28 Send this review to a friend
The Horse Fence Antenna is a Winner!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a 40 meter Horse Fence Antenna from Norris (KF4BWG) via the internet about 4 months ago and love it! Itís by far the best 40 meter antenna I own. I have tried various antennas at my QTH for 40 meters including a basic wire dipole, a 'random wire" tuned by a Yaesu FC-40, a "double bazooka," a "Cobra-Junior," an Alpha-Delta DXCC and when operating portable, a Buddipole, a Ham-Stick... all pale by comparison. The Horse Fence antenna is very broad-banded and operates very efficiently on most of the 40 meter band. The SWR is so low I don't need an antenna tuner with my Yaesu FT-897D which means that every one of my 100 watts makes it to the air. The ends rolls up and clamp tight so adjustments are drop-dead simple. It is very light weight. I just hoist it up 30 feet using a pulley and rope hanging off the ridge beam at the peak of my roof and secure the ends. It goes up about as easy as raising a flag. It's durable and made from the kind of material that's designed to be outdoors 24/7 facing all the elements including horses, bulls and cows so I'm not worried about it breaking anytime soon. And it rolls up nicely in a Stringliner CordWiz Classic when I change antennas. I've been checking into a 40 Meter net for several years and hams throughout the West agree that they hear me best when I'm on this antenna. At $85 it's a bargain.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 08:21 Send this review to a friend
updated review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to my original review.I started having high SWR and intermittent operation of my antenna, especially when there was a breeze.

I took the antenna down a few times , cleaning the metal bars that hold the wire wrapped and tightening them. would work for a day then back to issues.

I finally separated a few inches of the wire strands out of the webbing, wrapped the bare wire around the bars, then the rest of the antenna. I also used some Pentrox on the connections.

Thus far the antenna has been rock solid with a 1:1 match.

N4SVD Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 19:28 Send this review to a friend
This HORSE FENCE makes a LOT of HORSE SENSE!! Thankkkkeeeeeeww  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This HORSE FENCE makes a LOT of HORSE SENSE!! Thankkkkeeeeeeeeeewwww!! An AWESOME antenna that WORKS for me!! Apex is up 35ft and the ends are up 10ft. GREAT Signals both to and fro. It's the best thing since a CAT got a Climbing Gear!!!
I'm taking it to "2013 Quartzfest" in January and show it to Gordo during the Antenna Walkaround!!
73, A.C. N4SVD "Roughing it Smoooothly in AZ." Full Timer RV'er for 20 years.