Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Horse Fence Broadband Antenna
Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Reviews: 31 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $85. 20-80m model $140 160m model
Description: Very Broadband HF Antenna. Work entire band without a tuner with low SWR.

You can write your own review of the Horse Fence Broadband Antenna.

AG5BA Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Very broad banded and well constructed.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 40 meter model direct from KF4BWG at Dayton this year after hearing about it while talking to another vendor at the tailgate. This guy swore up and down that they were the best thing since sliced bread and other hams in his booth agreed. Seemed everybody had a few. Later that day I got to KF4BWG's booth and made the purchase. It costs what it costs, but what you get is worth it, in my view. This is old school USA quality construction - WAY overbuilt. On 40, the SWR is flat, with 1.2:1 at the low end when installed as an inverted V at ~35ft. It's a great performer and made of some battleship-quality components that should last many years. BE ADVISED, HOWEVER: this is no stealth antenna. The elements are made from stuff that looks almost exactly like the stuff those old lawn chair seats are woven with. VERY visible, even from far off.
WD5DJX Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Antenna Ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am running the 2 legged and 4 legged Horse fence I bought from KF4BWG. I have over 15 antennas on the tower to compare too. I bought the 2 legged type first just to try it and see if it would work. The 2 Legged Antenna worked great so I kept thinking about the 4 legged one and just had to try it too. Man was I impressed! Both of these are 80 meter type and the gain on the 4 legged was outstanding and could run it from 3.700 to 4 Mhz without a tuner. I also run it with a tuner on 60-6 meters and use every single day and night of the year! On noisy nights, I hit it with a KW with no problems. I also get great reports from all over the world no matter what band I am working.
This 4 Legged Horse Fence antenna is the Best money I ever spent on Ham Radio gear in over 40 years as a Ham! If you want the very best antenna money can buy in this type of antenna, this is the one for you!
I bust pileups every day, even without an amplifier and hear signals the guys with the expensive beams wish they could hear!
Try one and you will never be without one on the air! Bull
K4SDW Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Long Term User  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now been using these Horse Fence Antennas for over 5 years and wanted to update my review.
These antennas work great if they are installed the way they are intended to be installed. That is the main thing. I have put them up in all kinds of configurations from Flattop to L shaped to U shaped to Dipole and they will all work.
I have even put them up about 12 feet off the ground and bent them around my property to make them fit and they worked, however, if you can get them away from the house or any structure that can cause interference, at least 25 yards and get the center insulator up to around 30 feet with the ends about 10-15 feet off the ground in an inverted V configuration, they will work the best.
If you have the luxury of getting the center up about 65 feet and the ends up about 15-20 feet even better. If they are installed correctly and that is the key - I can use my 80 meter horse fence antenna on any band with a good tuner. I shortened my legs down to 58.5 feet and the antenna was resonate on 3.900 so I can now work from 3.750 to 3.997 without even tuning the antenna. The Antenna came with enough material to make each leg 63 feet long if you so desire and want to work down around 3.500 - 3.600. All you have to do to shorten it is loosen a couple of bolts on the end clamps and roll it up to the length you want it and you are good to go.
I have been very pleased with this antenna. My SWR stays around 1.1 all the time. The wind blows it around some when it is very windy but it has not hurt it. Norris (KF4BWG) is good to work with and if you ever have a problem with the antenna, he will do everything he can to help you get it straightened out.

Some of the XYL's do not like the white colored horse fence materials, but most of the hams I have talked to that use the horse fence antennas, love them. They are easy to put up. Like I said, just make sure you get them put up right.
If you get them too close to a metal roof or something like that, you may not be able to get them to tune some of the other bands, but as long as they are put up the way they were intended to be put up, you will have a great antenna to work with.
WC3O Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2016 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Agree with last review. Love the antenna. Performs very well. However, had it up around 70 feet and had it attached to trees on one side so couldn't pull it tight. That baby FLEW in the wind until the wires broke where is clamps to the balun. I snipped a little off each side and good as new again. Just can't put it in the wind so much. However, great antenna. Great EMCOMM antennas as well since it roles up nice and small and is very light.
N5CWF Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna works very well. 5/9 canada from Dallas 100 watts. Fired up the amp. Everyone gives me 5/9++.
I bought the 80 meter version. 80 is flat across the band.
10 meter is low swr impedance is perfect on 80 and 10.
All other bands tune up very nicely.

The only complaint. Wind load. It does have a heavy wind load.
AE4NR Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2015 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Oh my gosh it works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was really saying to myself there is just no way this antenna is as good as everyone claims.Well folks let me tell you I bought the 40 meter version and it is fantastic. Fair warning the xyl is not going to like it if you put it up any where within her or his eyesight.Worst case swr is 1:3/1very acceptable for me.
KD2HEA Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2015 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started with the 80 M 2 legged version and then easily upgraded to the four legged version. The antenna works great. It has a 1.4 SWR on 80 M without a tuner. Norris is trerrific as he answered my phone calls about installation and operation. Overall I am very satisfied. Ray KD@HEA
N5KFV Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2015 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Do the the covenants where I live I can't have any outside antennas. I was able to install the horse fence 80 meter in my attic. Without the tuner I got a 1to1:3 match from 10 to 80 meters. With my MFJ 986 tuner 1to1. I've been able to talk all over this part of the country and DX with a report of S9 to S20. I highly recommend the horse fence antenna. Great product and great service. Wish we had more companies like them to do business with. Thanks again Norris.
KB3TUO Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2015 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I received this antenna, I was a little skeptical. It is easy to see that the antenna is definitely "homebrewed", but I am not sorry that I paid the price I did for something I could have built myself. I'm always happy to support other hams, and this is no exception.

I bought the 80 meter version thinking that I could use it on other bands as well, and I was RIGHT! Want to use it on 40 meters? Just roll up what you don't need at the ends (such that the antenna is effectively a 40 meter dipole) and tighten down the end clamps. Voila! A wonderfully performing 40 meter antenna!

I would have thought that simply moving the end clamps up and down the ends of the antenna would perform the same function as rolling up the ends, but I was wrong. The antenna will resonate on other bands, but only if the ends are rolled up so that the antenna is the proper length.

Since the rolled-up loops were too thick to fit between the clamps, I tightened the clamps onto the single layer of fence material just in front of the rolled-up loops, and then secured the loops from unraveling with zip ties. I was worried that just one layer of the fence material would be too thin for the clamp, but it has been holding on just fine.

My antenna is currently covered in ice and snow, but its performance does not seem to be affected; it still has a very low SWR on the entire 40 meter band!

Even though the antenna is quite long, rolling it up for storage is not a problem as the fence material doesn't tangle easily. The antenna is very light and there is almost no wind load, just as advertised.

I give this one a 5 because it's the best I've used so far! I purchased this after hearing about it from someone on the air. I don't remember who it was, but wherever you are, THANK YOU!
WO4K Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2015 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Yes, it's that good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I put up a mostly home-brewed hex beam, so I needed an antenna that would cover 40 meters. I found the eHam reviews for Norris' horse fence antennas and they were almost too good to believe. But I have always trusted in the eHam consumer ratings and three pages of 5's is pretty convincing. So I ordered one, and it arrived within three days. Kudos to Norris on the fast service. But more importantly, the antenna is just plain great. I have been using a Pixel Technologies RF Pro as my receive antenna, and this dipole, at 30 feet apex, inverted V with the ends 15 feet up, hears better on 40 meters than the RF Pro. Low SWR across the band, too. I highly recommend this antenna. Thank you Norris, for a great product and great customer service.