Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Horse Fence Broadband Antenna
Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Reviews: 37 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $85. 20-80m model $140 160m model
Description: Very Broadband HF Antenna. Work entire band without a tuner with low SWR.
More info: http://kf4bwg.com

You can write your own review of the Horse Fence Broadband Antenna.

W2PH Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2017 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Way to Increase Bandwidth on 75  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased and installed the 2 wire version on 75. I made no adjustments... center at 48' and ends at 10' off the ground with the following results
3700 2.01:1
3750 1.73:1
3800 1.36:1
3853 1.09:1
3900 1.25:1
3950 1.55:1
4000 1.91:1

This more than doubles the bandwidth of mydouble bazooka. Performs well and installed in minutes. All measurements taken with LP-100A
Ed W2PH

KK4OVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2017 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice Addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works quite well. I have the 80m version and tuned it up to 3600 to 4000 khz with SWR from 2:1 AND is resonant at 1:1 at 3800. The band was not great but had good signal reports up to 600 miles or so. Unit was inverted V at 30 ft apex and 3 ft at either end. Nice unit and Ingenious design Not HOA friendly though. Highly recommended

KK4UQB Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2017 06:17 Send this review to a friend
great good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I currently have the 80 meter 4 leg horse fence antenna up in a flat top at 60 ft and can use it on 75/80 meters without my tuner it has a swr of 1.7 at 3.700 at 3.390 its a 1.4 then on 4.000 1.7 when I first put it up I feed it with 50 ohm coax to my radio .. then I changed that to 450 ohm ladder line straight into a LDJ auto tuner so I can use it up 10 10 meters with very good reports. I use a 160 meter cobra ultra light senior as my reference antenna on receive the horse fence is on average 5 s units stronger on with less noise on trans mitt the people I talk to almost daily say my signal went up anywhere from 10 to 15 s units depending on the band. I know have the 160 that I will put up and feed with ladder line as my multi band antenna and use the 80 for a dedicated 75/80 m antenna

KA1VT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2017 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Broadbanded indeed  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you do not want to tune tune tune, this is the antenna that presents a flat SWR across the whole band. Much like a Fat Dipole no tuner needed.
What would be great is an OCF dipole made from this material. Horse dot com sells the material someone might try it.

KB9AVO Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2017 19:26 Send this review to a friend
I Did not believe it ... I was wrong!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I kept reading reviews on how great it was .. and how flat it was on 80 and 40. Awww I'll give it a try. I bought a 40 and the 80. Put it up and had to do a small length adjustment to center it on each ... big deal 10 minutes .. and then was shocked ... it was flat ... it was great ... my net said the signal came up for real. 60 mph winds did not bother it ... but the tree falling on it did. Well thought I was had ... nope, the pressure that kept the wire in, pulled loose, when the storm stopped, looked at the ribbon, hmmm no damage ... so put it back on the connector, readjusted the length, checked the SWR ... and off and running ... VERY HAPPY

KG4SVX Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2016 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Great !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 80m antenna, had a DX-CC up before only got about 100 kc's out of that, the KF4BWG Horse fence antenna tunes from 3.7 - 3.98 below 1.5:1, great build and was shipped fast.

AG5BA Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Very broad banded and well constructed.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 40 meter model direct from KF4BWG at Dayton this year after hearing about it while talking to another vendor at the tailgate. This guy swore up and down that they were the best thing since sliced bread and other hams in his booth agreed. Seemed everybody had a few. Later that day I got to KF4BWG's booth and made the purchase. It costs what it costs, but what you get is worth it, in my view. This is old school USA quality construction - WAY overbuilt. On 40, the SWR is flat, with 1.2:1 at the low end when installed as an inverted V at ~35ft. It's a great performer and made of some battleship-quality components that should last many years. BE ADVISED, HOWEVER: this is no stealth antenna. The elements are made from stuff that looks almost exactly like the stuff those old lawn chair seats are woven with. VERY visible, even from far off.

WD5DJX Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Antenna Ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am running the 2 legged and 4 legged Horse fence I bought from KF4BWG. I have over 15 antennas on the tower to compare too. I bought the 2 legged type first just to try it and see if it would work. The 2 Legged Antenna worked great so I kept thinking about the 4 legged one and just had to try it too. Man was I impressed! Both of these are 80 meter type and the gain on the 4 legged was outstanding and could run it from 3.700 to 4 Mhz without a tuner. I also run it with a tuner on 60-6 meters and use every single day and night of the year! On noisy nights, I hit it with a KW with no problems. I also get great reports from all over the world no matter what band I am working.
This 4 Legged Horse Fence antenna is the Best money I ever spent on Ham Radio gear in over 40 years as a Ham! If you want the very best antenna money can buy in this type of antenna, this is the one for you!
I bust pileups every day, even without an amplifier and hear signals the guys with the expensive beams wish they could hear!
Try one and you will never be without one on the air! Bull

K4SDW Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Long Term User  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now been using these Horse Fence Antennas for over 5 years and wanted to update my review.
These antennas work great if they are installed the way they are intended to be installed. That is the main thing. I have put them up in all kinds of configurations from Flattop to L shaped to U shaped to Dipole and they will all work.
I have even put them up about 12 feet off the ground and bent them around my property to make them fit and they worked, however, if you can get them away from the house or any structure that can cause interference, at least 25 yards and get the center insulator up to around 30 feet with the ends about 10-15 feet off the ground in an inverted V configuration, they will work the best.
If you have the luxury of getting the center up about 65 feet and the ends up about 15-20 feet even better. If they are installed correctly and that is the key - I can use my 80 meter horse fence antenna on any band with a good tuner. I shortened my legs down to 58.5 feet and the antenna was resonate on 3.900 so I can now work from 3.750 to 3.997 without even tuning the antenna. The Antenna came with enough material to make each leg 63 feet long if you so desire and want to work down around 3.500 - 3.600. All you have to do to shorten it is loosen a couple of bolts on the end clamps and roll it up to the length you want it and you are good to go.
I have been very pleased with this antenna. My SWR stays around 1.1 all the time. The wind blows it around some when it is very windy but it has not hurt it. Norris (KF4BWG) is good to work with and if you ever have a problem with the antenna, he will do everything he can to help you get it straightened out.

Some of the XYL's do not like the white colored horse fence materials, but most of the hams I have talked to that use the horse fence antennas, love them. They are easy to put up. Like I said, just make sure you get them put up right.
If you get them too close to a metal roof or something like that, you may not be able to get them to tune some of the other bands, but as long as they are put up the way they were intended to be put up, you will have a great antenna to work with.

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2016 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Agree with last review. Love the antenna. Performs very well. However, had it up around 70 feet and had it attached to trees on one side so couldn't pull it tight. That baby FLEW in the wind until the wires broke where is clamps to the balun. I snipped a little off each side and good as new again. Just can't put it in the wind so much. However, great antenna. Great EMCOMM antennas as well since it roles up nice and small and is very light.