Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Horse Fence Broadband Antenna
Horse Fence Broadband Antenna Reviews: 21 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $85. 20-80m model $140 160m model
Description: Very Broadband HF Antenna. Work entire band without a tuner with low SWR.
More info: http://kf4bwg.com

You can write your own review of the Horse Fence Broadband Antenna.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2014 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Very Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Brought the 80m HFBA an installed it at 36' to the apex, have a reference dipole that covers 20-40 a the top part of 75m that I checked the antenna against for receive signals. The HFA has more gain than my reference antenna and was slightly clearer and not overly bright sounding audio with 2S units stronger signals, the HFA has a strong signal with 100w. Though it could be an eye sore when in the air, (but its not to my eye) easy to hang and adjust for good SWR, does a reasonable job on 40-20-17-15m & 10m when I tested the antenna using a tuner. For $85.00 an encludes the shipping, This is a very good deal for a 80m antenna. It is also quiter then most 80m wire dipoles.............kb6hrt

N4SVD Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 13:32 Send this review to a friend
HORSE FENCE STILL MAKES HORSE SENSE   Time owned: more than 12 months
This Horse Fence STILL makes Horse Sense!!! See it at Quartzfest 2014!!! I'll give you a demo!!!
Keep up the good work Norris. This antenna is a winner when it comes to EASY UP/EASY DOWN and it ROLLS UP even easier!!! Definitely 5 STARS!!!!!

KA6GEM Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 20:28 Send this review to a friend
The Horse Fence Antenna is a Winner!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a 40 meter Horse Fence Antenna from Norris (KF4BWG) via the internet about 4 months ago and love it! Itís by far the best 40 meter antenna I own. I have tried various antennas at my QTH for 40 meters including a basic wire dipole, a 'random wire" tuned by a Yaesu FC-40, a "double bazooka," a "Cobra-Junior," an Alpha-Delta DXCC and when operating portable, a Buddipole, a Ham-Stick... all pale by comparison. The Horse Fence antenna is very broad-banded and operates very efficiently on most of the 40 meter band. The SWR is so low I don't need an antenna tuner with my Yaesu FT-897D which means that every one of my 100 watts makes it to the air. The ends rolls up and clamp tight so adjustments are drop-dead simple. It is very light weight. I just hoist it up 30 feet using a pulley and rope hanging off the ridge beam at the peak of my roof and secure the ends. It goes up about as easy as raising a flag. It's durable and made from the kind of material that's designed to be outdoors 24/7 facing all the elements including horses, bulls and cows so I'm not worried about it breaking anytime soon. And it rolls up nicely in a Stringliner CordWiz Classic when I change antennas. I've been checking into a 40 Meter net for several years and hams throughout the West agree that they hear me best when I'm on this antenna. At $85 it's a bargain.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 08:21 Send this review to a friend
updated review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to my original review.I started having high SWR and intermittent operation of my antenna, especially when there was a breeze.

I took the antenna down a few times , cleaning the metal bars that hold the wire wrapped and tightening them. would work for a day then back to issues.

I finally separated a few inches of the wire strands out of the webbing, wrapped the bare wire around the bars, then the rest of the antenna. I also used some Pentrox on the connections.

Thus far the antenna has been rock solid with a 1:1 match.

N4SVD Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 19:28 Send this review to a friend
This HORSE FENCE makes a LOT of HORSE SENSE!! Thankkkkeeeeeeww  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This HORSE FENCE makes a LOT of HORSE SENSE!! Thankkkkeeeeeeeeeewwww!! An AWESOME antenna that WORKS for me!! Apex is up 35ft and the ends are up 10ft. GREAT Signals both to and fro. It's the best thing since a CAT got a Climbing Gear!!!
I'm taking it to "2013 Quartzfest" in January and show it to Gordo during the Antenna Walkaround!!
73, A.C. N4SVD "Roughing it Smoooothly in AZ." Full Timer RV'er for 20 years.

KB0QMF Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2012 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Tremendous Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm still scratching my head as to how well this antenna works.

First of all, I placed the order with Norris on a Wednesday. He had it in the mail on Thursday. It showed up at my door on Saturday. Antenna gloriously hanging in the breeze about 30 minutes later!

Until now, the best wire antenna I've ever used is the Buckmaster 7 band 3 kw version OCF dipole. Not any more. I still deeply admire the Buckmaster product, but the KF4BWG Horse-fence is clearly in the same league on both RX and TX capabilities, in addition the fact that there's no balun to burn up on 30 meters!

My antenna (the 80 meter version) is fully resonate from 3500 to 3800 khz and tunes easily on 20m, 40m, 10m, plus the WARC bands with an external tuner. Current deployment is an inverted V with apex at only 18 ft, ends at 8 ft. So far I've had many excellent reports, all running barefoot.

This antenna is QUIET! My antenna would be up higher if possible, but I'm inhibited by power lines on both sides. So far, I've detected NO power line noise.

The Horse-fence is incredibly strong, yet still light weight and very easy to handle, deploy, take down, and store. I'll be getting another to keep in my travel/portable bag, and am looking forward to using it on field day.

Norris, (KF4BWG) is an absolute Jewel! Good communicator, and obviously a brilliant engineer. I really like his website with all the pictures and descriptions of his inventions, contraptions, and radio antics. I mean, seriously. Tuning and using a tree to resonance for an antenna? Outstanding! Norris likes to tinker and experiment, and isn't shy about the fact that he enjoys his hobby. Obviously he's having a lot of fun, and to me, that's so much of what Amateur Radio is all about. We need more like him!

This one's a winner. Thanks for a great antenna, Norris!

Very best 73, and hope to see you all on the bands.

K9HKS Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2012 06:20 Send this review to a friend
So far so Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just put the antenna up and have had several contacts on 75 meters 3.940 and up swr is 1.5. At 3.894 its zero swr. I could take the time and tune for a little higher in the band. When I put it up I rolled it up one foot on each leg and it worked out the first time! Must say with the poor band conditions the noise level is very low and signal reports have been better then my windom which I thought could not be improved on! Tried it on 40,20 17 and worked fine but these bands have not been good so will write another report later. Very satisfied with the way it performs on 75 meters.

NJ6OE Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2012 00:18 Send this review to a friend
Buy one for Field Day  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is as advertised. A great antenna that can be used as a dipole, Vee, or vertical with counter poise. Very easy to work with, rolls back up for storage or if you have limited space just unroll as much as you need for the band. Works with a tuner even when rolled short, as expected. Extremely broadband even on 80m. Consistent great reports. 80m Vee config, 40 ft apex, 8 ft ends. PSK31, 50 watts, Kenwood 2000X, internal tuner. CA to Switzerland on 15m. Band was in, I can't complain about a 10,000 mile contact.

Norris is great to work with. I installed antenna too close to a shed, my error, and the high winds blew it into the shed for days on end, cut the antenna in two. Norris sent me a splice and a 5 ft section of antenna (poly tape) to replace the bad section, AT NO COST, and he paid shipping.

Thinking of buying another for Field Day.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2012 09:48 Send this review to a friend
GREAT antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave it a 5 for the following reasons:

I purchased the 80 meter version

1.Small business Ham product and a FB fellow to deal with

2, Very good construction from the center SO239 insulator to the wire used. There are also feet markings on the ends of each leg to assist in tuning.They are marks-a-lot markings, but I plan to remark them with paint to assist in weatherproofing.

3.Broad banded and tunes up with an tuner easily.Right out of the box resonates @ 3.700 for me.The apex is up only 25 feet and the ends of the legs about 18 feet,legs running N-S.

5.Norris was having a sale so I purchased the antenna with free shipping, and received the antenna via USPS within a few days.

I recommend this antenna even if you dont have any livestock :).

KB0NDS Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2012 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Awesome antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I changed out a traditional wire dipole with an 80 meter version of the horse fence antenna and can't believe the difference. Much better performance all around. Fine product Norris, Thanks.