Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | EARCH 40-6 end fed wire antenna Help

Reviews Summary for EARCH 40-6 end fed wire antenna
Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$44 including shipping
Description: End fed antenna for 40-6 meters. A fund raising project by members of the Emergency Amateur Radio Club of Honolulu. HI.
More info: http://www.earchi.org.

You can write your own review of the EARCH 40-6 end fed wire antenna.

WB2LEB Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the end fed mounted 40 feet above ground running from the house to a telescopic pole 71 feet away. The antenna height is 40 feet. It works terrific on all bands. I had contacted Charles Hanebuth at the club before the purchase to inquire about the added length over the 60 feet and he was most helpful. The antenna works great on all bands, and was very easy to install.

KK4WEY Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the match box on my mast 14 ft up and the wire is in a slope configuration with it's wire tied to a tree branch at 8 ft above the ground. Using my LDG Z11 pro II, I have worked 10-80m with the SWR averaging 1.75. This antenna is almost invisible and only cost $49.00 shipped. I plan to keep this dipole installed permanently, and hope it lasts. The club in Hawaii did a great job with this product and delivery was quick.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2014 13:46 Send this review to a friend
so far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I got the antenna, left town with my Icom 706 to a place in the boonies called Old Chatham, NY. We rented a house there and I had not been there yet to see it - until this weekend. A huge house but all the windows had screens on them so things looked bleak to get the antenna outside. But there was ONE window without a screen and I threw the antenna out the window which is about 30 feet up and tied the other end onto a tree at about 6 feet. First contact was with F6. Then signals came pouring in. Operating with 20 watts on the 706 with a 7aH gel cell I had plenty of activity. The Minnesota QSO party was a good test and everyone I answered heard me. Very nice indeed!

ARAHAIM Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2013 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Worth Every Penny  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this thing about 3 months now, and have used it mostly on 40, 10 and some 6M work. I am not a contest type operator, and I like nets or rag chewing in voice modes; so that is what I am using it for.

Mine is set up at the base of my VHF/UHF/6M Diamond antenna; which places it around 25 feet or so above the ground, and slightly sloped down to the free end at around 15 feet off the ground. It is aligned along a north/south orientation, with the southern end being the higher.

I would give this thing a 4.5 out of 5 if that was an option. I'm still a relatively new "ham" operator, though I have been using radios for 29+ years in a work capacity.

The only reason it does not get a "5" across the board is that it's not a super antenna at 100 feet or more.

I am located about two miles from the ocean, along the southwest Florida coast; and I have heard signals from Europe, Canada, Central and South America, and the pacific rim with minimal noise.

Band conditions during the daytime when I have elected to transmit, have allowed me to reach over to Texas, up to Illinois, and over to Virginia and be acknowledged.

If you are looking for an inexpensive antenna that works, and that can be installed in short order (and taken down just as quick), then I highly recommend this antenna.

The club that supplies these does a great job, is responsive to requests for information, and provides it to you in a very reasonable time.

And if you don't have an emergency HF antenna already in your bug out kit, and are technically challenged like me, then this is a great option for any operator.

K0BAY Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased an FT-817 and Z817 for portable use when traveling. I looked over the Internet and read all the reviews. This seemed to be the perfect choice in size and performance. The antenna arrived in three days (to Kansas from Hawaii)!!! My first time using it I could hear Japan and Australia and made contact on 17m with Virginia. I am impressed! I am no ham radio expert and certainly not an antenna expert, but I recommend the EARC 6-40.

KC0TRK Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Great 1st Impression  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a portable antenna that was quick to install. The EARCH 40-6 had great reports and glowing recommendations here and on QRP groups, such as SOTA. After a commo glitch in the order process, I received 40-6 by post in 4 days. I popped my MFJ 1910 in a front yard shrub, tied the end of the antenna to the tip, extended it and used a 10' piece of R8X (6ft less that designed minimum, but all I hard quickly available) to hook up to my KX3. Within a few minutes had a 55 report from N5SDO and a 58 from W9IMS special event station. Tear down and stowed every thing in less than 10 minutes. Not bad for a front porch station! (Yes, we have a HOA! Let 'em shout.) Would be using it as I type except a thunderstorm is moving in. Lives up to its reputation and was glad to help with the $49 fund raiser!

KC9WQR Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 23:28 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took this antenna with matchbox on a 2 week vacation to the Outer Banks in North Carolina and made several contacts in all different configurations. I even wrapped it around a 22 foot windsock pole and made my furthest contact at 2335 miles on 17 meters SSB running only 5 Watts!!!! Simply amazing for the price. 5 stars for craftsmanship/ engineering/ performance.

KF7YDL Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2013 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Due to HOA regulations I needed a stealth HF antenna. Not being pleased with the expense, required ground system and likely and sub par performance of a vertical I decided to try the EARCH. I was not disappointed.

Mine is set up as a sloper, 20 feet up on one end to 6 foot on the other. I replaced a G5RV. Where I was deaf on 15 to 10 meters before I have literally worked the world on these bands now with this little wire. 20 meters is good but, likely due to the low setup, range is limited to the US. 40 meter performance was poor as the signal is leaving the antenna at a high angle, again due to the height.

Follow the instructions. The higher the better. Every antenna needs a counterpoise. You can't beat the laws of physics. The counterpoise for this one is the coax feed run. This is per a phone call to the designer. It needs to be 30 feet plus long with no common current chokes.

The unit is supplied with thin, black antenna wire. Nearly invisible in my location. Perfect.

Although I haven't tried it, it ought to be perfect to use on field day. I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to set up. Hook it in a tree, pull the wire out 33' to a 3 foot 2x2 stake (or a 6 foot mast made of 1" PVC) with the box attached. Run 30 feet of coax to a tailgate or picnic table and you're on the air.

As another reviewer stated "Its no beam", but considering the coat, ease of instillation and stealth profile its not a bad compromise.

K7ZOV Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 18:28 Send this review to a friend
They really work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran across this site awhile back. I have been collecting EndFeed antenna information since the mid-90's. Many years before PAR/LNR can on to be. (same design concept) I am on vacation now and took the 6-40 meter version. It loads like a dream with my KX3. I have built the 40 and 20 meter versions and made adjustments for 17 meter, 12 meter and 10 meter. In all cases the antenna worked without a ATU. It does not need a counter-poise. Height and angle has little to mostly no effect on the SWR. It is a true 1/2 wave antenna without the hassle of center feeding and tuning issues. HOA, campers, hikers, EmComm or just for back-up. Give the antenna a try. You will be amazed. I was and still am.

KB3NFM Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 17:07 Send this review to a friend
My Hawaiian antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I got my first HF rig, a Yaesu FT-450D I needed a quick and simple antenna to get on the air. I explained my situation and it was suggested that I try a 66í version. Itís in a sloper configuration at 8í to 40í. It tunes up quickly with my LDG YT-450 Autotuner. I like to work special event stations and Iíve made contacts from CT to CA and Canada to Puerto Rico on 100 watts from 6 to 80M. Its perfect for portable or permanent installation were stealth or compactness are needed. Someday I may upgrade to a G5RV but for now this antenna is doing just fine.