Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG-817H Help

Description: Touted as "the Z-817H is the ultimate autotuner for QRP radios
including the Yaesu FT-817(D) with addition of the Tokyo High
Power HL-45B"
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/1/66/1

You can write your own review of the LDG-817H.

OE1ENS Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2017 23:28 Send this review to a friend
very nice tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A few days ago I got a ldg z-817h. I use the tuner with the ft-817 and the mx-p50m amp and I am very happy. Tuning is fast and I always get a swr 1.15:1 or less. You only have to pay attention, that the amp is switched off during the tuning procedure. It is really a nice tool for the ft-817 with a small amp.

WW5XX Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2015 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Great 817 Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I purchased my Yaesu FT-817ND a little over a year ago, I also bought the LDG-817H to go along with it. My thinking was I may well end up hooking it up to a small Amp. I never did put an Amp in line with it, but I must say I can't imagine not having this fine tuner tied in with it. It will tune most anything I can throw at it. It sometimes takes a little time to find a new match the first time, but after that it is quick. With all the controls and menus on the 817, the last thing I wanted was not to have an effective simple tuner. The LDG-817H just works perfect with my setup.

KM4IXK Rating: 2/5 Jun 28, 2015 17:45 Send this review to a friend
I would look for another product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You'll know right away from the cheap laser printed manual that you've bought a cheap piece of garbage.

Soooo... I'm fairly disappointed with my purchase. My tuner was purchased new in the box, it did not function. I emailed them for help. Their response was the usual, "check the cables. Are the batteries in the right way?"... Ok. Fair response, lets get the basic stuff out of the way. Yep, Cable is good. batteries are in right. So I emailed them back, "send it back for repair"

So now I've received exactly two single sentence responses from their customer support department. I tried to return it to the somewhat popular online store I bought it from but they only had a 10 day return policy which was 4 days past so I had to send it to LDG for repair. I suspect the store didn't want this garbage back either. Most stores will give you leeway on their return policy for items worth their cost.

A full 6 weeks later, the item returns. Still non functional with a very short note saying they tested it on an FT 817 with the customer supplied cable and it works fine. They suggested I check my cables. Why they tested it on an FT 817 when I told them I was using another QRP rig I don't know. perhaps reading customer supplied problem reports is not among their skill set.

This tuner may actually work with an FT 817. But I doubt it works with "any qrp rig" as advertised. I'll be tossing mine in the scrap pile. I've learned a lesson here. Before buying anything, call on the phone first. Send an email. Do something to make sure the company isn't generally unsavory and can actually support their products before you purchase anything ham related. LDG Falls far outside this basic guideline.

W3CE Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 01:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'be been using the 817H for about 6 months now and am very pleased.
I have the FT-817ND and the THP HL45B connected to a Cobra Junior doublet antenna fed with 450 Ohm twin lead. I have the LDG 4:1 Balun between the tuner and feedline.
It tunes all bands from 80 through 10 with no problems. The first time I tune a new freq it does take a few seconds, but the settings are stored in memory and the next time I tune that freq it recovers the settings in less than a second.

VE3EGA Rating: 3/5 Oct 20, 2011 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Read The Manual!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Firstly, my product rating is based upon my personal experience with the product and my initial reaction to the events that followed:

I excitedly, purchased this tuner when it first became available. I have the Tokyo High Power HL-45B amp and wanted a small tuner for those Summer /P trips or QRP in the shack.

As a precursor to a full hook up I installed the tuner with my FT-817ND and connected my Carolina Windom Antenna (40m) directly to it. This antenna loads easily with my manual tuners!

The tuning cycles took a few seconds as the tuner switched mode, relays clattered, tuned and eventually restored my radio to SSB. The indication from the radio and the tuner was a satisfactory match!

I figured this was normal (although it seemed to take forever) so hooked up the HL-45B. The power LEDS were not fully lit, so I instinctively re-tuned for 45W output - again the tuner went thru a full tuning cycle - MY FIRST BIG MISTAKE...

"NEVER SWITCH ON YOUR THP AMP WHILE USING RELAY-BASED TUNERS!"

I had a couple of QSO's and then switched the radio/amp off.

Happy, - a few days later I decided to switch it back on - this time on 20m. I put my SWR Meter in line to monitor the tuning cycle..

The tuner went through its 'dog and pony show' but I was somewhat concerned that it was taking longer than it perhaps should to tune and I didn't like the repeated 'High SWR Warnings on the radio and on the radio's the meter as the tuning cycle commenced, should have warned me there and then! (note: 20m is a snip with this antenna on all my other tuners)- anyway I had a couple of QSO's...

Like an idiot, I QSY'd back to 40M and the same thing again (took around 6 seconds to get a match) - and then it happened, 'pop' ZERO OUTPUT from the amp! :(

I checked the radio - 5W as it should be!

I contacted LDG who suggested who referred me to the user manual about not leaving the amp in circuit while tuning - derrrr!

A few days later, sitting with a dead amp, I decided to setup the FT-817ND along with the LDG-817H, as I had done initially - but this time I put the SWR Meter in the Antenna Line!

Well, I could not even get below a 4:1 match.

That probably explains why my THP died - Power Mosfets apparently do not like switched high/low SWR sequences - that according to an expert on Solid State Amplifier Repairs...

Initial Diagnosis: The LDG Tuner was perhaps faulty or does not have a broad enough tuning range - or (as I later discovered) THP amps do not like long tuning cycles with weird high/low relay sequencing?

My Solution: I returned it with the above explanation and purchased 'another manufacturers product' - on the basis that the LDG was definitely a wrong choice for me, even barefoot, it just took too long to match any antenna!

My new tuner: What a difference! 'Lightning fast tuning' on every band (and it remembers the frequency) a very different experience.

I can't wait for my THP finals to arrive from Japan so that I can set up the original system again, remembering this time the lessons I have learned - eh, that's what life's about right?

Note: LDG is a reputable manufacturer of tuners and accessories and I think I just had a bad experience and (possibly) a faulty unit. This post is to educate others as to one ham's experience with a new product. I'm sure I could have returned it to LDG and received a replacement or a repaired unit (if that were the case) under their excellent warranty. I was given this option by the dealer!

I chose not to follow this route, given that the radio and the amplifier combination and their respective MOSFET 'finals' would be too costly and inconvenient should the same thing reoccur!

VE3EGA Rating: 2/5 Oct 17, 2011 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Be Careful!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

The tuning cycles took a few seconds as the tuner switched mode, relays clattered, tuned and eventually restored my radio to SSB. The indication from the radio and the tuner was a good match!

I figured this was normal (although it seemed to take forever) so hooked up the HL-45B. The power LEDS were not fully lit, so I re-tuned for 45W output - again a full tuning cycle occurred!

I had a couple of QSO's and then switched the radio/amp off.

A few days later I decided to switch it back on - this time on 20m. I put my SWR Meter in line to monitor the tuning cycle..

The tuner went through its 'dog and pony show' but I was somewhat concerned that it was taking longer than it perhaps should to tune and I didn't like the repeated 'High SWR Warnings on the radio and the meter as the tuning cycle commenced. (note: 20m is a snip with this antenna on all my other tuners)

I checked the radio - 5W as it should be!

I contacted LDG who suggested it was "poor SWR protection" on the HL-45B and that their lab had never had any issues - course not!

Well, I could not even get below a 4:1 match.

Diagnosis: The LDG Tuner was either faulty or does not have a broad enough tuning range - or the THP amp does not like long tuning cycles with weird high/low sequencing?

Solution: I returned it with the above explanation and purchased another manufacturers product - on the basis that the LDG was definitely a wrong choice for me!

I can't wait for my THP finals to arrive from Japan so that I can set up the system again and perhaps update this review!

Note: LDG is a reputable manufacturer of tuners and accessories and I think I just had a bad experience and possibly a faulty unit. This post is to educate others as to one ham's experience with a new product. I'm sure I could have returned it to LDG and received a replacement or a repaired unit under the excellent warranty. I was given this option by the dealer!