Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | DU 1500 Help

Reviews Summary for DU 1500
DU 1500 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $ABT 400 Euro's
Description: Strong well build T-tuner
More info: http://ha8du.ham.hu/index[2].eng.html

You can write your own review of the DU 1500.

PA1ZP Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Simple strong HQ  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi All

I found this tuner for a friend of mine, he bought it to replace the several Mighty Fine Junk ( MFJ 945 and 941E) tuners he blew up every few month.
He used these on an open wire fed homebrew vertical with only 100 watts PEP from a FT857D.

The diodes in the pwr meters blew, he fried the capacitors several times , but I managed to keep the MFJ941 running and canibalising the 945 to adopt parts for the 941E

I managed to repair these MFJ's every time, but my friend got very sick of these badly constructed and fitted with the worst toy components you can think of.

Then one day a year ago I stumbeld up on the DU 800, DU 1500 T, DU 1500 L, DU3000 tuner build by HA8DU on a hammeeting and hammarket.
I was surprised by the very solid tuner and the high quality parts and capacitors and coils and switches and BLUN in this tuner.

These tuners are beatifully build and well put together with nice craftmanship and the best available parts.

If you look on HA8DU website at these tuners and you look at the size and Quality of the ceramic insulted capacitors and the ceramic swithes the coils and BALUNS, you will see that though these tuners lack all noncence s in lights, LED's or other gadgets, that these are very high quality tuners wich are build with best vailable components.

Nice big knobs make tuning very smooth and simple.
Nice scales on the C-s from 0-100 to refind settings time after time in a moment.

Is there nothing to complain.
Of course, not every thing is perfect and I would like to see that the tapped inductor of the DU 1500 has more steps on it.
Some times it is not possible to find a true 1 : 1 SWR on each band and frequency because steps between the taps on the coil are bit to great.
More steps on the tapped inductor would salve that problem.

Further nothing to complain, it is not a cheap tuner but all the DU tuners have very solid and high quality components.
These tuners lack all whistles and bells and have the quality where it belongs , in the very high quality capacitors and switches and inductors.
There quality is used where it matters and the money is not wasted on bells and whistles.

The ceramic Capacitors tune very smooth and the ceramic switches are of finest quality.
Nice big knobs for big hands.

These tuners will serve you for a very long time.
My friend gave it ot me after more then a year of use and said "please look at it"
I said why, he said "I think it is broken " I already have it for over one year.
We examend it and it was still working as new nothing was wrong.
My friend was not used to the idea that he could use a tuner for well over a year without blowing and frieing parts as he did with the MFJ's all the time.