Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Maple Leaf Studios End Fed Easy-Tenna 160-6 meters Help

Reviews Summary for Maple Leaf Studios End Fed Easy-Tenna 160-6 meters
Maple Leaf Studios End Fed Easy-Tenna 160-6 meters Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $41.99 for the antenna alone, 61.
Description: Commercially available Multi-Band End Fed Antenna that covers 160-6 meters. Hand assembled in the US by Bruce Beckett, NU0R. The antenna consists of a 53' wire and a specially designed matching device that the wire, as well as the coax connects to. The matching device (resembles a balun) has a connector for a ground or ground radials, however they are optional (not required). Bruce sells an array of wire antennas on Ebay under the seller name mapleleafstudios. He can also be reached at his email address in QRZ, hamnfool@yahoo.com

You can write your own review of the Maple Leaf Studios End Fed Easy-Tenna 160-6 meters.

AF5DN Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 06:57 Send this review to a friend
My bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Update to my previous post. I replaced the MFJ manual tuner with an LDG auto tuner and 160 tuned up just fine.

So… for me it tunes up on ALL HF frequencies. Great!

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for a year. UNUN is mounted 10 feet up on the side if my house. The wire slopes up to about 35 feet. I've logged 60 countries and 25 states. My best catches were Kuwait and Namibia. May not be a world beater but it just keeps working. Logged St. Lucia last night. I use a Palstar AT2KD tuner and I can get a match from 10-160. Usually in the 1.5:1 range. For the money and performance it can't be beat.

AK4LP Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2013 12:29 Send this review to a friend
It works better than advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 98' version of this antenna off ebay along with a line isolator. I have it mounted on a slope from my deck to a tree, from about 10' to about 30' high. Took me maybe 2 hours to install it, no ground or radials needed. I am able to tune every band from 160 to 6 with my TS-480 SAT's internal tuner, down to a low SWR on all bands. I can make contacts all day long with this antenna, on any band that I like! In addition, this is a well made antenna. For about $100 I have an antenna that does everything that I ask of it. Plus it is hard to see from 50 feet away, so it is stealthy. Highly recommended!

N4PTC Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2013 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Using as an inverted V  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 120ft. end fed 160-6m antenna. So far it has been a great addition to my setup. I wanted to get on 160m as winter approaches, so I opted for this antenna. I built a 135ft inverted L myself and tried it. It worked fine but I did want something a little more time tested. The antenna is well made and contains solid materials. I added a 135ft counterpoise to help out on the low bands even though it is not required with this antenna. I have nothing but good things to report. Very reasonably priced.

N2WUX Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 16:12 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this 72 foot version of the antenna on E-BAY for $45 and finished installing it about 4 months ago.It runs north/south from one end of my roof to another with the feed at the north end and is configured in an inverted V fashion with the ends about 6 feet above the roof and the center at about 12 feet.You are supposed to use at least 50 feet of coax(I used 56 feet ).I wondered how it would get out since an antenna supposedly works best over moist earth but it seem to perform great from 40 meters to 10 on my roof.(i haven't tested it on 6 meters yet since I'm using a low pass filter.)It seems to get out equally well north/south as with east/west.I've had many QSO's to Florida as well as Canada and some to Europe as well !It goes to show you that these simple inexpensive antennas can perform almost as good as the more expensive complex ones !! C. LOHR JR.-N2WUX

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2012 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Performance Top to Bottom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a quick update. Again, this is for the 120 foot QSO-King antenna by Maple Leaf Studios.

Since my initial review, I have had a chance to operate the antenna and get an idea of how it performs. In short, I am extremely pleased. Let me start at the bottom - 160 meters. I was a little skeptical of how this end fed would perform on 160. I pressed the tune button on the LDG-Z100 Plus and got a good SWR, so I gave it a try. Oddly enough I had the W4AX internet SDR radio up on the spare laptop when I sent out a CQ. The signal (JT65) showed up bright and clear in Atlanta GA from my 15 watts in West Texas! Made several contacts in really lousy band conditions ranging from 400-1300 miles. Not world-beater, but very acceptable for me.

After making numerous contacts on all the other bands (up through 12 meters), I can say that in my installation, the antenna works as advertised. My only problems on 10 and 6 relate to the lower tuning range on the LDG-Z100 Plus.

I am very happy with this antenna and would recommend it to anyone needing what it offers. A great product at a fair price from a great ham. Who could ask for more?

W5LD Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2012 07:32 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RESULTS!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently moved from a 2 acre home site to a home on a small city lot. Not having room for my tower and beam nor my wire antennas I began looking for a compromise antenna. I saw the reviews for this antenna and decided "what the heck" and purchased one. I mounted it on my rv for testing and am simply AMAZED!!! with it. Have in in a sloper configuration with the feed point about 6' off the ground on my rv ladder and it is grounded to the frame of my rv. I work 75 meters with fantastic results. Have worked dx on cw on other bands and get great sig rpts with it. If your looking for a antenna and don't have a lot of room I think this antenna will do the job for you.

N7DRM Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2012 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Have had Very Positive Results with This Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just want to echo the other summaries on this Fine Business Antenna. I'm on a small city lot -- and I've been using the End Fed Easy-Tenna Since March 25, 2011 -- I mainly use it with my Yaesu FT 101 F (100 Watts) and my MFJ 945 Versa Tuner II. The Antenna Tunes up quickly on Every Band. I've made over 300 contacts, and have logged over 22 Countries with this Antenna, some using only 5 Watts with my MFJ 9420 QRP Rig! (I usually can only operate 1 day a week due to my work Schedule) Bruce gives excellent customer service and is very quick on any questions you may have.

KB1YLL Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2012 20:26 Send this review to a friend
ZS6BKW MULTIBAND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spotted this antenna on Ebay (The ZS6BKW MULTI-BAND ANTENNA). From 6 meters through 80 meters. I have rarely ever had such great customer service, answering my numerous questions, and the antenna does ALL that MapleLeaf says it will do. Here was the Ebay ad.
"Up for auction is a ZS6BKW multi-band antenna.
This antenna is 90 ft. in length. The 300 ohm matching section is 36 ft. long. It can be used on any band from 80 through 6 meters, including the W.A.R.C. bands of 12, 17, and 30 meters. It will also work on 60 meters.

The real beauty of this design is that an external antenna tuner is often not needed to tune your radio on 40, 20, 17, 12, or 10 meters. The S.W.R. is low enough that in many cases the built in auto-tuner in your modern radio will tune the antenna. On many frequencies the SWR is below 1.5 to 1 prior to tuning". I tell you folks, the antenna is as good as the service and I have made contacts on every band on my icom pro746 with great results. I do not need an external antenna tuner on any of the bands as the pro 46 internal tuner handles it all with 1.1 max swr. I have it hung in a clearing between two trees 18 feet off of the ground. You would not even know I have an antenna. Great Job MapleLeaf. This is a keeper for me. Excellent quality.

KB3FTE Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2012 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Quite pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will start by saying that my HF antenna experience has been limited to an IMAX 2000 vertical and a G5RV/2, and so my evaluation is only based upon a comparison to these.

My purchase of the Easy-Tenna (53ft length)(and line isolator plus 50ft of coax) was originally to have an antenna for portable use. When first receiving I put it up at home (flat top at about 22 ft) along with my G5RV/2 (flat top at about 30 ft) so that I could compare performance. I use my LDG Z-11 Pro II tuner for all bands and initially found the following:
6m - had trouble holding a tune, nothing heard to contact
10m - not as weak as the G5RV/2, but the IMAX 2000 did much better than both.
12m - 40m - Good reports and about 2 S units better than the G5RV/2 on receive
80m - Good reports, much better than the G5RV/2, but would not hold the tune.
160m - Tuned fine and able to hear quite well whereas the G5RV/2 did not hear anything. I have not attempted to make a contact as yet on 160m.

After adding an air choke of about 15 ft of a 20 ft coax in the shack after the 50 ft coax and about 5 ft ahead of the line isolator, then 80m tuned fine, held the tune and still received good reports. The reason for the air choke being added in the shack rather than up by the matching unit was so as not to interfere with the coax acting as the counterpoise (not sure if that makes sense, but it does seem to work.)

All in all, noticeably better on all bands and more bands than the G5RV/2. Not as good as the IMAX 2000 on 10m, but still able to make contacts. In light of this I moved the Easy-Tenna up to the 30 ft position and took down the G5RV/2 for portable use.

The product seems well made and Bruce (NU0R) was very responsive to questions before and after the purchase.