Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Maple Leaf Studios End Fed Easy-Tenna 160-6 meters Help

Reviews Summary for Maple Leaf Studios End Fed Easy-Tenna 160-6 meters
Maple Leaf Studios End Fed Easy-Tenna 160-6 meters Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $41.99 for the antenna alone, 61.
Description: Commercially available Multi-Band End Fed Antenna that covers 160-6 meters. Hand assembled in the US by Bruce Beckett, NU0R. The antenna consists of a 53' wire and a specially designed matching device that the wire, as well as the coax connects to. The matching device (resembles a balun) has a connector for a ground or ground radials, however they are optional (not required). Bruce sells an array of wire antennas on Ebay under the seller name mapleleafstudios. He can also be reached at his email address in QRZ,

You can write your own review of the Maple Leaf Studios End Fed Easy-Tenna 160-6 meters.

KB1YLL Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2012 20:26 Send this review to a friend
ZS6BKW MULTIBAND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spotted this antenna on Ebay (The ZS6BKW MULTI-BAND ANTENNA). From 6 meters through 80 meters. I have rarely ever had such great customer service, answering my numerous questions, and the antenna does ALL that MapleLeaf says it will do. Here was the Ebay ad.
"Up for auction is a ZS6BKW multi-band antenna.
This antenna is 90 ft. in length. The 300 ohm matching section is 36 ft. long. It can be used on any band from 80 through 6 meters, including the W.A.R.C. bands of 12, 17, and 30 meters. It will also work on 60 meters.

The real beauty of this design is that an external antenna tuner is often not needed to tune your radio on 40, 20, 17, 12, or 10 meters. The S.W.R. is low enough that in many cases the built in auto-tuner in your modern radio will tune the antenna. On many frequencies the SWR is below 1.5 to 1 prior to tuning". I tell you folks, the antenna is as good as the service and I have made contacts on every band on my icom pro746 with great results. I do not need an external antenna tuner on any of the bands as the pro 46 internal tuner handles it all with 1.1 max swr. I have it hung in a clearing between two trees 18 feet off of the ground. You would not even know I have an antenna. Great Job MapleLeaf. This is a keeper for me. Excellent quality.

KB3FTE Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2012 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Quite pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will start by saying that my HF antenna experience has been limited to an IMAX 2000 vertical and a G5RV/2, and so my evaluation is only based upon a comparison to these.

My purchase of the Easy-Tenna (53ft length)(and line isolator plus 50ft of coax) was originally to have an antenna for portable use. When first receiving I put it up at home (flat top at about 22 ft) along with my G5RV/2 (flat top at about 30 ft) so that I could compare performance. I use my LDG Z-11 Pro II tuner for all bands and initially found the following:
6m - had trouble holding a tune, nothing heard to contact
10m - not as weak as the G5RV/2, but the IMAX 2000 did much better than both.
12m - 40m - Good reports and about 2 S units better than the G5RV/2 on receive
80m - Good reports, much better than the G5RV/2, but would not hold the tune.
160m - Tuned fine and able to hear quite well whereas the G5RV/2 did not hear anything. I have not attempted to make a contact as yet on 160m.

After adding an air choke of about 15 ft of a 20 ft coax in the shack after the 50 ft coax and about 5 ft ahead of the line isolator, then 80m tuned fine, held the tune and still received good reports. The reason for the air choke being added in the shack rather than up by the matching unit was so as not to interfere with the coax acting as the counterpoise (not sure if that makes sense, but it does seem to work.)

All in all, noticeably better on all bands and more bands than the G5RV/2. Not as good as the IMAX 2000 on 10m, but still able to make contacts. In light of this I moved the Easy-Tenna up to the 30 ft position and took down the G5RV/2 for portable use.

The product seems well made and Bruce (NU0R) was very responsive to questions before and after the purchase.
VK5STU Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2012 04:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna a few months ago and gave it a basic try and found no issues, then I put it away for a while for some reason. Recently I put it up as my primary antenna for the VK Rememberance Day Contest and could not believe how well it functioned. 10-160M with my internal tunner on my 1000MP without a problem. Solid copies on all bands and managed a few DX contacts into Europe on 20M.

I have the feed point at about 7m (about 20 feet) and the far in in a tree about 15m (~45ft). Not ideal but no other choice at my QTH. I decided to install an optional counterpoise as I had RFI in the shack with other wire antennas due to the orientation. No issues with this setup.

Ordering, communication and delivery all top notch and very friendly.

KK2DOG Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2012 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Good !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the 120' QSO-King and it works very well. I originally bought it so that I could get on 60 & 80 meters, but now it's my primary all-band PSK-31 antenna. An Icom IC-706MKIIG, an auto-tuner, and the doesn't get any simpler.
N4SAX Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2012 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Solution for Space Constrained Hams!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have to "ditto" the other reviews. I am presently purely QRP with my IC-703...I asked Bruce to sell me one with a 72' length. The feed end is hanging off my deck cover (6 feet up) and the distant end is up in a pine tree maybe 50 feet high. My IC-703 tuner can tune it up on 9 bands. Had a blast last weekend "band hopping"...even worked Hawaii SSB on 10 meters! Worked Spain SSB on 20 and had a 30 minute ragchew with a ham in Albuquerque on 17 meters. I am totally satisfied with this antenna!
KD8DVR Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2012 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just ordered and received one. Works great. I didn't need the tuner inline from 10-17. After that it loaded up fine with a 1.5 or less match everywhere else. I ordered mine with the 50' coax, and installed it in about 15 minutes. It will be my permanent installation.

It gets my signal out, as folks on the "Nightwatch Net" hear me fine.

Good price, fast shipping, easy to install, works great. Definitely a 5 across the board..

K6SPY Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2012 17:48 Send this review to a friend
K6SPY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tried several other wire antennas on my small city lot with very poor success. The Easy-Tenna works great! Mounted at 35 feet on a push up pole at the feed point, then up about 65 ft. into a maple tree. SWR 1.5 or less on most bands. This would be a great antenna to use mountain-topping. Also I was very impressed with the quick communication and shipping by the seller.
KC0YNP Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed an simple antenna that would fit in my back yard on a small city lot, and this antenna fit the bill. It's well made, and with my Palstar tuner,it tunes up on most of the bands 160-10. The length of coax it's fed with determines how well it tunes up. Bruce recommends a minimum of 33 feet. I never bothered to find the right length on 80 meters since I don't use 80, but it tunes the rest. On my favorite band, 17 meters, it does fine even though it's only about 24 feet high at its peak sloping to 15 feet. I wish I could try it at 40 feet.

Bruce gives excellent customer service.

I am never in the shack during the best times for chasing DX, but of an evening, I am having QSO's on both coasts and getting into Central America well also...better than ever. It's worth your consideration, especially if space is limited.
K3LUE Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2012 06:08 Send this review to a friend
This is a great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for this exact antenna for use in the winter home. Needed something stealthy, small, and effective...a big order. Found lots a great antennas but they were usually monoband and recommended for use without tuners. After much research I landed on Bruce's products available on eBay.This antenna was advertised to work on all the bands I wanted. Sent some email for questions and Bruce was more than helpful. He actually customized the order, helping me choose the 44' version, added more coax than the one he had for sale and even supplied the insulators. He kept me informed at every step...offered his cell number as well. Class A construction and made in the USA.
Easy to install, no cutting, trimming etc..just hung it and ran the coax. Fired it up with an Icom 718/MFJ VersaTuner II. Found very little needed to be adjusted on the tuner. It works from 10 to 40 meters with an swr of 1.3:1 or less. Worked dx right out of the box...rtty/bpsk/cw. Haven't been on 40 since the 60s and worked a whole handful of Europeans last night.
I would recommend this antenna for anyone. It's practically invisible, lightweight, fits in limited space and most importantly, it works.
Thanks Bruce for a great product and an equally great buying experience on my end.
KN4X Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2011 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Results from an End Fed Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, I had certain limitations (physical disability and esthetic concerns) that drove me to consider a multi-band End Fed wire antenna. I emailed Bruce at least 5 or 6 times asking questions, and he always responded within hours, sometimes minutes. After discussing my needs with Bruce via email, I chose to give the antenna a try. The antenna arrived in excellent condition in 3 days via USPS priority mail. The antenna quality is second to none. I was able to mount it at about a 45 degree angle from 20' (rooftop) to about 50' (white oak). My radio is a Yaesu FT-450AT, and the internal tuner will only tune a 3:1 match. Amazingly, it tunes 90+% of the bands with the rigs tuner alone. I put it up in about an hour. The CQ WW phone contest was in full swing when I finished the installation. I worked Europe, Africa, South America, Asiatic Russia, Norway, Alaska, Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, and MANY more in just a few hours. I even broke thru a DXpedition pileup after about 5 calls. I am amazed at the quality, and most importantly the ease of installation and performance of such a compact antenna. Easily outdoes my old full size G5RV!