Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar HF-AUTO Help

* Load into a 10:1 SWR from 1.8 to 54 Mhz
* NO CI-V cables required
* Tunes on SSB
* Digital Display...no analog metering
* Remotable... up to 400'!
More info: http://www.palstar.com/hf-auto.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar HF-AUTO.

WO7I Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2017 23:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AUTO TUNER  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is simply a great HF Auto Tuner.
Good quality construction with good quality components. A joy to operate. Meets all of my operating requirements. If your thinking of buying one of these tuners I doubt that you will be disappointed.
The folks at Palstar have been very good to work with.
I am a very happy customer, WO7I

K9GS Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2017 12:56 Send this review to a friend
A Weatherized Remote Version should be next  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sure wish Palstar would come out with an outside weatherized version. It is mentioned in the owners manual but e-mails regarding this to Palstar have gone unanswered.

There is a real need for a reliable high-power remote tuner.

AE5GG Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2017 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Still a GREAT Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
On Jul 22, 2015 I wrote a rave review on this auto tuner. Well it's January of 2017 and I feel just as good about it now as I did then. I hop around on the HF bands frequently and this tuner is able to keep up with me very efficiently! Great job Palstar!

BTW: I also wrote that I purchased this tuner after waiting for Alpha to come out with their 4040 automatic tuner...well folks that promise continues to be a wait and see. According to their latest website listing it's still coming! For those of you that have been tracking it...it's been coming since at least November of 2014!

All I can say is that I am thrilled with the Alpha 9500. It's served me well over the years, but thank God that I didn't wait for the Alpha 4040!

N4EEB Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2016 13:54 Send this review to a friend
The Best Antenna Tuner I've Ever Owned  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the HF AUTO for 6 months. I use a non-resonant 110 ft. dipole up 40 ft. to cover 80-10 meters. I run 10 feet of LMR600 coax to a 1:1 balun, and 97 ft. of 300-ohm line to the dipole. All I have to do is give the HF Auto a few watts of power for a moment or two, and it presets itself pretty darn close. Another few watts for another few moments and I have under 1.5:1 SWR on all bands with 1.5KW output. To watch this thing work is truly amazing. Well built, easy to use, and darn sexy to look at if I do say myself. Not one hint of a problem since I turned it on. I am so pleased with my purchase.

NJ0F Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2016 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Great auto tuner.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not a big fan of using antenna tuners as I believe antennas should be resonant where you want to use them, however, there are times where a tuner is needed, so I decided to buy the HF-Auto. I did some tests yesterday and after putting the tuner through some challenging loads to tune, I was amazed how well this unit really works. Quality and workmanship looks great too. I am happy with my purchase.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 08:11 Send this review to a friend
2nd HF-AUTO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Brought a second HF-AUTO the first part of this year, namely because I need two tuners and lots of switching at this QTH for the antenna systems I have an the 3 output connectors is a real plus at this station, the new HF-AUTO has worked the same as the first HF-AUTO I brought in 2013 EXCELLENT, have 3 Plaster tuners
all have always worked the way a tuner should, never a problem, The new tuner is rated for 1800w the first one is rated for 1500w but have never put over 1200w in either one, very very happy with both HF-AUTO tuners, there first class tuners, in my book!..............kb6hrt

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2016 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Best Ever!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have MANY tuners, manual's and Auto tuners. This is the best hands down! You won't go wrong investing in one.

PY7DJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2016 07:45 Send this review to a friend
perfect tunning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i know a lot of manual tunners on the market .. from yaesu, mfj, kenwood and palstar .. and a lot of automatic tunners ... from LDG, icom, yaesu .. no one can be compared with PALSTAR HF-AUTO ..

This tunner is perfect, im done a complete tunning on all frequecy with short spaces and the tunner has memorize all tune points on memory .. now im jump to any band or freq and the tuner come together with only one single tone to read a frequency ...

no cable from radio is needed and i like that!!

Its a dream

N6UG Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2016 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using my HF-AUTO for less than a week and here is my initial impression.

It will tune my Doublet antenna across all bands. My previous tuner could not tune very low impedance points, 6 ohms!

It's easy to tune. Once it stores a tune setting for a freq. all it takes is a split second touch of my radio tune button. The tuner makes the correct adjustments in a few seconds.

So far, this was definitely a good buy for me.

Buying direct from Palstar was great! Very friendly, easy and fast!

NM6E Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2016 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Seamless Integration! Hands Off Auto-Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I acquired the Palstar HF-AUTO in late October 2015 in anticipation of my new, higher power amp, the SPE Expert-2K-FA. Prior to the Palstar HF-AUTO I was using an Elecraft KAT-500 with my ACOM 1011 600 watt amp. The KAT500 worked fine but I need a bit robustness with the added power (typically was running 500-600 watts with the ACOM/KAT500 combo.

Setup was relatively easy and I did the "band segment learning" in manual mode to assist it when jumping bands for a a perceived 'faster tuning'..

My antenna situation is stagnant compliments of my HOA.. I have a Zero-Five 30' Flag Pole for 80-6m. The HF-AUTO tunes all bands I have with my "flag pole" without ease. Tuning can take 1-4 seconds depending on whether I am jumping from 6m to 80m which is not typical.. I contest more so my band changes are more sequential (15 to 20, to 40 to 80 etc) so the adjustments are incremental and the time required to retune is 1-2 seconds. Again, my antenna is the key "dampener/issue" in finding that sweet spot but i did program memories to facilitate the entire process.

The tuner works great and I am happy I got it and compared to the KAT500, it is much quieter/smoother and no clacking sounds... The motors are much easier to listen to.

My setup works great as I wanted as much of an automated/seamless station knowing my stealth antenna will not change unless we move which is not in the future.

I've never done a CPU upgrade so I think I am 1 rev back...

The only button I need to press is to is turn it on and that's it. I drive the Expert 2K-FA amp with a Yaesu FTDX5000 and that is permanently set to 50w drive to the amp (controlled via the ALC to the amp).. So a simple dah or two of the CW paddle gets it tuned on frequency.

I am planning on installing a stealth Butternut vertical for 160/80/40 for the coming winter in the back yard to help more with the 160/80 bands in conjunction with the HF-AUTO to extend my BW.

Overall I love the HF-AUTO, it's "built like a tank" no issues, quality is fantastic and I normally run either 500 to 1KW and very few times at 1.5KW as there's no need between 1KW and the added possible RFI nuisance.

I power it up with a left over Astron 20 amp switching power supply which is an overkill..

Would I buy it again, yes, given my antenna options but if I was able to use tunable antennas for my primary bands, I would use the built-in tuner in the SPE Expert 2K-FA amp.