Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar HF-AUTO Help

* Load into a 10:1 SWR from 1.8 to 54 Mhz
* NO CI-V cables required
* Tunes on SSB
* Digital Display...no analog metering
* Remotable... up to 400'!
More info: http://www.palstar.com/hf-auto.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar HF-AUTO.

N6UG Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2016 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using my HF-AUTO for less than a week and here is my initial impression.

It will tune my Doublet antenna across all bands. My previous tuner could not tune very low impedance points, 6 ohms!

It's easy to tune. Once it stores a tune setting for a freq. all it takes is a split second touch of my radio tune button. The tuner makes the correct adjustments in a few seconds.

So far, this was definitely a good buy for me.

Buying direct from Palstar was great! Very friendly, easy and fast!

NM6E Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2016 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Seamless Integration! Hands Off Auto-Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I acquired the Palstar HF-AUTO in late October 2015 in anticipation of my new, higher power amp, the SPE Expert-2K-FA. Prior to the Palstar HF-AUTO I was using an Elecraft KAT-500 with my ACOM 1011 600 watt amp. The KAT500 worked fine but I need a bit robustness with the added power (typically was running 500-600 watts with the ACOM/KAT500 combo.

Setup was relatively easy and I did the "band segment learning" in manual mode to assist it when jumping bands for a a perceived 'faster tuning'..

My antenna situation is stagnant compliments of my HOA.. I have a Zero-Five 30' Flag Pole for 80-6m. The HF-AUTO tunes all bands I have with my "flag pole" without ease. Tuning can take 1-4 seconds depending on whether I am jumping from 6m to 80m which is not typical.. I contest more so my band changes are more sequential (15 to 20, to 40 to 80 etc) so the adjustments are incremental and the time required to retune is 1-2 seconds. Again, my antenna is the key "dampener/issue" in finding that sweet spot but i did program memories to facilitate the entire process.

The tuner works great and I am happy I got it and compared to the KAT500, it is much quieter/smoother and no clacking sounds... The motors are much easier to listen to.

My setup works great as I wanted as much of an automated/seamless station knowing my stealth antenna will not change unless we move which is not in the future.

I've never done a CPU upgrade so I think I am 1 rev back...

The only button I need to press is to is turn it on and that's it. I drive the Expert 2K-FA amp with a Yaesu FTDX5000 and that is permanently set to 50w drive to the amp (controlled via the ALC to the amp).. So a simple dah or two of the CW paddle gets it tuned on frequency.

I am planning on installing a stealth Butternut vertical for 160/80/40 for the coming winter in the back yard to help more with the 160/80 bands in conjunction with the HF-AUTO to extend my BW.

Overall I love the HF-AUTO, it's "built like a tank" no issues, quality is fantastic and I normally run either 500 to 1KW and very few times at 1.5KW as there's no need between 1KW and the added possible RFI nuisance.

I power it up with a left over Astron 20 amp switching power supply which is an overkill..

Would I buy it again, yes, given my antenna options but if I was able to use tunable antennas for my primary bands, I would use the built-in tuner in the SPE Expert 2K-FA amp.

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2016 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Item!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My station consists of: Icom IC-7100, Palstar HF-AUTO, 132 ft long, 300 ohm fed doublet at 42 ft agl via a Balun Designs item to the ATU. (& various ancillaries).

I also own a Palstar AT-1KP (slightly modified - see my review) which was replaced by the HF-AUTO a few months ago. The HF-AUTO was quite simple to set-up at start-up and runs without any problems. I have matched it on all bands from 160 to 6 metres at various points within the bands to both check it's functions and memory 'bins'. Construction is solid and the sound of stepper motors is a bit strange at first! The ability to change bands/frequencies quickly is a revelation - I've always used a manual ATU (except when /P or /M).
I have yet to upgrade the unit to the very latest firmware - so I cannot comment on either the procedure or results. However I would think that a USB interface rather than the RS-232 could be a standard for amateur radio accessories these days! (Palstar - take note!!). The 3-pin Foster plug for power is a bit odd; and the manual could have a better picture of the power plug connections; i.e. a real picture of the wiring!
So far; no problems! I was quite happy with the Palstar AT-1KP (see my review re the only problem) and hope that the underwhelming use I am putting the HF Auto thorough will not reveal any problems.
The only downside is that I still have to provide a low power constant carrier to initiate auto-tune! But this only takes a few seconds! Some sort of interface to modern rigs to allow use of the rig's tune button/frequency & band follow; etc. would be a positive step. (Listening Palstar!).
If I come across any issues I will either review this review (?) or post a newer one.
Richard G8ITB.

VE3VV Rating: 3/5 Jun 4, 2016 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Not indestructable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does what its supposed to do but not Indestructible
After using it successfully on 20,40 & 80 in a cw contest I switched to 1.8 mhz on an antenna I normally use the AT5K in bypass as the swr is low enough> It fried a board almost immediately, I believe I was using the appropriate 15 watts power and the HF Auto read swr =1.7.
Fast repair & shipping, Parts not covered, shipping not covered, no insurance on return box.
Would be nice if a series of dits would cause it to Tune

WA0HHX Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2016 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent results  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Gave up on the Alpha 4040. After reading about this tuner and then the almost universally good reviews I purchased it direct from PalStar. I have had it in line for a couple of months. I endorse all the other 5/5 reviews that you read here. It was very easy to set up and provides a very quick and accurate match. I use it with a 5 band 4 element quad. Produces quick matches and almost instant tuning. The watts and frequency readout are quite close (but do not always 100% match the readings on my watt meters and/or vfo readout on my TS-990). Even so they are within 50-100 watts on the kw+ high end and a few kc on frequency. But that's not what I bought it for. Difficult to imagine that you could find a better auto tuner at the price (or any price!). I wonder if maybe Alpha figured that out as well and I have several alpha amps and the new alpha wattmeter. All great products. No disgrace in being beaten to the punch on the tuner and recognizing it. Highly recommended.

WA5WA Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2016 17:31 Send this review to a friend
The Best Auto Ant. Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I just bought the 2nd Palstar HF-tuner for my Kenwood radio, it Fast (less than 4 seconds to tune for the most bands), nice design and has a watt meter. Highly recommend to have this Auto tuner.

K0WA Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2016 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the unit for less than a week, but I have been operating quite a bit. I am very impressed with the unit. Fits well into the shack and works very well. Was able to match all my antennas including my so-called Inverted-L which is more of a sagging Inverted-L. The unit is very quiet and I was expecting more "tuning" noise from the stepper motors. Setup easy. Right out of the box with no changes and it started to work like advertised. I am replacing a AT2K tuner which replaced a CV1500. I have had Palstar tuners for a long time. The unit is not cheap, but it does what is advertised and so far it seems to do it well. It is a big box and more long that it is wide. It is easy to learn and has all the features one would want in a tuner. The HF-Auto does require a 12 volts supply that can handle about 5 amps when tuning. I have used the tuner with my AL-82 at 1200 watts output and had no issues at all. Tuning time is acceptable, a lot faster than what I could do manually. I purchase the unit direct from Palstar after calling them with a question. They discounted the price to me and I then made the purchase. Shipping was quick. Very good service, So, far it is a keeper. I will check back later after using it for several months.

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2016 08:00 Send this review to a friend
JUST THE BEST!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just upgraded from the 1500CV and WOW what an addition to the station, can not fault the unit in any way, it does EXACTLY as their blurb says. I tunes my 211ft LW on 160 80 & 40 and " cleans" up the Steppir 32ft vertical and 3 ele Yagi at 60ft. One observation (not a criticism!) the handbook does not seem to sufficiently describe the memory storage and recall, might be me! I have tried the Yahoo site on this unit but ahem "certain ladies adverts " come up and far to long in the tooth to be of any use to me!If anyone cares to send me a "dummies" guide or direct to a suitable write up I would appreciate it.

NY1H Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Best Tuner I ever had  Time owned: more than 12 months
After speaking to Dave N2IRO I thought it was time to go with this legal limit Auto tuner with remote. I have it mounted in a NEMA 4 cabinet outside under my deck at the base of my tower. It has worked in temps ranging from -20 to 100+ degrees F with no issues. It has tuned several different dipoles of my own design and a few commercial dipoles at legal limit without any issues. I honestly believe it will tune a wet string. Like all Palstar tuners it is built like a tank. I have owned a TenTec 238b, Drake,MFJ 998c [POS] and many others, and nothing comes close to this battle ship. Great Job PALSTAR

KB3SI Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I decided to move up to an auto tuner from my TenTec 238B, I went with the HF Auto. All of the reviews on eHam that I read turned out to be accurate. This tuner finds the correct match and does so very quickly. Very well built. I am very happy with the HF Auto.