Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar HF-AUTO Help

* Load into a 10:1 SWR from 1.8 to 54 Mhz
* NO CI-V cables required
* Tunes on SSB
* Digital Display...no analog metering
* Remotable... up to 400'!
More info: http://www.palstar.com/hf-auto.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar HF-AUTO.

VE3TCV Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2016 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable piece of machinery!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It took me a while to ponder and think about this purchase as my old Palstar AT2K tuner was working very well. The downside of manual tuning is that you need to mark or document tuner settings for each band, sometimes multiple settings for each band. Getting your settings wrong could damage your radio or amplifier and after spending money on a solid state amplifier I really did not want to risk damaging it. With this tuner I simply go to a frequency, key up my radio with a 10w CW SSB carrier until the Palstar tunes which usually takes less than 4 seconds. After tuning is complete I press "Operate" on my amplifier and off I go, it couldn't simpler and safer. The tuner has a very wide tuning range, most relay auto tuners can only match up to a 3:1, this Palstar can tune just about anything I throw at it, it can even tune my 6M-20M beam for 160M!!

This tuner is not cheap by any means, but knowing that is the last tuner I will ever need makes it a wise investment.

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2016 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally bit the bullet and granduated from my older Palstar AT-1500DT tuner. It was a great tuner and my backup now in the closet. Bought a used Palstar HF-Auto and wow! what an outstanding tuner. My only question is, "Why did I wait so long?" Manual tuning is a thing of the past now for me. Paul outdid himself on this fantantic tuner. The office help under Eve is the best also. It was a breeze to upgrade the firware also. My only advise is, if your hesitating go for it, you won't be sorry.

W2PP Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2015 12:04 Send this review to a friend
I use HF auto R and HF Auto  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the HF auto AND the HFautoR. I have the remote head here on the ham table and the tuner 380 feet away at the antenna tower. I must say its a fantastic tuner. I cannot add to the superlatives already out there. I'll just say the remote ability of this is BEYOND awesome. It will work out to 500 feet away and as I said I have mine at 380 feet. Its like it was right on the table. Just just just fantastic. I will NEVER sell this piece of equipment. Fast, accurate and reliable.

WB5JHY Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Quiet, reliable auto tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I too have been on the waiting list for the Alpha 4040 for three years. Not really in dire need of a tuner but I feel safer operating the ocf dipole and double bazooka on the edges of some bands. The Palstar auto tuner works very well although a lot slower than the tuners built into the Alpha 9500 or Acom 2000A. I only have to remember to switch the amp to standby, and hit the tune button on the rig to set the tuner to the memorized band segment. The 9500 tunes to the pre-recorded band segment at the same instant even in standby. Flip the amp back to operate and it's ready. On the Acom 2000A the amp tunes to the band segment as you change bands or frequency so it's ready when you switch back to operate also. Either case it's very fast to jump bands or band segments, get on frequency and operate. It's comforting to know the amp is seeing l.15 or less swr even at the band edges for any of my antennas. I really don't see the need for the Alpha 4040 at this point.

AE5GG Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2015 14:56 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the Alpha 9500 amp and am waiting on the Alpha 2000 dummy load (2-3 month wait) so you can see that I am a HUGE Alpha fan. But I waited and waited and waited for the Alpha 4040 automatic tuner which they have, and still are, promising and promising will come out (as of 7/22/15 the RKR LLC Designs web page cites that the 4040 is coming...sadly the link takes you to a November 2014 announcement!). Baloney! This has been promised for years...enough is enough...I stumbled on the the Palstar HF-Auto on the AES website and it blew my mind!

For about $1,600 it's roughly half the estimated price of the "it's coming soon" Alpha 4040 AND it includes 6m! The "it's coming soon!" Alpha 4040 is purportedly able to handle 4kw, but realistically, who's pushing that? The Palstar HF-Auto is advertised to run up to 1,800 watts but the set up has a 2,500 watt config option.

I received it recently. It's incredibly simple to set up. It memorizes the settings as soon as it achieves the lowest SWR...and if it's not low enough for you, you can manually tune it, then have the tuner memorize the settings and shazzam! Done deal!

It's a dream to operate! I even upgraded the internal software which was so easy I actually sat back and said to myself "was it really that easy?" But I powered it back up and the version was indeed updated!

Sorry Alpha 4040 - I was done waiting. I am thrilled with a real live product that I can finally use! I think it's a steal at $1,600 (and it's American made!)

Excellent Job!

BTW - the only downside is that they don't offer an AC adapter for power (even as an option). I had to run a long chord from my 12v power source to the amp because their chord is a bit short.

K1PMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2015 17:29 Send this review to a friend
First impression - great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a LDG PROII for 2 years which started to fail so I was looking for something better. Friend of mine recommended the HF Auto so I decided to go for it. Let's be honest, it's 3 times the price of the LDG so is it worth it? Only if you can afford it. That being said I really like the HF. It's big, it's heavy duty...Think F150 of auto tuners. Easy to configure and got it running in about 10 minutes (once out of the box). Everything about it screams quality. You will need a power supply that has 12V @ 5A to spare.

Like the fact that it supports 3 antennas. Also like that I get precise SWR and peak power readings. If can take up to 20 seconds the first time you let the tuner find the best SWR for your favorite frequencies. Subsequent tunes are faster but not as fast as with the LDG. Squeezing the last bit of SWR out of a auto tune by switching to manual is fun and easy.

For the moment I only have an amp putting out a max of 700 watts so not a challenge for this tuner but who knows what the future brings. To summarize: Great tuner. Buy if you have the desk space and spare cash.

AC4R Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2015 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Its a WINNER !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a great tuner. I retired the ATR-30 and the HF-Auto is the king of the shack. It does everything they say it will. Very will built, heavy duty construction. I would buy another in a heartbeat !

AC4R

KA1ILH Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2015 06:51 Send this review to a friend
A real auto tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Can't say enough good things about this auto tuner! It will be your best investment in the shack! The only limiting factor is time to tuner from 10M to 160M - abt 20 seconds. What do you expect with a real inductor and air cap? Works without any real problems. Had a LDG 1000pro2 but it had power limits this does not!

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2015 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my favorite tuner of all time. I have used it to tune on every band and it has performed without a hiccup. Never an issue. Thank you Palstar.

LA9AKA Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2015 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied!   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am extremely satisfied with this tuner. Easy to use, fast tuning and quality all the way.