Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar HF-AUTO Help

* Load into a 10:1 SWR from 1.8 to 54 Mhz
* NO CI-V cables required
* Tunes on SSB
* Digital Display...no analog metering
* Remotable... up to 400'!
More info: http://www.palstar.com/hf-auto.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar HF-AUTO.

W7AV Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2013 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You get what you pay for with this tuner. Easy to operate, change bands quickly, can handle 1.5 KW, and allows me to work 160m without having to retune every 5 KHz. I got tired of waiting for Alpha's auto-tuner and really this tuner does everything I need, like I don't need a Smith Chart. My only suggestion is a more in depth manual, something like I got with the Palstar AT-4K.

K6HR Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 23:48 Send this review to a friend
Finally a REAL tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now I can go anywhere, thanks to the HF-AUTO! I tried the so-called top of the line LDG tuner, and the MFJ auto tuners and they couldn't tune my Mosley TA33-JR WARC or my inverted V on every band. The Palstar HF-AUTO tunes everywhere! For the first time I can work all of 160 and 80m. Wow! The best SWR I've ever had. Typically 1.1 or better everywhere I tune! Worth every penny! I really like the built-in automatic antenna switch. The HF-AUTO is without a doubt the best tuner I've ever used. Also fast and quiet! I wish I could give it a 10

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well had this thing for several years now. Got it from Palstar direct when it first came out and it's been working very well. Went through all the firmware upgrades and never looked back. Had a problem with tuning on 80m where ferrite beads on the power cable solved it. It tunes 160-6m perfectly and tunes my verticals, dipoles, g5rv and hex antennas. It's built like a fine luxury automobile or a fine swiss watch. Expensive but worth every penny.

NA6D Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2013 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Expensive but worth it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the unit directly from Palstar. Set up was easy and handles tuning on all bands flawlessly. The construction is very good indeed. The AT-40 is built to last a very long time. As opposed to some other auto tuners, the unit is quiet while tuning. It is expensive to be sure, but in this case, you do get what you pay for. Very happy with purchase.

W6NFL Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2013 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Expensive and Worth It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive had Palstar products in the shack for many years now and all are of top notch quality/performance. The HF-Auto is really expensive but wow what a tuner! No loud clacking relays as its tuning and loads even my G5RV on all bands to a perfect match! Basically its a manual tuner inside but controlled by a CPU. It hooks up just like any tuner and is RF sensitive so no interface cables needed. Great addition to the shack.

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2013 01:56 Send this review to a friend
Never a Problem of any Kind  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First let me say this is my 4th Palstar tuner started with an AT1KP then a AT2K,AT4K everyone a flawless tuner.

Then last year I sold my FTDX-5000MP and VL-1000 amp and bought 2 Elecraft K3's 1 Elecraft KPA500 amp and a Alpha 87A amp. At the same time ordered the Alpha 4040 auto tuner due for future release (soon I hope) as the Palstar is only good for 1500w.

So I bought the HF-Auto till the 4040 was delivered and thought I would sell it then,, but that is not going to happen now. It will stay as a backup I also have the Elecraft KAT500 auto tuner it can fill in for either of those.

I have it setup in a SO2R fashion where it tunes 3 multi-band antennas and 2 wire antennas with the Alpha. It has worked great every time used and remembers the antennas well if you stay on one for very long and the steppir motors are very quiet.

KC2WTG Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 04:31 Send this review to a friend
great tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
had my hf auto for week now like to say real nice tuner i also have ldg and mfj tuners in the past did not work to well on 160m 75/80m like to its few more dollers but you like the tuner had the ver 1.22 went the ver 1.23 very nice well made i very happy

N3BM Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2012 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second auto tuner, but the first from Palstar. It's the best - by far - that I've ever owned! It's high quality, built like a tank and built by hand in Ohio. It is an automatic inductor tuner, with auto sensing, which means that there's no cable connection necessary to any rig - including vintage rigs. I've had great support from Paul and Palstar in general. Paul answered new guy questions quickly and honestly. Feature request discussions on the users group site resulted in changes to the firmware within a matter of weeks. I especially like the automatic antenna selection based on frequency feature. The previous version assigned the antenna ports based on a range of frequencies but the result was that antenna port three always ended up for 6 meters only. That's great, but if you've got a dummy load on port three, not so much. The new firmware - version 1.23 - solves this problem and makes it extremely easy for port three to be assigned to the dummy load for tuning. It's a pricy tuner but worth every penny!

K6STN Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the HF-Auto tuner directly from Paul at Palstar, thus getting the latest version of firmware already loaded.
The tuner has performed flawlessly since I installed it about 3 months ago.
The 3 antenna ports allows me to use two antennae, and a dummy load.
The auto antenna feature if selected from the menue, allows the tuner to automatically select which antenna to use depending on how you set up the frequencies. For instance, I use the tribander for 20 and up, when I switch bands to say 15 meters, the tuner automatically switches to the yagi.
The firmware is periodically upgraded on the website, and can be downloaded and installed in minutes.
I own several pieces of Palstar equipment, and as always I am impressed by the quality of construction and components used. A very solid piece of gear.
Andrew
K6STN

N0FSD Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Palstar HF-Auto tuner for three reasons, flexibility, power handling ability, and ergonomics. I have to say this tuner meets these criteria with high marks.
Over the years Iíve accumulated a number of HF rigs. Most of these are tube radios and have no interface for an automatic tuner. Iím happy to say the HF Auto works as well with the SB-34 radios I restore, as well as my Yaesu 950. Iíve also used this tuner with a Kenwood TS-830 and it works perfectly.
The interface allows the tuner to come up in any mode the user desires. For my use I have placed a dummy load on antenna 3 and have the tuner in bypass mode on power-up. This is ideal for tuning up tube rigs and loading amplifiers. And, it removes the possibility of high power tuning before the tuner has matched the antenna.
As far as power handling is concerned this tuner has had no problems with any of my amplifiers. I have used it with a sweep tube SB2-LA rated at 1,000 watts input, a Heathkit HL-2200 dual 3-500z amp, and a Ten Tec Titan running a pair of 3CX-800ís. Iíve had no problems with arcing on any band from 160 to 10 meters.
Iím very pleased with the ergonomics on this tuner. Switching between antennas and modes is a snap. The large display is a welcome sight to my eyes and I can read it easily from six feet away. The frequency readout is topnotch. When Iím using 60 year old vacuum tube radios that have a tendency to drift I can see exactly where I am. The tuner is quick and responsive and has been able to match my W9INN fan dipole with no problems.