Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV6D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV6D
Wouxun KG-UV6D Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $184.99
Description: Dual band VHF/UHF, 200 channel commercial and ham
transceiver. Freq. range: 136-174, 420-470MHz. Includes the
2.5 step for FCC 2013 narrowband compliance. Upgraded
1700mAH Li-ion battery pack. Standard SMA antenna connector.
Part 90 certified for commercial use.
More info: http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UV6D.htm

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV6D.

PA3KVE Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Simply great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have this porto for some months.
Is a great little rig.

Good battery life and a lot of options.

Free software and handy to program.

KC7QMF Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2013 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Tremendous value for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the KG-UV6D v2 (unblocked) from Import Communications, a licensed Wouxon distributor. I gave this unit a "4" for price and features. The price plus shipping was an unbelievable $127.50. The radio arrived with the supplied accessories: Radio, dual-band antenna, 1700 mAh battery, belt clip, stand-up charger, manual and wrist strap.
Features: Six character alpha-numeric display, 2.5 kHz tuning step, FM wide and narrow (25/12.5 kHz) band transmit, TX & RX - 136-174 & 420-520, 199 memory channels, lockable keypad and menu buttons, female SMA antenna connector, 18 month warranty from factory in China. (Probably will cost more to send it in for repair than to just buy a new one).
Programming the unit is anything but intuitive. I I programmed the unit with the aid of the supplied user manual in about 4 hours.
Audio was loud and clear both from the internal speaker and external speaker mic (purchased separately).
Transmit audio was excellent and the unit was able to hit a distant repeater with the supplied dual band antenna.
Battery life is good and on a par with what you would expect from the supplied 7.4v/1700mah Li-ion battery.
I downloaded the programming software and driver from Wouxon. I could not get it to work with my computer (I suspect that the software does not play nice with Windows 7).
Manual is difficult but not impossible to use. The syntax and grammar are fair to poor with several grammatical and spelling errors.
The radio lacks some features that I would like to see in future versions: Software-lock switchable for PTT button, keypad or both. More options for software defined switches. Edit the scan list from the keypad.
Summary: If you are looking for a radio with lots of bells and whistles like advanced paging, dual-band repeat, etc. this is not your radio. If you are looking for a decent dual-band radio at a bargain basement price, the Wouxon KG-UV6D deserves a close look.

KD0VTO Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2013 21:19 Send this review to a friend
A good radio at a good price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had two of these radios for a while now. They have a reputation for being difficult to program, but I have little in the way of complaint regarding that aspect. It seems easy enough to program from my perspective--just punch in an offset direction, offset amount, PL tone, etc when you want to use a repeater. It only takes a moment, but I wouldn't want to do that if I hopped repeaters much. Fortunately, it's easy to program in favorite repeaters using KG-UV Commander which to me seems better than Wouxun's own software.

In terms of physical performance, the radios seem to do well. I've observed strong reception in many situations that I had imagined would be challenging. Transmit performance seems to be good as well. I haven't had any trouble hitting the endpoints and repeaters I've tried to around town. The stock antenna works, but I quickly installed Nagoya NA-771 antennas. I'm not familiar enough with the stock unit to say if it was really a necessary upgrade.

Audio performance is quite good. Both sending and receiving results in clear, intelligible audio under most circumstances. It's possible to pair the radio up with an external microphone/speaker combo that offers a headphone jack which may be optionally used. That accessory is inexpensive and seems to be well constructed. The external speaker is not quite as clear as the speaker built into the HT itself but is still of good quality.

Battery life is quite notable. In my testing, the unit will happily sit in standby with reasonable receive activity for a full two days on a fresh charge of its stock lithium ion battery pack. My last test made it about 52 hours, but that doesn't include any transmission. I've not tested battery life using alkaline batteries in the optional AA battery pack yet. It's worth stating that the AA battery pack accessory cannot be filled with NiMH or NiCd rechargeables. The unit isn't built to utilize voltage levels that low and will quickly shut off due to insufficient voltage if it powers on at all.

The only difficulty with performance that I've observed to date is trying to work satellites. I've yet to successfully receive anything downlink activity, but it could be due to my inexperience. I know it's hard (but supposedly sometimes possible) to do with a whip, so I thought I'd give it the old college try. I can hardly fault the radio for this—it seems to have generally good sensitivity.

Would I suggest these radios to others looking for an inexpensive HT? Absolutely. They're a great value and well constructed.

HANDYRADIO Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2013 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Great quality handy   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Wouxun is probably the best Chinese made radios around. I have used Baofeng, TYT, Quansheng and Puxing etc but Wouxun has always been the preferred choice. UV6D is solid and full of useful functions.

I have found the stock antenna to be very good even compare to my Yaesu VX7R!!! and the Yaesu is 3 times the price!

Here is a video I used the UV6D to make a contact with a special event station. 13 miles into the repeater with no problem.

W8EDV Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 03:15 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this Wouxun radio for almost a year now and it is by far one of the best I have owned and I have owned every brand there is at one time or another, in dual band HT's. I got into the Ham Radio Hobby in 1977 so I've been around this stuff for a while and I don't claim to know everything, but I do know when a radio serves me well and this Wouxun is no exception. It's built with quality material, it's much heavier than the less expensive Chinese hand helds and it performs as well as any Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood I have owned.

I will also say if you're afraid of programming the radio via your computer and some software then this radio isnt for you, however, you can program it without any software, it takes a little patience and extra time as you have to punch in all the information manually via the keypad but I've done it and it's really not hard.

The receiver on this Wouxun is as good if not better than the Yaesu FT-60 I own, and this Wouxun UV-6D hears many of my local repeaters anywhere in my house which is a brick home, and there are places that my Yaesu FT-60 drops the repeater signal, this does not happen with the Wouxun.

Battery life is also very good on this UV-6D it can go all day without a charge. The display is crisp, and clear, and you can set the display to VHF,VHF, UHF, UHF, UHF,VHF, and VHF,UHF, so you can display the frequency to your liking.

The stock antenna that comes with it is ok, but I wanted a little more gain, so I put a Nagoya 771 on it which is about 16 inches long and it made a very significant improvement on the receive. The transmit audio is very good, I am told that if I dont' say what radio I am on, my friends dont know if it's my Yaesu, or my Icom mobile rig, the transmit audio is loud, clear and clean.

I'm very happy with this Wouxun KG-UV6D and I highly recommend it. I also have a Baofeng UV-5R and it's a great little hand held too but this Wouxun cost about 3 times as much as the Baofeng and you can tell that this Wouxun is a quality radio and a real performer. There is one feature I wish they had implemented on this radio, and maybe I havent found it , and that is when a signal comes in, I would like the display to light up like the little Baofeng radio does but thats not a deal breaker for me, I love this Wouxun, and it's my daily workhorse, I rarely use the Yaesu anymore. Buy one, you won't regret it, for the price this radio will surprise you.

KK4FWE Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2013 15:43 Send this review to a friend
radio is good not great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a good HT really not easy to program the instruction manual will drive you nuts. I have a Yaesu FT-60 It is more rugged and much easier to program. I will keep the wouxum but the yaesu beats it hands down!!

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
UPDARE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dropped mine twice pretty hard already...NO DAMAGE! Battery housing only a slight scratch. Pretty rugged so far.

WQPB604 Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2013 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would honestly rate at 4.5 if I could. I bought two of these in May, 2012 for $169 ea. w/Programming cable, software & charger off eBay, shipping included. The 1700 ma. li-on battery seems to just go forever but never leave the battery in the unit if you don't plan on using it for awhile. There is a parasitic drain on the battery that will leave it dead within a week or two even though the unit is turned off.
Some HT's are just intuitive to program, this isn't one of them. Let's just say that some HT's where designed for PC programming and this is the category in which this radio belongs. It's a breeze to program with a PC, FPP.....eh, not so much.
I have the "commercial version" radios that receive and transmit at 136-174 MHz and 420-520 MHz. The radios I have are the V2 or version 2 that have 2.5 KHz stepping as opposed to the 5 KHz in the original version. Receive and transmit are strong and the volume is certainly loud & clear. No problems hitting local repeaters using a Comet BNC-24 antenna. The stock antenna is ok but there are much better antennas available. Here in the DFW area, that's about all I can hope for. I'm not a big fan of SMA connectors and installed a BNC adapter for the antenna. I change antennas according to conditions and just fear wearing out the SMA connector.
Overall, this is a very good radio and has been a solid performer for the money. You can even listen to your favorite commercial FM radio stations. I haven't dropped tested or abused my radios so I can't comment on durability but so far, no problems. There's a built-in LED flashlight and the display and keypad are both backlit. Good radio for the first timer, casual user or seasoned pro who would rather leave the expensive one at home. Get the programming cable & software. You'll be glad you did.

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2013 11:51 Send this review to a friend
KG-UV6D - V2...pretty good overall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got mine and spent a whole day putting it thru it's paces. It says it's V2 (version 2) whatever that means. I see D, X, and now V2 models and V2 is supposed to be the latest version.

The software wasn't too bad once I learned it. Manual programming is slightly harder than the "Big 3" but not real difficult.

Comparing it to my Yaesu FT60, the Wouxun 6D is a little more sensitive and is a little more prone to picking up computer and consumer electronic hash than my FT60, but using full CTCSS stopped unwanted squelch breaking. Audio reports said I was loud and hammering the repeater pretty good

For the price / performance / options ratio...I consider this a real keeper and plan on getting another one later on.

YMMV...73.
Todd - KT0DD

N0TRK Rating: 3/5 Dec 24, 2012 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Eh!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not a beginners radio, but a nice cheap alternative to carrying a more expensive radio on public service events or just to have a spare radio

You do not need the software to program the radio. I am female, blonde and over 50 and managed just fine. Follow the instructions, don't assume you know what the next step is.

If you have to use software to program a radio, there is something wrong somewhere.

The radio has lots of audio, and I have gotten good audio reports.