Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV6D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV6D
Wouxun KG-UV6D Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $184.99
Description: Dual band VHF/UHF, 200 channel commercial and ham
transceiver. Freq. range: 136-174, 420-470MHz. Includes the
2.5 step for FCC 2013 narrowband compliance. Upgraded
1700mAH Li-ion battery pack. Standard SMA antenna connector.
Part 90 certified for commercial use.

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV6D.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
UPDARE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dropped mine twice pretty hard already...NO DAMAGE! Battery housing only a slight scratch. Pretty rugged so far.
WQPB604 Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2013 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would honestly rate at 4.5 if I could. I bought two of these in May, 2012 for $169 ea. w/Programming cable, software & charger off eBay, shipping included. The 1700 ma. li-on battery seems to just go forever but never leave the battery in the unit if you don't plan on using it for awhile. There is a parasitic drain on the battery that will leave it dead within a week or two even though the unit is turned off.
Some HT's are just intuitive to program, this isn't one of them. Let's just say that some HT's where designed for PC programming and this is the category in which this radio belongs. It's a breeze to program with a PC,, not so much.
I have the "commercial version" radios that receive and transmit at 136-174 MHz and 420-520 MHz. The radios I have are the V2 or version 2 that have 2.5 KHz stepping as opposed to the 5 KHz in the original version. Receive and transmit are strong and the volume is certainly loud & clear. No problems hitting local repeaters using a Comet BNC-24 antenna. The stock antenna is ok but there are much better antennas available. Here in the DFW area, that's about all I can hope for. I'm not a big fan of SMA connectors and installed a BNC adapter for the antenna. I change antennas according to conditions and just fear wearing out the SMA connector.
Overall, this is a very good radio and has been a solid performer for the money. You can even listen to your favorite commercial FM radio stations. I haven't dropped tested or abused my radios so I can't comment on durability but so far, no problems. There's a built-in LED flashlight and the display and keypad are both backlit. Good radio for the first timer, casual user or seasoned pro who would rather leave the expensive one at home. Get the programming cable & software. You'll be glad you did.
KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2013 11:51 Send this review to a friend
KG-UV6D - V2...pretty good overall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got mine and spent a whole day putting it thru it's paces. It says it's V2 (version 2) whatever that means. I see D, X, and now V2 models and V2 is supposed to be the latest version.

The software wasn't too bad once I learned it. Manual programming is slightly harder than the "Big 3" but not real difficult.

Comparing it to my Yaesu FT60, the Wouxun 6D is a little more sensitive and is a little more prone to picking up computer and consumer electronic hash than my FT60, but using full CTCSS stopped unwanted squelch breaking. Audio reports said I was loud and hammering the repeater pretty good

For the price / performance / options ratio...I consider this a real keeper and plan on getting another one later on.

Todd - KT0DD
N0TRK Rating: 3/5 Dec 24, 2012 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Eh!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not a beginners radio, but a nice cheap alternative to carrying a more expensive radio on public service events or just to have a spare radio

You do not need the software to program the radio. I am female, blonde and over 50 and managed just fine. Follow the instructions, don't assume you know what the next step is.

If you have to use software to program a radio, there is something wrong somewhere.

The radio has lots of audio, and I have gotten good audio reports.
IZ4UFQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2012 04:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio, slow CPU  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A nice HT that simply works. It seems to me that it has a better receiver than the one in my Kenwood TH-F7E. In more than one occasion I experienced a better reception of distant repeaters (in 70 cm band) on the Wouxun than on my Kenwood TH-F7, both using stock antennas and aftermarket ones. I have not really tested the radios on proper lab instruments, but I am going to do it if I can.

What the Wouxun really needs is a faster CPU. Every user input (buttons, rotary encoder, etc) requires a fifth of a second or so to be processed, so if you are fast at entering data (or at changing frequency or memory channel with the rotary encoder) the radio cannot process your input at all. Quickly rotate the encoder to get five frequency steps up, for example, and you end up getting only two steps up.

There is also an issue with batteries being drained even if the radio is turned off. If you leave the battery installed in the radio it will be slowly drained (it will die in about 20 days) even if it was fully charged and the radio is not turned on.

It also lacks the remote control capabilities of the Kenwood HTs (three programmable buttons on the external mic/sp connection) that I use much, but this goes beyond "common" use, I suppose.

So, even if not perfect, this radio delivers very good performance for a little price, so I can say that I like it, but it could be better.
K7DB Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2012 00:49 Send this review to a friend
This radio does have an FCC equipment authorization grant  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Based on a recent post, there seems to be some confusion about whether the KG-UV6D radio has an equipment authorization certificate from the FCC. It does.

Earlier KG-UV6D radios -- like mine -- had an FCC label with FCC ID WVTWOUXUN04. This is the same FCC ID as several earlier Wouxun dual-band handheld radios. Note that it is common for FCC authorized equipment to be marketed under multiple names, and 47 CFR 2.1043 identifies which kinds of changes can be made to authorized equipment without additional filings with the FCC.

Wouxun later obtained an equipment grant with FCC ID WVTWOUXUN07. The Cover Letter for this FCC filing identifies about 24 different model names for equipment under this equipment authorization -- including KG-UVD1P, KG-UV6D, and many others. The equipment grant date for this FCC ID is 4/18/2012.
AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2012 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Another GREAT HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just want to say that so many hams keep telling me I need the CD and cord and need to program the HT's.
It's all BS,.\To many hams thrive on being computer geek's
I have the 1/220,the 2/440 and the commercial KG UV6D.
I programmed all 3 by reading the manual and after three or four times I had mine set up for 2 440 repeaters and my friend was still scratching his head with the software:-)
If the software were needed then you wouldn't need a manual.
I don't feel well known ham radio suppliers would be selling the KG UV6D if it did not meet FCC specs.
K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Great rig big features for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's been covered here. This is a great handheld rig for a new ham or the ham that is on a budget. This radio does what it says it'll do and it sounds great doing so. The programming software is a must, and this rig works best in an environment where a VFO isn't needed, that is to say, channelized, repeater and simplex operation only. You can enter a frequency from the keypad, but it's a process until you've practiced it a few times.

I feel obligated to mention that, although sellers of the UV6D tout the "FCC Part 90 compliance", this term means little or nothing to we hams. It is important to note that the KG-UV6D is NOT YET (AND MAY NEVER BE) FCC TYPE ACCEPTED for ANY US RADIO SERVICE!!! This means that if you use this rig to transmit on FRS/GMRS or MURS, volunteer fire department repeaters, or similar systems, you're violating the law. Just sayin. Given the ease of access the general public has to these radios, we can expect huge numbers of violations, especially on the FRS/GMRS and MURS frequencies. "Freebanders", hunters, fireman and cop wannabes are naturally attracted to toys like this. Expect periodic incursions into our bands because of it!

I know I risked sounding more like a soapbox than a review, but the Wouxun KG-UV6D really is a great radio with a lot of features found on YaeKenCom rigs costing twice as much or more! I bought my KG-UV6D to replace my aging (but still great) Yaesu FT-470. The '470 is and always was a wonderful rig, but without wideband coverage, no DCS, and only 20 memories, it was time to upgrade a bit.
KE5DFR Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2012 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Pretty nice for the $$$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Aside from the really sorry manual, or lack of manual, it is a nice radio for the $$$. I like the fact that I can program in the channels I want. Do not try to program it from the keypad....major head ache. Get the programming cable and software and it is easy to set up.

The Menu + S/D key combo to go from VFO to channel use, is not documented properly. In the sosftware, delete the 121212 pass code and leave it blank. The write to the radio and you can easily get the change from channel mode to VFO mode.
K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Aug 29, 2012 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Damn FB HT!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After dealing with that POS Baofeng UV-5R this is a nice HT!!! I'm impressed with the quality and receive/transmit audio and selectivity....the receive squelch has never once hiccuped which is a pleasant surprise. The Baofeng UV-5R receiver would "burp" all day long for no reason.

Like most Chinese radios, it's a bit goofy to operate...

You gotta buy the USB-to-serial cable (and free Commander software) if you want to maintain your sanity when programming your HT-- with the software very easy to program.

Cheers All