Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV6D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV6D
Wouxun KG-UV6D Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $184.99
Description: Dual band VHF/UHF, 200 channel commercial and ham
transceiver. Freq. range: 136-174, 420-470MHz. Includes the
2.5 step for FCC 2013 narrowband compliance. Upgraded
1700mAH Li-ion battery pack. Standard SMA antenna connector.
Part 90 certified for commercial use.
More info: http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UV6D.htm

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV6D.

N0TRK Rating: 3/5 Dec 24, 2012 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Eh!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not a beginners radio, but a nice cheap alternative to carrying a more expensive radio on public service events or just to have a spare radio

You do not need the software to program the radio. I am female, blonde and over 50 and managed just fine. Follow the instructions, don't assume you know what the next step is.

If you have to use software to program a radio, there is something wrong somewhere.

The radio has lots of audio, and I have gotten good audio reports.

IZ4UFQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2012 04:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio, slow CPU  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A nice HT that simply works. It seems to me that it has a better receiver than the one in my Kenwood TH-F7E. In more than one occasion I experienced a better reception of distant repeaters (in 70 cm band) on the Wouxun than on my Kenwood TH-F7, both using stock antennas and aftermarket ones. I have not really tested the radios on proper lab instruments, but I am going to do it if I can.

What the Wouxun really needs is a faster CPU. Every user input (buttons, rotary encoder, etc) requires a fifth of a second or so to be processed, so if you are fast at entering data (or at changing frequency or memory channel with the rotary encoder) the radio cannot process your input at all. Quickly rotate the encoder to get five frequency steps up, for example, and you end up getting only two steps up.

There is also an issue with batteries being drained even if the radio is turned off. If you leave the battery installed in the radio it will be slowly drained (it will die in about 20 days) even if it was fully charged and the radio is not turned on.

It also lacks the remote control capabilities of the Kenwood HTs (three programmable buttons on the external mic/sp connection) that I use much, but this goes beyond "common" use, I suppose.

So, even if not perfect, this radio delivers very good performance for a little price, so I can say that I like it, but it could be better.

K7DB Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2012 00:49 Send this review to a friend
This radio does have an FCC equipment authorization grant  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Based on a recent post, there seems to be some confusion about whether the KG-UV6D radio has an equipment authorization certificate from the FCC. It does.

Earlier KG-UV6D radios -- like mine -- had an FCC label with FCC ID WVTWOUXUN04. This is the same FCC ID as several earlier Wouxun dual-band handheld radios. Note that it is common for FCC authorized equipment to be marketed under multiple names, and 47 CFR 2.1043 identifies which kinds of changes can be made to authorized equipment without additional filings with the FCC.

Wouxun later obtained an equipment grant with FCC ID WVTWOUXUN07. The Cover Letter for this FCC filing identifies about 24 different model names for equipment under this equipment authorization -- including KG-UVD1P, KG-UV6D, and many others. The equipment grant date for this FCC ID is 4/18/2012.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2012 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Another GREAT HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just want to say that so many hams keep telling me I need the CD and cord and need to program the HT's.
It's all BS,.\To many hams thrive on being computer geek's
I have the 1/220,the 2/440 and the commercial KG UV6D.
I programmed all 3 by reading the manual and after three or four times I had mine set up for 2 440 repeaters and my friend was still scratching his head with the software:-)
If the software were needed then you wouldn't need a manual.
I don't feel well known ham radio suppliers would be selling the KG UV6D if it did not meet FCC specs.
BOB
AF2Q

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Great rig big features for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's been covered here. This is a great handheld rig for a new ham or the ham that is on a budget. This radio does what it says it'll do and it sounds great doing so. The programming software is a must, and this rig works best in an environment where a VFO isn't needed, that is to say, channelized, repeater and simplex operation only. You can enter a frequency from the keypad, but it's a process until you've practiced it a few times.

I feel obligated to mention that, although sellers of the UV6D tout the "FCC Part 90 compliance", this term means little or nothing to we hams. It is important to note that the KG-UV6D is NOT YET (AND MAY NEVER BE) FCC TYPE ACCEPTED for ANY US RADIO SERVICE!!! This means that if you use this rig to transmit on FRS/GMRS or MURS, volunteer fire department repeaters, or similar systems, you're violating the law. Just sayin. Given the ease of access the general public has to these radios, we can expect huge numbers of violations, especially on the FRS/GMRS and MURS frequencies. "Freebanders", hunters, fireman and cop wannabes are naturally attracted to toys like this. Expect periodic incursions into our bands because of it!

I know I risked sounding more like a soapbox than a review, but the Wouxun KG-UV6D really is a great radio with a lot of features found on YaeKenCom rigs costing twice as much or more! I bought my KG-UV6D to replace my aging (but still great) Yaesu FT-470. The '470 is and always was a wonderful rig, but without wideband coverage, no DCS, and only 20 memories, it was time to upgrade a bit.

KE5DFR Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2012 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Pretty nice for the $$$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Aside from the really sorry manual, or lack of manual, it is a nice radio for the $$$. I like the fact that I can program in the channels I want. Do not try to program it from the keypad....major head ache. Get the programming cable and software and it is easy to set up.

The Menu + S/D key combo to go from VFO to channel use, is not documented properly. In the sosftware, delete the 121212 pass code and leave it blank. The write to the radio and you can easily get the change from channel mode to VFO mode.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Aug 29, 2012 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Damn FB HT!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After dealing with that POS Baofeng UV-5R this is a nice HT!!! I'm impressed with the quality and receive/transmit audio and selectivity....the receive squelch has never once hiccuped which is a pleasant surprise. The F...ing Baofeng UV-5R receiver would "burp" all day long for no reason.

Like most Chinese radios, it's a bit goofy to operate...

You gotta buy the USB-to-serial cable (and free Commander software) if you want to maintain your sanity when programming your HT-- with the software very easy to program.

Cheers All

K2NCC Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2012 22:28 Send this review to a friend
I hope I'm this happy a decade from now!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My experience with the Wouxun KG-UV6D is, as I tell folks, "80%-20%". Against the aging Yaesu VX-5R I sold to get it. In favor of the Wouxun.

There are things I miss in the Yaesu, like wide receive, spectrum scanning, 6-meter ability (not that I ever used it.) My trucking scanner makes up for the RX freqs I lost there. Dual-receive of the 6D is nice. So is Part 90 cert. Wide transmit with matching antenna. Big bright screen. Some folks like the speech ability. I think the receive of the Yaesu was better.

I think the Wouxun looks a bit toy-like, but it feels great in the hand. Good weight, nice 1700mah battery, you can take it on the boat and not bother with splashes, quick feature access & menus.

Does usually come with the drop-in charger, but you sacrifice charging it any other way. Even in the car, you'll need the drop-in base to connect the lighter-cord.

The 6D is bigger than the 5R, but I enjoy the bigger buttons and screen. Perhaps I'm getting old, but easy-to-read is important.

For several reasons, be SURE to get the programming cable with it. The software and USB drivers are free. If you plan on using it much, save a few bucks and get a spare battery while you're at it.

A complete package for about $200 is not bad. The VX-5R was $400 back in the day, for whatever that's worth now.

So far I have no complaints. I hope this is a direction all Chinese products move to: Inexpensive but not cheap. I hope to be as pleased with it in 10 years!

AA2HA Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2012 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The receive seems very good, but I'm in rural area so intermod is not an issue here. I'm not sure about the selectivity, but the sensitivity is very good. For the price, you can't beat this radio. The supplied battery holds a charge well, and lasts a long time.
Now to the bane of my existence...Programming! Programming this radio by keypad is nothing short of a nightmare! There is no way, humanly possible, to program this "on the fly" without a manual, some time to kill, and an ample supply of obscenities. If you have a liberal amount of the above, you may succeed.
I suppose nearly all new radios have menus within menus, with variables within these menus, sub-menus, etc.
On the bright side, the manual does contain some rather amusing English translations. The manual is, however, difficult to follow (at best) and not well laid out.
If you just need to program some frequencies and use the radio, you're fine. If you travel a lot and want perform random searching and programming, you better carry the manual with you. (and a few Valium)
Overall the radio itself is amazing for the price ($119.00 on ebay) If programming were a bit better (menus that we can understand, without a manual) they would have a grand slam! I give the radio itself a solid 5, but having to change button functions (within one menu) to change one thing (within a different menu) before you can proceed to change the original thing (withing another menu) can be frustrating.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2012 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Much Improved over 1P  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

The 1P's are great radios, but the 6D has better feel, better speaker, better features that make it well worth upgrading to, and it uses the same batteries, etc. Yes, even the "new" software still sucks, but it works IF you just follow the instructions. My XYL and I use our 6D's for Ham, Army MARS,Marine Channels,GMRS and VFD. I think they well-earn the 5 rating, and with an 18 month warranty from wouxun.fl and other US Distributors, how can you go wrong for $150?

Note: We used the KG-UVD1P's for 2 years with NO issues at all.