Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Youkits FG-01 graphic antenna analyzer Help

Reviews Summary for Youkits FG-01 graphic antenna analyzer
Youkits FG-01 graphic antenna analyzer Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $249
Description: Antenna analyzer covering 1 - 60 mhz
More info: http://www.youkits.com

You can write your own review of the Youkits FG-01 graphic antenna analyzer.

K6ROW Rating: 3/5 Sep 8, 2013 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Analyzer Great, Powering not so good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my unit for about 6 months. It was terrific in helping me align my Hustler 6BTV. I charged it up (I thought) for a camping trip to align my Buddipole. It was DOA at the campsite. At home I found the battery had failed and wouldn't take a charge. That's unacceptable battery life to me, especially for a $30 rechargeable battery. The regular battery holder only uses Lithium batteries which are very expensive! Great analysis tool, poor powering arrangements.

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2013 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Handy device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine arrived two days ago - ordered from Waters and Stanton in the UK, while I am here on vacation. I wanted to wait for a MKII version to come out, thinking they would increase the size of the display. Sure enough, the new MKII has a bigger screen, but not much bigger - a little wider than the original one. I have owned the MFJ and still own the Comet SWR alanyzer, but this one is a really handy size and gives great detail on the SWR and impedance curves of your antenna. Definitely a worthwhile investment for anyone that likes to tinker with antennas.

For the previous review, this analyzer needs the optional rechargeable battery pack to power up properly - not just any AA batteries. If the current capacity of the battery is not enough, it simply will not power up. Or, an external 10 - 12v source can be plugged into the top to power it up properly.

John, ZS5J

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2013 23:51 Send this review to a friend
happy with mine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Does everything I want without complications, the graphic display is excellent. For those who have had failures, they do very clearly state NOT to run it without an antenna connected as it will overheat. Also it will only work with the specified batteries.

V 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

N0FPE Rating: 0/5 Aug 28, 2013 16:27 Send this review to a friend
DOA out of the box...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well I got mine today....First the connector on the battery holder was no good. fixed that. put in a nice fresh set of batteries and have good voltage out to the main switch. and good power thru the switch. Dead as a doornail..nothing....it came direct from Youkits...so I am kinda screwed unless I can get the company to send another one(hopefully good). Oh well I was all set to play this weekend testing all my HF antennas...

KA9MOT Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2013 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned/used many analyzers in the past. MFJ, AEA, Autek. I liked only the AEA better, but this analyzer costs hundreds less.
I purchased the lithium battery and other than the fact that you need to use the supplied double sided foam tape to secure it inside the cover, I was very pleased. Once you get it placed in the correct spot (precision work here) the cover goes back on and all is forgiven the first time you use this little gem.

Will I purchase another brand analyzer? Maybe, but not until this one dies.

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Great little performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used mine frequently over the last 1,5 years.
Always worked 100% and no hick-ups what so ever :-)
Works in -15 DGC no problems.

If you need a small, simple but competent analyzer,
you will not find a better product or better price.

73/

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2013 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Most Accurate !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little gem gives the same SWR readings as my
LP - 100A & my TEN TEC ORION .
My other rigs ; FTdx - 5000D ,TS-590s & MFJ 259B
show a much lower indicated SWR often 1:1 which is not true .
The size is great fer tuning my antennas out doors.
When U take the covers off you'll see a lot of electronics inside explaining why it works so well.

ON4CCU Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2013 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Very useful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought his little piece of kit, my only regret is that I didn't order it any earlier.

Field tuning my Buddistick (which can be challenging because set-up conditions vary quite a bit) has become a lot easier now that I can actually see where the antenna resonates. Big improvement over the "trial and error" method I was using before, running back and forward to key the TX to check SWR each time I made an adjustment to the antenna ;-)
The adjustable sweep range also gives you a nice graphical view of the SWR and impedance curve of a particular antenna, quite handy to check for potential anomalies.

It's compact enough for portable use, maybe a little heavy, but that's mainly due to the metal enclosure, which does make it rugged enough for trail use though...everything has its pro's and con's.

So, a very practical device that runs for a long time from the (optional) internal battery, for a reasonable price.

73 de Bart - ON4CCU

N4NUI Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Great for quiclky tuning a moble antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I frequently use rental cars while traveling for my profession and I carry a small tranceiver around with me. I recently purchased an MFJ-1661 and the Gorilla magnetic mount because it fits into the carry-on case with the radio. It is a pain to tune the 1661 using just the SWR meter on the rig so I ordered the FG-01 from Ten-Tec. The FG-01 is a joy to use. The graphical display makes it a snap to see the resonance and impedance points and move the tuning coil sleeve on the manual screwdriver to the optimum point on each band. I have two other analyzers (MFJs) at the home QTH and this little FG-01 is much more frequency stable. One of the antennas I have at the home shack is the Butternut Butterfly 2-element beam. It was a chore to tune with the MFJ analyzers because you tune the diriven element and the reflector differently. The ability to select the FG-01 graphical display to show a band span setting between 10KHz and 20Mhz would have made that chore much easier.

The FG-01 is small enough to fit in the radio carry-on case with the radio and the antenna.

I ordered the LiPo battery accessory. If you order one, order the LiPo battery and the BNC to PL-259 adapter.

I have seen the reviews about the FG-01 taking a dump after a while from internal heat so I am not leaving it on longer than necessary.

KD8TZC Rating: 2/5 Apr 4, 2013 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Dead out of the box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really had great hopes for this little unit, but when I got it and charged it, all I got was a white screen. I called Ten Tec up and they are shipping a new one out today and told me to return the old one as soon as I get the new one. Hopefully this was just a manufacturing issue. The tech at Ten Tech said he thinks a crystal may have come loose in the unit. Only thing I can think of is it was bad from the start, or something happened in shipping.